Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Due To Popular Demand: The Sunday Thread (9/20)

Due To Popular Demand: The Sunday Thread (9/20)

As we reflect on the week just past, highlighted (?) by the 50th anniversary of Jimi Hendrix's death, we turn our faces now to the uncertain future and ponder the week ahead.

Today, I'm getting out of the house and taking a day trip: A three hour round-trip train ride on
    The Potomac Eagle, a journey through eagle country. A two hour drive to get there and another two to get back, will fill up the day. I've charged up my camera's battery (yeah, no phone photography this time!) and hope to capture some of those magnificent birds. The weather is forecast to be sunny and about 67°, so crossing my fingers, this may be the "summer vacation" I didn't get recently.

I'm hoping everyone has a terrific Sunday! Stay well.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: Due To Popular Demand: The Sunday Thread (9/20)

Good morning all! Frosty start to the day. It's cold out there this morning. I'm glad to see it - I need to spend time outside working on my deck and it has been too hot to do much at a time. OA - enjoy that cruise we did an eagle cruise here in Connecticut a couple years ago and had a great time - took a lot of pictures. We would normally do a whale watch around this time, but not this year.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

I went to Memphis yesterday to pick up my son. He works in LA, but since March, he's been working out of Memphis at his fiancée's.

He works a lot, so it's a real treat to get to spend a few days with him. Last night, we grilled the best f***ing rib-eye I've ever had. Don't mean to brag, but at 58, I'm just learning how to properly cook a steak to get it tender and juicy. We watched One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. What a fantastic film. I hadn't seen it since the late 70s. I felt the same sense of injustice I had then, but now it's backed up by experience. Powerful movie.

He's great about helping me with jobs I can't do alone--then makes me work as hard as he does--29 year old doesn't understand that I'm getting older and have less stamina. It's too bad I won't live long enough to point my finger at him and say, "You goober--you understand it now." ha ha
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I hope everyone has a great Sunday as we cruise into the season of fall.

Yesterday I pulled my '78 Eldorado out of the garage for the first time since last summer and found there is something massively squealing on the passenger side of the car as it goes down the road so it will have to be in the shop before winter sets in. I think it is probably a wheel bearing going so we'll address all of them.

Rock on!

G’morning lads...

A nippy day up here in the Deep North. Having my coffee inside this am for the first time in months. Fired up the gas fireplace for a spell last night. Fall is definitely settling in.

wife’s first week back with students in the Covid era. She just says it’s surreal and figures they’ll be shutting the schools within weeks.

Finished moving my Mom into assisted living this week and now have my lawyer involved in getting her out of the contract with the slimy real estate agent. Hopefully have that resolved soon. I’m really surprised they’ve dug their heels in so deep. Damaging their reputations for a few thousand dollars of commission doesn’t make sense. Must be desperate times out there despite the real estate market being super hot around here right now. Bizzare.

my bandmates and I are starting to record some performance videos; separately and asynchronously - just like the big boys do! I bought a new DSLR to do this. My old DLSR is so old it doesn’t have video capabilities! We’re doing mostly originals but might have to throw in some covers to jump start the process. Heavy versions of Paint it Black and War Pigs were things we were working on prior to lockdown. I’m tinkering around with synths and we are shooting for more “industrial” feel - like NIN or Rammstein. But still guitar heavy.

OldStrummer- that sounds like a nice day! Please share your pics here!

I might go to a local car show, maybe play with some speakers in my amps, maybe change the oil in the Miata and/or wash the car.

Forum Member

Laker, wasn't the 78 Eldo the last of the "real" Caddy front wheel drives?
    My nephew is down for a visit, his grandpaw isn't doing well, visited with him last night at his mom's house. He's only got 6 more years, and he retires from the Las Vegas (Nevada), PD. Guess we will get together later today, and shoot a little. Being the only male left of all the cousins, the girls really enjoy having him around to visit.

it got pretty nippy around here, has for a few days but yesterday seeing 64 degrees in the apartment was too much, so I broke out the space heater for my room. This morning I come out and find my brother has the oven going with the door open. I'm going to the storage unit and pick up the other two space heaters. The building management is not going to turn the heat on until after the next wave of warm weather later this week. Yeah, we ain't waiting

Our mayor and 6 other people in City Hall tested positive for Covid-19, shutting the building down yet again.

