Thread: Telecaster Saturday

Telecaster Saturday

I've had the Tele down and playing it. Love my Tele but it is a pudgy child with a potato thumb (the horn). Jk, love it.

I do have one question: Why in the hell would Fender not glue in the ferrules?
    Last edited by ch willie; 09-05-2020 at 05:32 AM.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Telecaster Saturday

to prevent finish glitches on the back from excess glue?

just my wild ass guess
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Good guess, but I reckon they'd have a process for the right amount of glue.

I can't figure it out. I'm afraid of getting excess glue on the guitar, or I'd glue in mine.

But I might be missing something important. Is there a reason NOT to glue in the ferrules?
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

The drilled holes are probably made so that the ferrules should be a tight fit, and I could potentially see a problem where glue possibly could block the hole.

Personally I've never had a problem with ferrules falling out, but if I had, I wouldn't be too worried about gluing one in. I would just be very careful with the amount og glue used.

Fortunately, I've never broken my Tele strings on stage, so I've never had to deal with it in a dark club.

It did happen at a practice. I lost one, and we searched and searched. I had to buy ferrules to replace them. I keep a complete extra set just in case. I just think Fender could come up with a solution. Maybe mine is a fluke, but I can't understand why Fender wouldn't devise something better.

I would tend to say it's a fluke. I've had numerous Tele bodies since I learned to love them and never once had a ferrule fall out.

there, just jinxed myself. Watch the tele build i have waiting not hold in the ferrules correctly.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

The best sounding Tele I've played had all its ferrules missing. The owner didn't even know it was supposed to have any.

I think Fender drilled the holes for a press fit and some guitars shrunk more than others as they aged.

I don't recall gluing them into my build 17 years ago.

I think you're right about why mine fall out, Don. I tried playing without the one I lost at practice. I think I couldn't keep it in tune. Been about 6 years ago now.