Thread: Phones

Phones

Which cell phone model do you use?

After a decade or so using iPhones I gave the one I was using to my daughter (you know, 12 year old girl that thinks an iPhone is like the 8th wonder)... I just couldn't justify buying a new one in my head. Bought myself one of the recent Motorolas that sport good cameras and enough battery juice to endure more than a day of heavy use and to be honest I am more than satisfied, though I could never stand the earlier versions of Android.

My first cell phones were those bulky early Motorolas in the 90s, and I also owned those flip ons in the early 2000s... it was kinda cool to own another one.

Re: Phones

iPhone SE

if I had to get another one, I'd stay with same model designation. Not a super heavy user, I can walk without texting and actually sit and take in what's around me.

The only thing that bugs me is the deletion of the headphone jack. More batteries to replace/recharge are less convenient to me than wires connection phones to headphones. I don't walk listening to music anyway so wireless sound is unimportant. Besides I'm not impressed with Bluetooth sound quality (volume fluctuations)
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

I've got an iPhone 7 and will stick with it as long as possible. And I'll stick to an iPhone. I like the integration with my Macbook too much to go Android.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

iPhone here too I am currently on the 11 which I got in March this year. At first I was all against all Apple products, but then I got one of the first iPod Classics as a birthday present many years ago. I hated iTunes as I was used to drag and drop files easily in Windows, but after a while I got the hang of it... Then I inherited my wife's iPhone 3G... So I've had the iPhone 4S, iPhone 5S, iPhone 6, iPhone 8 before my current 11.
    I also got an Apple Watch, 4 Apple TVs and an old Mac mini for my multimedia centre, and I'm on my second iPad... So much for the Apple sceptisism...

iPhone 6s. When the battery started dying over a year ago, I thought I was going to have to replace it. But I found a place that could replace it, so it got new life.

I started on the iPhone track with the 4, then the 5. I hate the continued enlargement of the form factor, and keep hoping Apple will release the rumored iPhone "mini" (or whatever it's going to be called). I like being able to put my phone in my shirt pocket without tearing the shirt off my back.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Forum Member

I'm too cheap to spend much on a phone, so I buy Tracfone. I kept my "brick" until they wouldn't add service anymore. They sent me a "flip" replacement, but that too became obsolete. I've had a couple of LG Android phones since, but I never paid more than $30 for them!
    As for earphones, the VA fitted me with hearing aids a few years ago, and they sync to my phone, music, driving directions, and calls are in ear now!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    iPhone 6s. When the battery started dying over a year ago, I thought I was going to have to replace it. But I found a place that could replace it, so it got new life.

I started on the iPhone track with the 4, then the 5. I hate the continued enlargement of the form factor, and keep hoping Apple will release the rumored iPhone "mini" (or whatever it's going to be called). I like being able to put my phone in my shirt pocket without tearing the shirt off my back.
    Agree. The one thing I don't like about the iPhone 11, is that it's a little bit too large. I would prefer the size of the iPhone 8 (or 7 and 6). Remember when the phones were to be as small as possible? :)

I've got an iPhone XS that bought a couple of years ago. It works very well. It's on okay phone, a good camera and a decent computer. I stream radio stations, make calls, voice text and use Google Maps for GPS in my car via Apple CarPlay. It works very well 98% of the time.

iPhone 7 here. Wife and daughter on iPhones as well. Mac user and Apple TV as well, so I’m fully subscribed to this ecosystem.

Due for an upgrade but want to stay the same size as the 7. Don’t want a mini-mini-tablet for a phone.

Wow so until 3 days ago, when I switched back to Motorola, this place was 100% Apple!

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Wow so until 3 days ago, when I switched back to Motorola, this place was 100% Apple!
    Now you understand why Apple is a $2.2 TRILLION company!
    Striving to be ordinary

Forum Member

deleted
    Last edited by MGW-AB; 02-17-2021 at 09:42 AM.

I've gotten tired of technology, so this is what I'm using from now on:

If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

Yeah, but like the iPhone etc. Google can follow that string and tell everybody where you are all the time...

8 Plus here - work pays for it so I get a new one every 2-3 years. I like the larger screen. I have all my music on it so it serves as a iPod, too (I have two of them, too - but they don't get used any more).
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    Yeah, but like the iPhone etc. Google can follow that string and tell everybody where you are all the time...

ha ha ha

iPhone SE. I mainly use my phone for phone calls and occasional text messages, maybe checking email. It's not 5G capable, but lately I find the 4G speeds have dropped pretty drastically. I routinely used to get 20+ Mbit connections on 4G. Lately it's much slower.

Right now the marketing goobs are focused on 5G, regardless of it's available or not. For my use, I'm not really convinced that I really need 5G or even that I need to upgrade operating systems or apps. I never connect my phone to my pc.

I prefer an actual "button". Like Dan, I prefer an actual electrical connection for headphones. For internet searches I use Duck Duck Go. I try to keep apps installed on my phone to a bare minimum. I'll use Google Maps if I absolutely have to, but my car has built in navigation, plus a hard drive. The music I listen to in the car is stored on that hard drive as mp3 files. It's not likely I'll ever use an Android phone again.

Call me paranoid, but I'm not interested in giving up any involuntary information to Apple, Google or any cell phone company. I don't think I'm not doing that but I think I'm keeping it to a minimum.

I also don't need a phone that is the size of a small tablet, I prefer something that fits in my shirt pocket.

Most of the time, I use 12 year old Dell laptop for posting here. A few years ago, I managed to get Apple Snow Leopard to run on it, but after I accomplished that, I quickly lost interest in Apple Operating systems, probably mostly because of hardware upgrades.

