Thread: Growing Interested in Vintage Amps--Bassman 100

Growing Interested in Vintage Amps--Bassman 100

I wouldn't mind having a 60s Deluxe or Twin, but I've been thinking about what vintage amp I'd really like.

And I thought about the old Bassman 100s. My second bass amp was a 70s Bassman that was a nightmare. The older ones are whole different beasts, and there seems to be a lot of them about.

I don't know enough about one to buy one . I saw them in supposedly mint condition for $1000. But am I looking at some reissue that I didn't know about? The ones I've seen certainly look old.

Anybody have experience with one of the old Bassman heads? And cabs?
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Growing Interested in Vintage Amps--Bassman 100

I found all the Fender bass amps after the Dual Showman to really lack in quality sound. Back in the day I don't recall any bass players either in touring groups or local garage bands that used one unless it was a kid just starting and the parents purchased for them.

I switched to a Sunn Model T head that I originally used two 18" folded horn bottoms with (don't recommend...very large and heavy) and eventually a Kustom bottom with JBL D145s in (sometimes 2 bottoms). I used that Model T from around '76 until the mid '90s when I went to separate preamp/power amp rigs.

I have to admit it's the Beatles things with me.

From Sgt Pepper through the end, McCartney used a Fender Bassman 100 head. The bass on Sgt Pepper is what really made me want to play bass. I've read several books and many articles about the recording of the album. So I have more than a passing interest. I have found out that there was a change in 65 so that I should look for something a year or two earlier--I'll have to verify what I've just said.

But I smiled when you mentioned that you'd only ever seen them when it was a kid whose parents gave it to him as a gift. That's exactly how I got my Bassman 50. And I remember the same thing about people with Twins and Les Pauls. I also got a 70s Tele bass, but as a lefty, it was so uncomfortable to play. I sold it when I got my Ric.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I have to admit it's the Beatles things with me.

From Sgt Pepper through the end, McCartney used a Fender Bassman 100 head. The bass on Sgt Pepper is what really made me want to play bass. I've read several books and many articles about the recording of the album. So I have more than a passing interest. I have found out that there was a change in 65 so that I should look for something a year or two earlier--I'll have to verify what I've just said.

But I smiled when you mentioned that you'd only ever seen them when it was a kid whose parents gave it to him as a gift. That's exactly how I got my Bassman 50. And I remember the same thing about people with Twins and Les Pauls. I also got a 70s Tele bass, but as a lefty, it was so uncomfortable to play. I sold it when I got my Ric.
    One thing you should keep in mind whilst chasing tone, is context.
    What works in the studio, or similar (home, recording, etc...) may not work in a live application.

Just an objective coaching tip.
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Quote Originally Posted by FrankJohnson View Post
    One thing you should keep in mind whilst chasing tone, is context.
    What works in the studio, or similar (home, recording, etc...) may not work in a live application.

Just an objective coaching tip.
    Yes, I know. Geoff Emerick did a lot of tweaking. I don't see myself playing live again. It's just for recording purposes. At some point, I've heard an isolated and un-filtered unprocessed track of Macca's playing, and it is good.

A lot of it is silly boyhood dream stuff.

I'm a Beatles nut and just need to get my books out. But thanks so much for the link. I'm getting ready to watch it.