Thread: The Sunday Morning Cure-All Tonic and Magic Bean Thread

The Sunday Morning Cure-All Tonic and Magic Bean Thread

Well OS, ain't ya gonna start this hyere thread?

I'm finally into some recording, but I've been on pause while I get a new kitchen and dining room floor--luxury vinyl plank. My contractor brother told me about it. I thought it'd be something like laminate. Hell no! It looks and feels like real wood.

If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: The Sunday Morning Cure-All Tonic and Magic Bean Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Well OS, ain't ya gonna start this hyere thread?

I'm finally into some recording, but I've been on pause while I get a new kitchen and dining room floor--luxury vinyl plank. My contractor brother told me about it. I thought it'd be something like laminate. Hell no! It looks and feels like real wood.
    Posted one just before you did, Willie. Maybe we can merge them?
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Posted one just before you did, Willie. Maybe we can merge them?
    Ha ha, I knew that would happen. I hoped it wouldn't. Dang it.

Mods, if you want to erase my thread, feel free.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Very nice job Willie. I’m sold on the LVP. Buddy of mine did his basement man cave with it and it looks and feels great. We had a flood last year that ruined our carpets in the basement - I’ve been going back and forth on what to replace it with. LVP is a contender.

Rainy quiet day in the Deep North today. Slight pause in the efforts to move my Mom into assisted living. Big move happens tomorrow. Now dealing with a slimy real estate agent who promised her the moon and got her to sign a listing contract. She’s got memory/cognitive issues, so not fair ball at all. Agent made no effort to get in contact with us.

anyways, it’ll be a good day to settle in with a pot of coffee and some synth VSTs in Logic. Currently hooked on virtual versions of the Prophet 1 and Prophet 5. Cool stuff, very analogue-y and vintagey.

dirtdog, people like that agent deserve to be skinned and dipped in alcohol. It takes a special kind of evil to take advantage like that. Makes my blood boil.

The floor looks great, Willie! My wife and I have been debating what to use for flooring in a couple of spots in our home so that looks like a contender.

Back in ‘82 a good friend and I opened a motorcycle shop and our first project we worked on was a mild chopped ‘71 Sportster that belonged to a bandmate of mine. This week I purchased that same bike from that owner with about 880 miles put on it In the last 38 years. The last time it was licensed was 1994 so it will need to have a lot of the work we originally did performed again (tires, chains, bearings, etc). It has been well lubed in its years of inactivity so the engine (we totally rebuilt it in ‘82) is still in really excellent condition. It should be a fun little ride.

Ha ha, I knew that would happen. I hoped it wouldn't. Dang it.

Mods, if you want to erase my thread, feel free.
    I deleted mine. Yours has a better title.
    Striving to be ordinary

Forum Member

So whares da beans?

I like beans.

My neighbors don't like the fact I like beans but dats another thang altogether.

As a professional farter (I have for real farted the first five notes of the National Anthem--very true story), I enjoy a good pile of beans on some cornbread, a liberal dose of raw onion spread over it. I've found that for proficiency, pinto beans seasoned in fatback serve the cause, but for high quality pharts, great northern white beans--those are the beans of the artist, the fartiste. Black beans produce toots that have to be translated.

dirtdog, people like that agent deserve to be skinned and dipped in alcohol. It takes a special kind of evil to take advantage like that. Makes my blood boil.
    A banker once sold my 80 year-old mother a 12 year annuity. Human scum.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Yes, thanks Willie. I’ve gone through most of the phases of this - been through the “blood boiling” phase, now in the “bent for vengeance” phase. This guy has no idea what he’s about to go through, from a legal and ethical perspective....not a dipped in alcohol perspective!

As a professional farter (I have for real farted the first five notes of the National Anthem--very true story), I enjoy a good pile of beans on some cornbread, a liberal dose of raw onion spread over it. I've found that for proficiency, pinto beans seasoned in fatback serve the cause, but for high quality pharts, great northern white beans--those are the beans of the artist, the fartiste. Black beans produce toots that have to be translated.
    Fartiste! LOL!

In the Deep North, we’ve found that “feves au lard* avec sauce tomates” is the instrument of choice for the skilled flatulist!

*salted pork belly

I played an outdoor jam with friends last night. We played almost 3 hours. It was great to see friends and to play! I used my new Heritage H-535 and new to me Dr. Z Nova. Nice rig! Loud and responsive. The OD channel on the Nova is really nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I played an outdoor jam with friends last night. We played almost 3 hours. It was great to see friends and to play! I used my new Heritage H-535 and new to me Dr. Z Nova. Nice rig! Loud and responsive. The OD channel on the Nova is really nice!
    Man, do I covet that Heritage. If it were a lefty, I'd hurt when I saw it.

huh, I started a reply way earlier and for some reason the usual autosave didn't hold it for me. oh well.

what a nice day. got out walked around for a good while after playing guitar this afternoon. a tad quieter downtown than it's been lately. A couple of the places even closed early. I was all set to add another mile to the day's total but I started feeling raindrops.

had breaded pudding tonight. I liked it especially with a scoop of ice cream. It was nice enough to sit outside so I took advantage of it, eschewing the TVs showing games inside. I'm going to miss doing this come the cold weather. I don't think I'll be going into any crowded bars this winter.

