Thread: Jazz Bass Getting Converted to a Fretless

Jazz Bass Getting Converted to a Fretless

Unless a lefty is willing to pay custom shop prices, he's not going to find a decent lefty fretless. Somebody mentioned to me that it wouldn't be a big deal to convert a fretted bass to fretless. After a few ideas that I weighed and finally threw away, I realized that my AmStd Jazz Bass would be perfect--it's a great bass, but I play it so much less than my other basses. I'll pick up a fretted Jazz someday--Fender hasn't offered lefties any American maple fbs in a long long time, and if they do when they put out the revamped AmPro, I might go ahead and get one; if they'll offer more than damned black and sunburst, I might pick one up.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Jazz Bass Getting Converted to a Fretless

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Unless a lefty is willing to pay custom shop prices, he's not going to find a decent lefty fretless. Somebody mentioned to me that it wouldn't be a big deal to convert a fretted bass to fretless. After a few ideas that I weighed and finally threw away, I realized that my AmStd Jazz Bass would be perfect--it's a great bass, but I play it so much less than my other basses. I'll pick up a fretted Jazz someday--Fender hasn't offered lefties any American maple fbs in a long long time, and if they do when they put out the revamped AmPro, I might go ahead and get one; if they'll offer more than damned black and sunburst, I might pick one up.
    Why not just pick up a Mighty Mite fretless neck? I’ve been using one of their necks on my ‘63 Jazz base since the mid ‘70s; it’s a great-playing neck.

That's a good idea, Laker, but I really like the profile on my JB neck. I'd toyed with putting it on my P Bass. But I'm going to hold out hope for a maple fb American JB when they revamp the series. The JB neck I have will be a perfect neck for fretless playing because it fits my hand so well. But that is an idea.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    That's a good idea, Laker, but I really like the profile on my JB neck. I'd toyed with putting it on my P Bass. But I'm going to hold out hope for a maple fb American JB when they revamp the series. The JB neck I have will be a perfect neck for fretless playing because it fits my hand so well. But that is an idea.
    Just an idea. Mighty Mote apparently doesn’t do lefty.
    https://reverb.com/item/2038412-left...s-sx-bass-neck

i went through the custom builder thing at Warmoth and worked up a fretless neck, but it just wasn't what I wanted.

But I really do appreciate you taking the time to check on that Mighty Mite for me.

Ready to take it to the shop tomorrow.

I'm getting really excited about this. I don't know why I didn't think of using this one from the beginning.

Last edited by ch willie; 09-16-2020 at 05:35 PM.

i remember when I was looking for a Jazz neck how many fretless necks I kept stumbling upon. Often they are lined with a grey/silver color so I'd get all excited about a nice dark board and ... oh, nuts ... it's fretless.

I have enough challenges with fretted bass, I don't think I'm ready for fretless yet.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

I told them to make easily seeable fret lines for me. I know I'd eventually get it without, but why should I at my age?

Wouldn't marker dots on the top side of the neck do?
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Wouldn't marker dots on the top side of the neck do?
    You'd have to have a dot for every fret then. It just makes more practical sense to use the lines. Ha ha. It's like all the other kids seeing that you've got training wheels on your bike!

I just got it back today. Tech did an incredible job. Used maple to fill in the gaps so I can see the lines.

And to my surprise, with the lines, I can play it like I've always played a fretless.

Put Rotosound black nylon flats on it. I realized that now 3 or my 5 basses have flats.

This was absolutely the best decision I could have ever made about this bass. I already esteem it much more than I did before. If I can get a good vid of it, I'll play a few riffs and post it. It sounds beautiful.

Oh hell yeah man!

Pics not loading!

What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

I checked the string, and I think it's okay [img]etc.. I've only posted the one pic. Might get some more this weekend, before the neutering.

Anybody else unable to see the photo? Maybe something happened with my pic at postimage.

I see the before...
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Here's an after.

Oh, nice work!

I thought this would be another job for the mighty angle grinder!

Left handed mojo would have broken any grinder. Tools ask a lefty handed guitar nicely if they can work on 'em