Thread: G&L, Anyone?

G&L, Anyone?

I put in an order yesterday for a G&L Jazz Bass 5 string. I've always liked G&L guitars. Sound as good as Fenders to me, and why shouldn't they?

Fender offers so few choices to lefties, and G&L not only offers American lefty basses, they give options like a maple fretboard, which Fender hasn't given lefties on their American basses in years. I think Fender might have produced one small run of lefty 5 strings over the last 30 years, but it's been a long time ago if so.

On top of that, Fender has never offered lefties so many choices of color and finish. Shit, I can even get a birdseye maple neck--Fender has neeeeeever offered lefties that except on vurrrry rare runs.

Any of you have experience with G&L gear?
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: G&L, Anyone?

I have two G&L guitars, a Tribute Legacy (Strat) and an ASAT Junior II. Both are (in my opinion) every bit as good quality-wise and sound-wise as any Fender I own. In fact, the ASAT I consider to be one of my "must have" guitars. The custom P90 pups are fabulous, and I love the placement of the control. I waxed poetically about it here when I first got it. Two words when it comes to G&L: No Regrets
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Thanks, Fred.

I sat in with a band. Great young guitarist played the G&L equiv of an AmStd Strat. It had one of the best Strat sounds I ever heard. But he was unhappy with it because it wasn't a Fender. He liked everything else about the guitar. I hope he got over it and came to appreciate that wonderful instrument.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Thanks, Fred.

I sat in with a band. Great young guitarist played the G&L equiv of an AmStd Strat. It had one of the best Strat sounds I ever heard. But he was unhappy with it because it wasn't a Fender. He liked everything else about the guitar. I hope he got over it and came to appreciate that wonderful instrument.
    I read someone once say they loved everything about the Tribute Legacy (the Strat), but they couldn't get past the shape of the headstock.

Striving to be ordinary

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    I read someone once say they loved everything about the Tribute Legacy (the Strat), but they couldn't get past the shape of the headstock.

I used to think the G&L headstocks looked odd, but over time, I'm used to seeing them in pics and such, so they're not a novelty. It's not like they're as foreign looking to the model as the PRS John Mayer headstock.

I like the different headstocks. I think if every manufacturer adopted unique headstocks there would be far fewer "Is this a real Fender" posts flying around the Internet.
    Striving to be ordinary

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post

People say that about the headstock on Heritage guitars. I can't even see it when I'm playing!

A friend has a G&L Tribute Fallout and it's a nice guitar. It sounds great and it is really well made. In February I played a used US made G&L Legacy and it played well but sounded dull. I think it might've just not been a great one, or maybe just needed a good setup. I'd like to give them another chance.

Some folks even say that the best G&Ls are "more Fender than CBS-and-on Fenders". I wouldn't go so far but they are definitely good Guitars.

G&Ls came out in 79. At that time, they probably were a lot closer to classic Fenders.

Having said that, a guy in my band played a 77 natural Fender Strat, black pickguard. I never played it, but he said it played well. It sounded to me like a classic Strat. My bandmate played it through a 70s Twin, and it was a fantastic sounding guitar. It was a good addition to our sound.

The US built ASATs are about as good a guitar as I've ever played. They're perfect.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    The US built ASATs are about as good a guitar as I've ever played. They're perfect.
    I don't understand why more people aren't playing G&Ls. For about $500 less than an instrument you assemble on Fender's mod app, you can choose finish, neck and body wood, fingerboard materials, inlays, hardware, etc. Everything basically.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I don't understand why more people aren't playing G&Ls. For about $500 less than an instrument you assemble on Fender's mod app, you can choose finish, neck and body wood, fingerboard materials, inlays, hardware, etc. Everything basically.
    Just a combination of snobbery and ignorance. That, or some people are more into "owning" than playing. Same holds true for Heritage guitars (IMHO).

PS, Yamaha guitars are the best bargain of all.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Just a combination of snobbery and ignorance. That or some people are more into "owning" than playing. Same holds true for Heritage guitars (IMHO).

PS, Yamaha guitars are the best bargain of all.
    Yamahas are criminally overlooked. If they offered any decent lefties, I'd think about it.

When I was a kid, my guitar buddy had a Yamaha 335 type. It was a beautiful and sounded as good as a 335.

Just a combination of snobbery and ignorance. That, or some people are more into "owning" than playing. Same holds true for Heritage guitars (IMHO).
    You take a very practical approach of guitars as tools, but most of us look at guitars in a very impractical and emotional way- we tie them in with the artists we love. Although my Carvin DC150 and Guild Blues 90 play better than and sound as good as any Les Paul I've played, I find myself wanting a Les Paul because of my love for Beano era Clapton, early Peter Green, Michael Bloomfield, Paul Kossoff, Billy Gibbons (after selling my Les Paul a couple of month ago, I am not going back).

I think it was you who said a few years ago that someone was in love with the idea of a Les Paul.

I see guitars as tools, works of art, and something highly personal. I'm glad I'm a lefty--I know it's stupid, but I don't want anyone else to play my guitars. I've bonded with each one I have.

my first guitar was a yamaha, it was the only guitar I could get for 100 dollars. It had a 335 style body but fully hollow. Great action but dayum, it sounded like mud. There wasn't any good tones for rock in the poor thing. It made me desperate for a Stratocaster and that did not turn out well for me, either.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

I've still got my Yamaha dreadnought from 1979 (aka, lammie yammie!). It plays well and sounds good. Its boat neck is what I look for in all guitars. It's good enough that I didn't feel the need for a "good" acoustic guitar until I wanted something with a different sound and bought my Martin 000-15M a few years ago.

I just pulled it out after years of not playing it and the strings were all flat about 20 cents, but in tune with each other. The truss rod could stand to be tightened 1/8-1/4 turn and it could use a neck reset, but it's not bad!
    Last edited by Don; 09-20-2020 at 10:41 AM.

Forum Member
    Originally from Watertown, N.Y. Have lived in the South Shore Massachusetts area, halfway between Boston and Cape Cod for the last 35 years.

I've owned two G & L basses. They seemed to be made very well. I love the sound and the versatility but I found the necks to be much chunkier than a Precision or Jazz bass, to the point that I didn't like playing them. I ended up returning them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kmonk View Post
    I've owned two G & L basses. They seemed to be made very well. I love the sound and the versatility but I found the necks to be much chunkier than a Precision or Jazz bass, to the point that I didn't like playing them. I ended up returning them.
    I've never played a G&L four string, so I can't judge those necks. The 5 str neck is definitely a chunky one, and having never played a five string of any kind, I need time to get used to its width. Even though small necks feel comfortable to me, I find a chunky neck works better for me. I played thinner necks for 20 years until I got a Strat with a chunkier neck.

I have owned USA G&Ls since 1997.

My first was a wonderful Legacy (Clear blue over ash). Quickly followed by an ASAT Special that I swear was the best recording solid body I have ever played.

A past love

My current G&L squeeze

Forum Member

I had a few G&L’s, and SB-2 Tribute, Fallout Tribute, Now down to just two, an LB-100 Fullerton USA and an LB-100 Tribute. They are both decent but the Fullerton is my favorite. I got a new old stock 2016 Fullerton LB-100 that was custom made direct from G&L at a very good price. It was made for Guitar Center. They traded them back to G&L for two different models. When I got it, both the bass and the case looked like they were made yesterday as they spent their time boxed up and untouched.