I find that I just don't need the "latest and greatest" technology to accomplish what I want to do, just like I don't need the "latest and greatest" Fender gear to enjoy playing music. I'm lucky enough to have a 2 vintage Fender amps. I don't need "modelling", nor am I really talented enough to need a "vintage" Fender guitar.

I also like photography, but I don't have the "latest and greatest" camera, etc. That's what I like about posting here. No one will run you down because you don't have the "latest and greatest equipment".

Regarding laptops, I am a Dell man too. Always haver been.

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

iPhone 6 here. When it croaks something not worth fixing, I’ll buy a refurbished iPhone for
    pennies on the dollar. Got this one back in 2015 for $200. I’ve put $150 into repairs
    for nearly 6 years of service.
    Mark

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Regarding laptops, I’m a Windows and Linux guy. Have used Apple OS but the fact of the matter is, they can’t do easily what I need them to. Run MS SQL Management Studio, Run PL/SQL Developer for starters. The Apple platform serves the Arts business well, but does not measure up otherwise. Maybe that’s why Apple runs their critical business functions on a non-Apple platform.

Oh, I just took delivery on the first new computer I have ever bought (Dell laptop). It’s great, but heh, I’m typing this reply on my old iPhone LOL.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Regarding laptops, I am a Dell man too. Always haver been.
    At work I've purchased HP laptops and they've worked out pretty well. At home I have a DELL XPS 13 that is pretty robust, but I spend more time at home on my Dell XPS 8910 desktop. I've always bought Dell desktops. I've been pleased with the quality.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

had a dell desktop for a while, when I was trying to take some online courses for the state's unemployment that would . not. run. on. Mac. They flat out refused to support it. Probably figured if you could afford an Apple product you didn't need their money

At the same time the power supply in my G5 tower died and I was stuck with only Windows. It was awful. I had to reboot almost every hour sometimes more. I couldn't wait to get back on a Mac so I went with a mini, all i dared to ask for as I was indigent at the time. Loved it, the stability was unsurpassed. Still using it 10 plus years later, although it is beginning to show its age in small ways (wifi dropping out, can't open imgur images, etc). It's maxed out on OS, can't be updated any further.

my head tells me to just get the cheapest mini but my heart wants the 27" iMac. That's a thousand dollars more. And we're trying to help my brother buy a house so we can get out of this apartment. That money will come in handy.

Well, folks, I tried my best to get along with Android. But just as the other times I tried it, it was a no no.

Ordered an iPhone 11 and can't wait to ditch this piece of junk I'm using.

hoping to squeeze some more miles out of all my gear. I did one of those battery reset voodoo rituals on my phone and it appeared to have helped. Now I just have to remember to protect it against the cold.

still running the old minis. I saw this morning that news leak about Apple silicon coming to an iMac allegedly this March. Fingers crossed I can wait.

I tried an Android but just couldn't get on with it, too used to the iPhone.

I held onto my 7 but then got the 11 ProMax--liked it better than the 12s, and I'm really happy with it. The 7 was way too small for me to read comfortably or to text. I've got the biggie 11 and can see it without a problem. Easier to text because the buttons are bigger.

I just got an |Iphone 12. I had a 7 for quite a qhile, but it gave up the ghost. Too many things going on, minimal battery life - on certain apps I could watch the power meter going down - and so on.
    Got a decent deal though the carrier, etc etc.
    I also have an Ipod touch - |I prefer havbing my music in one place, though the 12 now has enough storage to keep most of it - the Ipod is 32 gig and it's full, though not all my music is on it.
    Other than that, my computers are all PC / Windows based. I can use the Apple ones, but I don't really care for their interfaces.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Great news Sergio! Welcome back to the cult! ;-)

im still on my 7 but it seems to be struggling along these days. Like when it says 25% battery remaining, it performs like it’s on its last 1%.

I’m getting my old work Blackberry Classic replaced with a new iPhone 11. I’ll see how well that one works (when I actually get it) compared to my 7 to see if it’s worthwhile to jump. Seems ridiculous to have two iPhones but I like a good degree of separation between church and state (or work and personal life in this case).

iPhones last a long time, and the fact that you can have the latest iOS version in your very same old phone is cool.

My iPhone 8 was still all right when I gave it to my daughter. If it wasn't for her wanting one so bad, I wouldn't need a new phone for at least 4 or 5 years more.

I still got my first one, the iPhone 3G, which still works and is in good shape!
    Last edited by S. Cane; 01-07-2021 at 04:44 PM.

I still carry my trusty old iphone 5. It has literally been around the world and since I spend so much time on the water I'm not going to cry if it goes over the side. It can call, email, text and browse. What else do I need? Oh yeah, it has a good flashlight app on it.

Also, if you gig enough you're going to have someone swipe your phone. It's happened to almost every player I know.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

The 11 arrived this morning. After the obligatory setup, it feels like home. The iOS 14 is slightly more complicated than I was used to, but nothing too fancy. It's the same old Apple device i'm used to.

The only noticeable upgrade so far is the face detection function. I don't really need to unlock the phone or even touch a fingerprint reading button, I just look at the phone and it's unlocked.

Forum Member

deleted
    Last edited by MGW-AB; 02-17-2021 at 09:39 AM.

My 11 is also set for face recognition, and I'd have thought I'd be charging all the time. But no, I've never had a phone battery with a longer life.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    My 11 is also set for face recognition, and I'd have thought I'd be charging all the time. But no, I've never had a phone battery with a longer life.
    I had to reset my face recognition on my 12 mini yesterday. I've found that today's tech has become quite fragile with all its bells and whistles.
    Striving to be ordinary

Funny thing about face recognition is that most of the times it won’t work now that we’re wearing masks all the time