I might grab a few boxes of music books as long as I'm at the storage facility. I want to work on some material and need reference sources. I want to find my CDs as well. Spotify is great but I'm finding Bluetooth in the car is less optimal than I had hoped for, so back to the past.

I am pondering what to do about the new Audio-Technica headphones I got a couple weeks ago. I'm just not finding them all that comfortable but wonder if it's a matter of wearing them enough that they get 'broken-in'. Both the Sonys feel the same and they're at least a year if not 2 years apart. I also seem to prefer the sound of the Sonys, too. I kind of hate to return headphones, I doubt if they can be resold.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    Laker, wasn't the 78 Eldo the last of the "real" Caddy front wheel drives?
    My nephew is down for a visit, his grandpaw isn't doing well, visited with him last night at his mom's house. He's only got 6 more years, and he retires from the Las Vegas (Nevada), PD. Guess we will get together later today, and shoot a little. Being the only male left of all the cousins, the girls really enjoy having him around to visit.
    Yes, Bill, the ‘78 was the last of the big Cadillacs. My mother purchased this one new so it has been in the family since. My mother passed it along to me 20 years ago when she said it was beginning to be “too much car” for her. Here’s the old girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    Yes, Bill, the ‘78 was the last of the big Cadillacs. My mother purchased this one new so it has been in the family since. My mother passed it along to me 20 years ago when she said it was beginning to be “too much car” for her. Here’s the old girl.

I would love to find an old sled like that. Friend of my brother had a '69 Lincoln Continental Mark III in black that was just so a cool bad ass car. My first car that I bought was a '64 Eldorado Fleetwood series 78 convertible. I've got a weakness for big old 2 door rides.

Had a very tough week at the office. I have been working like a sled dog because of the Coronavirus. Things are really hard here.Anyway, good news is that it's beginning to get better and even giga are about to be allowed. Can't wait to step on a stage again.Other than that, I'm arranging the necessary things for the wedding, which will be a simple ceremony, due to the pandemic. If It wasn't for that and If I lived closer to you guys, I'd certainly schedule a TFF meeting!

You could strap my Miata on the back of that! I love how long and angular it is. A hell of a car!

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    it got pretty nippy around here, has for a few days but yesterday seeing 64 degrees in the apartment was too much, so I broke out the space heater for my room. This morning I come out and find my brother has the oven going with the door open. I'm going to the storage unit and pick up the other two space heaters. The building management is not going to turn the heat on until after the next wave of warm weather later this week. Yeah, we ain't waiting

Our mayor and 6 other people in City Hall tested positive for Covid-19, shutting the building down yet again.

I might grab a few boxes of music books as long as I'm at the storage facility. I want to work on some material and need reference sources. I want to find my CDs as well. Spotify is great but I'm finding Bluetooth in the car is less optimal than I had hoped for, so back to the past.

I am pondering what to do about the new Audio-Technica headphones I got a couple weeks ago. I'm just not finding them all that comfortable but wonder if it's a matter of wearing them enough that they get 'broken-in'. Both the Sonys feel the same and they're at least a year if not 2 years apart. I also seem to prefer the sound of the Sonys, too. I kind of hate to return headphones, I doubt if they can be resold.
    I've had the same experience with two sets of A-T headphones I've owned for several years now. Just couldn't wear them for more than an hour. The cushioning is right ON the ear for me. They were also terrible for mixing what with their baked in low end.

I switched in the spring to a set of Sennheiser HD600s. These are truly OVER the ear and are oval in shape. Flatter response than the A-Ts and open back so much better for mixing (for me) compared to the A-Ts. I find the sound fairly transparent and balanced. I can wear them for hours to no ill effect. Only downside is that they are 300 ohm impedance, so you need a relatively high impedance headphone output to drive them. Both my interfaces are rated at <1 ohm at the headphone output, so even cranked, its not all that loud.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    You could strap my Miata on the back of that! I love how long and angular it is. A hell of a car!
    The Eldorado is nice and all, but it ain't no Toronado!