I saw some friends play last night at a classic Seacoast venue. It was one of the owner's 60th birthday party. Although it was a little chilly towards the end it was a great show.

Got maybe one more show next week on Friday night weather permitting. Not expecting too much after that, we've been lucky with the drought in NH enabling many outdoor shows to happen. At some point the rain's going to return and October has seen some considerable rain in the last couple of decades.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Forum Member

Laker, sometime I have to get a pic of my brother in laws 80? Harley. He took it over when our wives brother died, (I don't ride), and it is beautiful now. He took it apart several years ago to fix a small oil leak, (I told him ALL Harleys leak a little). Upon reassembly, he decided he "needed" quite a few things, (mainly cosmetic), just because. I think he spent over $1800 doing all his own work, (well I did the carb). Included was paint, looks like you can reach your hand right into the tank!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    Laker, sometime I have to get a pic of my brother in laws 80? Harley. He took it over when our wives brother died, (I don't ride), and it is beautiful now. He took it apart several years ago to fix a small oil leak, (I told him ALL Harleys leak a little). Upon reassembly, he decided he "needed" quite a few things, (mainly cosmetic), just because. I think he spent over $1800 doing all his own work, (well I did the carb). Included was paint, looks like you can reach your hand right into the tank!
    I love the “all Harley’s leak a little”. For the un-informed, all early motorcycles had a total evacuation oil system...oil drizzled into the engine to lubricate and then ran out in the ground. A Two stage oil pump was introduced that pumped oil into the engine and then pumped it back to an external oil bag (dry sump system) with a mist from the engine breather that lubricated the primary (and eventually, the secondary chain). The oil from the chain dripped on the ground. Modern Harley motorcycles have a sealed primary chain and run a belt drive on the secondary...don’t drip oil; very clean.

makes sense with a motorcycle, but still doesn't explain British automobiles

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    That's how you know you British car has oil in it!

My first car was a 1961 Mini Cooper. I used to tell people it was just marking its spot!
    Striving to be ordinary

Forum Member

I had a BSA and a Royal Enfield back in the 60's, and they marked their territory! So did my wife's 67 MGB I surprised her with in the 70's, never did get around to resealing the timing cover.
    Wasn't there an old joke about why the British didn't have more interest in building computers. (They never figured out how to make them leak oil!)

I've never heard that one, but I'll add an even older one.
    Q. Why do the British drink warm beer?
    A. Lucas refrigerators.

Lucas the prince of darkness!

That's how you know you British car has oil in it!
    In one of Neil Peart's (the late drummer from Rush) books, he mentioned once owning an MG (I think; can't put my hands on the quote.). He called it "A British car of traditional style, meaning it leaked oil and had an unreliable electrical system."
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Quote Originally Posted by jrgtr42 View Post
    In one of Neil Peart's (the late drummer from Rush) books, he mentioned once owning an MG (I think; can't put my hands on the quote.). He called it "A British car of traditional style, meaning it leaked oil and had an unreliable electrical system."
    That sounds about right. Those are just the issues of old British cars taht are known to the general public. There were many more- extensive body rot, electronic fuel pump with (sticking) points in it, center lock wheels that won't come of because they weren't greased when put on, the car running lean because the hole in for the throttle shafts in the SU carburetors are worn, leaking lever shocks, worn king pins that require a special reamer tool to install new bushings...

I replaced the whole damn thing with a Miata 22 years ago.

I still kinda miss it, though.

BTW, the song "Red Barchetta" was inspired by the story "A Nice Morning Drive" in Road & Track magazine featuring an MGB. Look it up. Neil Peart gave the author credit in the liner notes. They later became friends.

you also forgot to mention their penchant for self-immolation.

my college roommate's family had a thing for MGBs. One day we're tooling along when smoke started pouring out from under the hood.

"Oh crap. The car's on fire again."

"Again?"

"Shit. I forgot to refill the fire extinquisher."

Pulls over.

"Pop the hood."

I walk to the side of the road, scoop up a double handful of sand, throw it on the engine. Poof. Fire goes out. Look and see the fuel pump hose is off the carburetor.

"Yeah, that keeps coming off and the gas hits the headers, evaporates and eventually lights."

"So if I put the hose back on and tighten the clamp, we're good?"

"Yep."

