Thread: Where am I free?

Where am I free?

We've lived in our home just over a year now. When we moved in, I was just out of surgery and recovering, but I made a point of meeting the next door neighbors and introducing myself and family. These days we only see each other through masks, but we all say, "Hello, how ya doin'" when we see one another.
    With the heat and bad air here in Northern Cali I try to do chores early, before the heat gets in triple digits, so the other morning about 6 am I was picking up stray paper bags and other rubbish from the sidewalk in front of my home. I saw the police cruiser from an adjacent town go by the first time and didn't give it much thought. Then he came by again, slowed as he passed me and gave me a look. I waved and went into my back yard to put the trash in the can. When I came out, the car was stopped in front of my driveway and the cop was standing there with his hand on his gun. "Whatcha up to this morning?" Repressing my strong desire to say "About five-seven." I told him I was just policing the front yard.
    "Do you live here?" At the edge of losing my patience I said "Yes, I'm the owner." "Can you show me some ID?" "Why?" I asked. "I've never seen you here before." "Well come back tomorrow about this time and you'll see me again." I turn to go back in the back yard and he says, "Wait a minute, why don't you want to show me ID?" "Why would I?" "I asked politely and you're refusing to show me ID. I don't know you, you're out at an odd time coming out of someone's backyard and that's suspicious. Is there some reason you won't identify yourself?" "Yes, because I don't have to. Check the first, fourth and fifth amendments to the US constitution. Goodbye." I walked through the gate and locked it behind me.
    About an hour later, I'm just fixing breakfast for my missus when the doorbell rings. It's a deputy sheriff. "Can I help you officer?" I asked through the closed screen. "We had a report for another agency that there was a suspicious man on the property." "I assure you I was here and the only suspicious activity was a (city of ......) officer who stopped to bug me while I was cleaning up the yard." "So this is your house?" "Yes, it is. Now I'm going to ask you to leave it." "OK sir, but could I see some ID or proof that you're supposed to be here? "Nope." I quietly close and lock the door. He sits in his car outside on the street until a supervisor comes by to tell him I've called in and made a harassment complaint.
    I wouldn't be such pain in their tail, except when I need someone to deal with a car thief or take care of some real vandalism They don't have time to deal with "petty crime" but this goniff can stop and screw with me?
    What a world.

Re: Where am I free?

Right on, my old friend, and I tell you: it's been a while since we were actually free in ANY aspect.

You gave an example of how we are harassed in our daily routine. Don't get me started on our cell phone and internet monitoring these days.

We're quickly transitioning from a George Orwell scene to a Isaac Asimov's one.