;-)

That car is definitely a collector's item! In my mind, that's the kind of car that defined the term, "Rolling Sofa..."
    Striving to be ordinary

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    I've had the same experience with two sets of A-T headphones I've owned for several years now. Just couldn't wear them for more than an hour. The cushioning is right ON the ear for me. They were also terrible for mixing what with their baked in low end.

I switched in the spring to a set of Sennheiser HD600s. These are truly OVER the ear and are oval in shape. Flatter response than the A-Ts and open back so much better for mixing (for me) compared to the A-Ts. I find the sound fairly transparent and balanced. I can wear them for hours to no ill effect. Only downside is that they are 300 ohm impedance, so you need a relatively high impedance headphone output to drive them. Both my interfaces are rated at <1 ohm at the headphone output, so even cranked, its not all that loud.
    I have a nice set of Sennheiser open back HD59X, somewhere. Got my eye on some planar style open back Avantone, but they're 499 dollars.

my Presonus isn't that loud, either. My iPhone is louder by a considerable amount.

I was playing stuff on iTunes on the computer, doing out to the AI, so I could play along with it. I had to really raise the guitar's track level like up to -5 or -6 in order to hear it over the incoming music from the computer (which I found to not be adjustable, oddly enough).

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    OldStrummer- that sounds like a nice day! Please share your pics here!
    I only took about a dozen photos, and most of them were of the winding South Branch of the Potomac River. Here, you could really imagine George Washington tossing a coin across it! Even if I hadn't seen any eagles, the trip would have been well worth it. A nice, scenic two-hour drive on a gorgeous, cloud-free early Autumn morning, followed by a leisurely three-hour out-and-back train ride. I had my number picked to take a turn on the "gondola," which is simply a flatcar with no roof. Terrific weather, and good for the soul.

I did see a couple of eagles, which was the primary goal, so I batted 1.000 for the trip. Trying to photograph a bald eagle perched in a tree across the river while on a moving train with trees zipping by you hand-holding a long (55-300mm) zoom DX lens (110-600 35mm equivalent) can be quite the challenge. That I actually got one -- even though it's not an award winner -- provides at least evidence of the trip. It was a great day!

Striving to be ordinary

The Eldorado is nice and all, but it ain't no Toronado!

;-)
    I had a ‘73 Toronado back in ‘73/‘75 and it’s very similar to the Eldo as far as drivetrain and size, but the Eldo has a bit more creature comfort.

Fred, that's a great pic.

I have an American friend in Bremen, an artist with a camera whose subjects are mostly birds. His pics are National Geographic good.

As I've aged, I've gotten more interested in ornithology.

So I really like your picture, and thanks for sharing it. I wish you could come to this area--we have a lot of bald eagles 45 minutes from here, on Reelfoot Lake.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I had a ‘73 Toronado back in ‘73/‘75 and it’s very similar to the Eldo as far as drivetrain and size, but the Eldo has a bit more creature comfort.
    As I recall, the Toronado was a front-wheel drive. The Caddy is a rear-wheel drive, is it not?
    Striving to be ordinary

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    As I recall, the Toronado was a front-wheel drive. The Caddy is a rear-wheel drive, is it not?

Interesting, I didn't know they made big V8 cars with front wheel traction back in the 70s...

In the late 60's, I owned a Chaparral. I raced it and even put it through a couple of rapid-speed screw loops.

So I've trumped you all car-wise.

Okay, so mine was only a Hot Wheels car, and I was 8 yrs old.

It looked like this, but I got mine in about 66. I had a briefcase holder for the cars, and it was full. We'd get new tracks for Christmas and birthdays. I can't even begin to calculate how much time I played with those cars. I wish I still had them, but over the years, nephews and nieces played with them and took them, by permission. I'm glad all of these kids got to enjoy them.

Disclaimer: My son works on the marketing team for Hot Wheels. BUT this is not a commercial or "forum product placement" ha ha. I seriously loved Matchbox and Hot Wheels. I try to keep a few around (no freebies from my boy) for when kids and their parents come to visit.

