Thread: Class

Class

They may be old, they might have slowed down a bit, health issues might cause some sloppiness, they may dress like buffoons...

But I don't think anyone can play rock and roll with more class and style

Charlie's drumming and Keith's paced down, laid back and mesningful playing are simply awesome. Jagger's Voice gets better with age.

Man, If It wasn't for the Stones!

Now I need some coffee. Good morning!

Re: Class

I don't think they're buffoons.

I think they understand something a lot of bands don't: they're there to give a show, not to let the audience worship them for merely breathing. I was listening to the expanded Goat's Head Soup, and there are live tracks on it. They played every song at breakneck speed, rocking hard as hell, and I thought, That's as punk as anything that came after it. Give that a listen if you can; I'm sure you'll agree with me.

I consider myself damned lucky to have lived during the same time as The Beatles and The Stones. Mozart and Beethoven will be held in no greater esteem than these guys centuries from now.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I was referring to the people that say they overdress. I myself find ir cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    I was referring to the people that say they overdress. I myself find ir cool.
    Sorry, I was too but didn't make it clear--the clothes are part of the show. The Stones have been in show biz long enough to know that a lot of folks don't want to come and see a mirror image on stage. The want to see something out of the ordinary. The Stones know how to give that and are complete pros about it.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

For me personally, I think "It's Only Rock and Roll (but I like it)" sums it up nicely.

Clothes? So what. As much as I like other bands, I think The Stones are probably the greatest rock and roll band ever.

Don't get me wrong, There are are other bands that I like.

Dressing like buffoons? How about Elton John? or Queen?

Quote Originally Posted by vinyl View Post
    For me personally, I think "It's Only Rock and Roll (but I like it)" sums it up nicely.

Clothes? So what. As much as I like other bands, I think The Stones are probably the greatest rock and roll band ever.

Don't get me wrong, There are are other bands that I like.

Dressing like buffoons? How about Elton John? or Queen?
    You can say about those guys that they new how to get attention with clothes and to give audiences something out of the ordinary.

When I was growing up, I've dug the bands that are showy, and I've also gotten into folks like James Taylor or Townes Van Zant, sing, play a guitar, wear what you threw on that morning, end of story. It is nice to see a show though. One of the best bands I ever saw live was Jethro Tull--Ian Anderson knew how to stage a show.

And I'm with you vinyl, The Stones are the Greatest Rock and Roll Band Ever.

+1000 for Stones as the greatest rock and roll band ever. Exile on Main Street? Fuhgeddaboudit!

Two of my friends produce a classic rock podcast. On one of their recent episodes, the were dissecting a variety of 1970s arena rock tropes, costuming being one on them.

IMO, the Stones invented modern arena level costuming and the bands that followed just took it to the next level (hair metal, glam, KISS, etc). It’s definitely all a part of the show.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    +1000 for Stones as the greatest rock and roll band ever. Exile on Main Street? Fuhgeddaboudit!

Two of my friends produce a classic rock podcast. On one of their recent episodes, the were dissecting a variety of 1970s arena rock tropes, costuming being one on them.

IMO, the Stones invented modern arena level costuming and the bands that followed just took it to the next level (hair metal, glam, KISS, etc). It’s definitely all a part of the show.
    I believe I have that link saved.

Is there a greater balls out rock album than Exile? And the ballads and softer things--best they ever did.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Is there a greater balls out rock album than Exile? And the ballads and softer things--best they ever did.
    Who's Next. Even the album cover is ballsy.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

AS rocking as, I would agree.

How dare you throw in one of my fave albums to trump me with! I've been Rooked!

Who’s Next - my second most favorite album by my second most favourite band.

Forum Member

You must learn from the MASTER!

Bowie was the smart young brother of The Beatles and The Stones. There--a phrase so subjective that it'll hold no water.

Six decades of chart topping hits in the UK. My favorite stuff is with Mick Taylor. My favorite album? Let It Bleed.

I don't expect any one to agree with me, but then why are we here?

As I said before there are others that I like, but no other band has consistently turned out rock and roll like the Stones. That's what make them the greatest in my view.

Cheers,

I was surprised when my OP was taken as a critic.

I myself am an unconditional Stones fan and yes, to me they are the best goddam band ever, sharing the first place with Led Zeppelin for obvious and different reasons.

Everytime I pick up a guitar and plug it in, no matter how different I try to sound or how much I love other bands (and I do), whatever comes out of my amp WILL have some Keef thrown in, I even do a lot of stuff in open G. And I never sought that. It just happens to be there. I am a Keith Richards kind of guy, even though I do solo a tad more because being in a band that does lots of cover jobs I have to (I hate soloing, really... I'm more of a killer riff kind of guy).

I was thinking about Keef's playing yesterday. There's nothing he can play or could play that I couldn't learn by listening to the song three times. But you can never quite get Keef because his playing is subtly complex. He hardly ever plays a straight beat. He weaves in an out with his rhythms. And some of them are so sparse and fragile where you'd think a bar chord would work better, but nooooo, Keef's playing is the solution that helps to make the song what it is.