There was a screwdriver in the car, by then the parts were cool enough to touch, I put the hose back on and tightened the clamp. The car started right back up.

Quote Originally Posted by jrgtr42 View Post
    My brother once had a little MG Midget that seemed to be a pretty decent little car except he couldn’t keep a windshield in it. They kept cracking. No oil leaks, just a bad windshield.

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    My brother once had a little MG Midget that seemed to be a pretty decent little car except he couldn’t keep a windshield in it. They kept cracking. No oil leaks, just a bad windshield.
    I never replaced the windshield on my MG Midget but I did on my MGB. If the Midget was similar, there was a "trick" to it. The cast side pieces of the windshield frame ran down into the front fenders and were each attached with two large bolts. Those bolts had large belleville washers under them. The "trick" was to not completely crush the belleville washers, just compress them about halfway. There might've even been a torque spec, I don't recall.

I never replaced the windshield on my MG Midget but I did on my MGB. If the Midget was similar, there was a "trick" to it. The cast side pieces of the windshield frame ran down into the front fenders and were each attached with two large bolts. Those bolts had large belleville washers under them. The "trick" was to not completely crush the belleville washers, just compress them about halfway. There might've even been a torque spec, I don't recall.
    My brother eventually listened to me and dumped those English autos and got into driving Corvettes. He owned three before passing away in ‘95. 😉

you also forgot to mention their penchant for self-immolation.

my college roommate's family had a thing for MGBs. One day we're tooling along when smoke started pouring out from under the hood.

"Oh crap. The car's on fire again."

"Again?"

"Shit. I forgot to refill the fire extinquisher."

Pulls over.

"Pop the hood."

I walk to the side of the road, scoop up a double handful of sand, throw it on the engine. Poof. Fire goes out. Look and see the fuel pump hose is off the carburetor.

"Yeah, that keeps coming off and the gas hits the headers, evaporates and eventually lights."

"So if I put the hose back on and tighten the clamp, we're good?"

"Yep."

There was a screwdriver in the car, by then the parts were cool enough to touch, I put the hose back on and tightened the clamp. The car started right back up.
    Yes! Fires! One day, my friend arrived home with her TR7 and went it the house. A short time later, she heard fire trucks. She looked outside to see them putting out her TR7!

Also, the single Zenith-Stromberg carb used on later MGBs (in the US anyway) had a brass covered plastic drain plug that snapped into the bottom of the float bowl. This was directly over the catalytic converter. They would dry up, shrink or melt due to the heat of the catalytic converter (especially if the car was allowed to run rich), fall out, leak gas and sometimes cause a fire. Later float bowls did not have the hole drilled for the plug.

Speaking of old British cars, when I went to pick up my wife's car from having it inspected today, there was a guy having an immaculate Triumph Stag inspected. A couple of hours later, I went back to have my Miata inspected and the same guy was there with a beautiful Triumph GT6! We had time to talk and he said he had a Triumph Spitfire with a Ford 302 in it at home. He seemed to genuinely like the Miata.

Speaking of old British cars, when I went to pick up my wife's car from having it inspected today, there was a guy having an immaculate Triumph Stag inspected. A couple of hours later, I went back to have my Miata inspected and the same guy was there with a beautiful Triumph GT6! We had time to talk and he said he had a Triumph Spitfire with a Ford 302 in it at home. He seemed to genuinely like the Miata.
    just wanted to let you know I don’t worry about oil leaks with the current Corvettes. I’m anticipating trading my wife’s 427 for a mid-engine in the near future.

Forum Member

Wednesday my wife and I were coming back from her appointment in Las Cruces when we got behind a couple our age in a Corvette convertible at the Border Patrol checkpoint. I commented that I really like the way our old "Custom" van rides, but maybe she would rather be driving the Corvette. She opined that it probably would be fun, but she would really like to have her old MG back!

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    just wanted to let you know I don’t worry about oil leaks with the current Corvettes. I’m anticipating trading my wife’s 427 for a mid-engine in the near future.

I think I've mentioned here that a co-worker has one of these in triple black. It's the automotive definition of bad ass. I think the C6 is the best looking modern Corvette (though I haven't seen the latest).

BTW, Miatas like mine are known to leak a little oil around the cam angle sensor and crank seals. I had a heater hose get soft over time when the cam angle sensor dripped oil on it. I replaced the cam angle sensor o-ring and the front crank seal when I replaced the timing belt. The rear crank seal will be replaced if the car ever needs a clutch. They're simple to replace while the car's apart.

I think I've mentioned here that a co-worker has one of these in triple black. It's the automotive definition of bad ass. I think the C6 is the best looking modern Corvette (though I haven't seen the latest.
    I waited to purchase this car until the C7 was released. I too think the 6th generation Vette is one of the nicest. The 8th generation is still a bit angular for this old dude, but the mid-engine makes up for its transgressions.