Lately, my James brought me about 10 of the special Hot Wheels Beatles albums series of cars. I'm thinking about building a box frame with Beatles themed thing with a "road" that spirals up a hill, grass on the land, just a fun thing.

Last edited by ch willie; 09-21-2020 at 05:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    The Eldo is also front wheel drive.

'66 was last year of Eldorado rear wheel drive.

Forum Member

Surprisingly,the Olds FWD assy was used in several motor homes in the 70's including the GM, and Cortez. I have never had to repair the TH425 transmission!

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    In the late 60's, I owned a Chaparral. I raced it and even put it through a couple of rapid-speed screw loops.

So I've trumped you all car-wise.

Okay, so mine was only a Hot Wheels car, and I was 8 yrs old.

It looked like this, but I got mine in about 66. I had a briefcase holder for the cars, and it was full. We'd get new tracks for Christmas and birthdays. I can't even begin to calculate how much time I played with those cars. I wish I still had them, but over the years, nephews and nieces played with them and took them, by permission. I'm glad all of these kids got to enjoy them.

Disclaimer: My son works on the marketing team for Hot Wheels. BUT this is not a commercial or "forum product placement" ha ha. I seriously loved Matchbox and Hot Wheels. I try to keep a few around (no freebies from my boy) for when kids and their parents come to visit.

Lately, my James brought me about 10 of the special Hot Wheels Beatles albums series of cars. I'm thinking about building a box frame with Beatles themed thing with a "road" that spirals up a hill, grass on the land, just a fun thing.

Back in the late ‘60s I remember watching Jim Hall and his Chaparral cars run at Wisconsin’s Road America; they were impressive cars to watch on the race track.

Laker, my brother and I used to watch any car race on TV and went to a few Nascar races. We dreamed about these fantastic racers, did the next best thing and totally pulled a Dr. Frankenstein on a couple of old bicycles. I still have literal scars that attest to my story.

Laker, my brother and I used to watch any car race on TV and went to a few Nascar races. We dreamed about these fantastic racers, did the next best thing and totally pulled a Dr. Frankenstein on a couple of old bicycles. I still have literal scars that attest to my story.
    oh, so that was where I got my modding tendencies towards my guitars. I had forgotten about how much I used to 'fix' up my old Schwinn single speed coaster brake rig. I've lost track of how many times I've painted it. Towards the end it had butterfly handle bars, banana seat, shock absorber. I wanted to do extended forks but never could find any. Then my folks got me (and my brother) 10-speeds for christmas and that was the end of that old schwinn. I don't remember what happened to it.

I wouldn't mind one like it, maybe with high rise handle bars instead of the butterfly but yes, big old comfy banana seat and a shock absorber. As long as it could roll like that old bike, they coasted forever.

In our neighborhood, we had a few very nice bikers who belonged to an infamous gang, but they weren't bad guys or dope addict. They just freaked out the older folks.

This gang had choppers, forks as long as they could be. We gasped when we saw them coming down the road and were ecstatic. They'd pop wheelies and ride them for long distances. Long hair and beards--my heroes.

So my brothers chopped the forks off two old bikes and made a chopper--complete with banana seat and sissy bar. i was chosen test pilot--as always--and speeding fast, the bike wobbled and the forks came off. I hit the pavement and tore holes in my feet and legs as I slid for at least 10 feet--in shorts. I was always the crash test dummy.

In our neighborhood, we had a few very nice bikers who belonged to an infamous gang, but they weren't bad guys or dope addict. They just freaked out the older folks.

This gang had choppers, forks as long as they could be. We gasped when we saw them coming down the road and were ecstatic. They'd pop wheelies and ride them for long distances. Long hair and beards--my heroes.

So my brothers chopped the forks off two old bikes and made a chopper--complete with banana seat and sissy bar. i was chosen test pilot--as always--and speeding fast, the bike wobbled and the forks came off. I hit the pavement and tore holes in my feet and legs as I slid for at least 10 feet--in shorts. I was always the crash test dummy.
    Back in the '80s I was one of those "colors wearing" riders. This newspaper photo was me at a Memorial Day event.

Wow Laker. You're just about the coolest bass player I've ever known.

Yeah, they're pretty much the same car with different trim. And the Buick Riviera after the switch from RWD to FWD. E-body - good old GM!

Back in the '80s I was one of those "colors wearing" riders. This newspaper photo was me at a Memorial Day event.
    Did you ever get any grief from the one percenter clubs from having an MC patch on your vest?

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    I have a nice set of Sennheiser open back HD59X, somewhere. Got my eye on some planar style open back Avantone, but they're 499 dollars.

my Presonus isn't that loud, either. My iPhone is louder by a considerable amount.

I was playing stuff on iTunes on the computer, doing out to the AI, so I could play along with it. I had to really raise the guitar's track level like up to -5 or -6 in order to hear it over the incoming music from the computer (which I found to not be adjustable, oddly enough).
    The good stuff isn't cheap, eh?

After I posted this, I got off my duff and started researching different interfaces with higher impedance outputs. I don't think the high impedance stuff is all that common in the audio interface hardware world. I really like the simplicity and form factor of my newish SSL 2+. But just lacks oomph on in the inputs and output. I'm also using notoriously low powered mics (RE20 and SM7B). So, started looking into more outboard stuff - mic preamp and headphone amp, because why not? Landed on the 500-series stuff. Always was intrigued by that stuff. Now I have a valid use case! So, lunchbox and two modules = $1000! And then two empty slots that need filling. Never should have gotten rid of my MOTU interface.

Did you ever get any grief from the one percenter clubs from having an MC patch on your vest?
    No! The other clubs all had members that were Nam Vets and they supported their brothers. I never had a hassle from any patch-holder, but we weren’t trying to take over anybody’s turf either.

Forum Member

Late 70's my (now ex) brother in law and friends decided to put together a run on Labor Day, and of course we elected to play. After the first year, they formed a club with the sole purpose of putting together money for the Labor Day runs. No colors, just working people, (many I went to school with)! After a few years, the Bandidos decided they wanted to throw their weight around, and several riders crashed the party, lots of guns came out and they left. A local fellow Tom, who was close to the Angels said "he would put a stop to this s--t". Pretty soon the El Paso Bandido chapter got a letter from California saying this club was "protected", and if necessary there were plenty of members ready to meet them in El Paso, and discuss the matter.
    No more problems, although later I took my brother in law to this guys house, and there was a limo out front with guys dressed in suits. They looked pretty tough to me, Ron said the Angels president was visiting Tom, did I want to meet him, I declined!
    Last edited by Bill Moore; 09-21-2020 at 06:17 PM.

There is no “t” in Bandidos.

The good stuff isn't cheap, eh?

After I posted this, I got off my duff and started researching different interfaces with higher impedance outputs. I don't think the high impedance stuff is all that common in the audio interface hardware world. I really like the simplicity and form factor of my newish SSL 2+. But just lacks oomph on in the inputs and output. I'm also using notoriously low powered mics (RE20 and SM7B). So, started looking into more outboard stuff - mic preamp and headphone amp, because why not? Landed on the 500-series stuff. Always was intrigued by that stuff. Now I have a valid use case! So, lunchbox and two modules = $1000! And then two empty slots that need filling. Never should have gotten rid of my MOTU interface.
    I'm hemming and hawing about returning the ATH-M50X. I decided to try something this afternoon. So the pre-recorded stuff is pretty dang 'loud', I pulled the fader down to almost -20. Then I pulled the audio track from the AI way down as well, and just set the input gain so I could hear my guitar with the recorded stuff. I probably had some of my best play along with a recording ever. Using the ATHs to listen. On playback I pulled the audio track back up

Perhaps one thing I learned today is I was tracking too low. I've had it beaten into my head to not record too hot in the digital realm, so I think I had gone too far in the other direction. After I got done playing along with the prerecorded stuff, I threw down a short rhythm track and then an accompanying track. Now to see if my attempt to reformat my USB stick worked or not.

One of the coolest MC cuts I've ver seen, brother

Forum Member

There is no “t” in Bandidos.
    Fixed!