Thread: Fender amp GAS... But need help, please?🙇🏽

Forum Member

Fender amp GAS... But need help, please?🙇🏽

Hi, hope all is well and doing fine...?

Hope this is the right place as I dont know where else to ask.
    Have been lurking around on the net lately, as Ive got the GAS for a fender amp as Im very hooked on the Sweet and clear tone some of the models Produces.
    Also I like the sweet mellow not too harsh overdrive they can produce and Im not particular into the more (to my ears) harsh/fizzy sounding Marshall tone.
    Reverb is a need to have for me though.

Well... waaaaay back in the 90s I owned a vibroking and a tone master, and never got to fool around with the amps as much as I should have. And now I see that the vk actually had reverb even not mentioned in the panel. Pretty Shure the tm didnt though🤔

My question is: are there any other models that have reverb but Is not clearly mentioned or might be called something else on the panel layout?
    I lean towards the brownface sound but I think the only one in my price range would be a vibroverb reissue (even though really rarely seen here in Denmark) as the original vintage brown face models are out of my league money wise.
    But Id love to learn about the brown face models and others as well who may NOT carry the reverb on the panel or in their name of model?
    For instance do a super amp have reverb and what about the pro amp?

Its a jungle so Im just getting more and more confused
    In YouTube clips some might do a demo and not mention they run a reverb pedal and google just makes me more confused...
    Sorry the long post but really hope someone can help me as Id like to know what to go for as I cant try out all models and at the end might have to order without trying😳 And Im about to give up😧

Anyone?

Best regards
    Torben

Re: Fender amp GAS... But need help, please?🙇🏽

Hi Torben!

What kind of music would you use it for? And how much power do you need in an amp? Many if not most Fender tube models have tube reverbs. I have a Deluxe Reverb Reissue, and the reverb on it is warm and glassy at the same time. Nobody does reverb like Fender in my experience. Even smaller Fender tube amps can get pretty loud too, so it is important to fit the amp to the places you'll playing, whether that's a huge club or a small bedroom.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I had an early '90s Fender Super Amp that was made by their custom shop. It did not say 'reverb' in its title but is sure had reverb on it. Big fat sweet juicy reverb, as good as my Princeton Reverb. Glorious sounding amp but sadly I did not catch any of it on tape.

It was a 4x10 beast to carry, though. Still wish I had it, even if I can't play it right now in my apartment. I've very rarely seen one in the wild. Two of them and one was a snakeskin tolex. Sadly that amp was not maintained well and didn't sound as good as my old amp did.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Hi Torben!

What kind of music would you use it for? And how much power do you need in an amp? Many if not most Fender tube models have tube reverbs. I have a Deluxe Reverb Reissue, and the reverb on it is warm and glassy at the same time. Nobody does reverb like Fender in my experience. Even smaller Fender tube amps can get pretty loud too, so it is important to fit the amp to the places you'll playing, whether that's a huge club or a small bedroom.
    Oh yeah, important info. Forgot to mention that, sorry.
    The style is old school blues based rock, mostly inspired by the sound of old Aerosmith/the Black Crowes/ sort of things- even though I know they probably got their going with Marshall/hiwatt/wizard stuff, but lately I’ve been more towards the cleaner sound with a sweet nice tube breakup. Have been very fascinated by Marcus king lately but like his “earlier” stuff more when he used the super reverb as main amp. it looks like he’s been headed more towards Marshall and orange amps on his newer live material which I’m not that much into.
    Have had my share of Marshall’s, vintage orange and wizard heads and a couple of 60’s vox ac 30’s when I was playing larger venues, but I’m at a Point know where I’d love to go the fender way sound wise.
    I’m in a ballpark of max 40w and probably less as it’s for band rehearsal only at this time and hopefully small club gigs later on.

My thought would be a nice breakup from the amp and then my vintage ts808, on which I’d turn down the volume Knob, so I can have the tube saturation at lower volume if that would work?
    Im using an original 1955 les Paul junior single p90 pu, as Ive always been using the volume knob to clean up the dirty Natural amp overdrive and vice versa. Ive always been used to use the bridge pu mostly, so even though I’ve owned numerous custom shop les Paul’s and vintage teles, the junior suits Me best with its simplicity.

Best regards
    Torben

If you're not turned off by the automated work and cheaper parts of current Fender amps, you really should consider the Deluxe Reverb. It's loud and has beautiful breakup. If you play a huge room, you might need to mic it, but it'll do in most clubs. When I first got mine, it was a bit too treble-y. But as it aged, it has become warm and sweet. They're used on countless records too. I've heard stories about stars with stacks on stage but with a mic'd Deluxe doing the work backstage. If you can't spend that kind of money, you might consider a Blues Jr. Nice tube amps for a good price.

Fender also makes Custom Shop versions of several models. If you've got the money for one of those, that's where I'd go. I don't, and I couldn't be happier with my Deluxe Reverb. It gets compliments almost every time I play it at rehearsals and shows.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    I had an early '90s Fender Super Amp that was made by their custom shop. It did not say 'reverb' in its title but is sure had reverb on it. Big fat sweet juicy reverb, as good as my Princeton Reverb. Glorious sounding amp but sadly I did not catch any of it on tape.

It was a 4x10 beast to carry, though. Still wish I had it, even if I can't play it right now in my apartment. I've very rarely seen one in the wild. Two of them and one was a snakeskin tolex. Sadly that amp was not maintained well and didn't sound as good as my old amp did.
    Wow, never heard of that one...😳😳😳
    Thats what confuses me cause the original vintage brownface super amps doesnt not have reverb as I recall?????
    🤔🤔🤔🤔
    The 90s vibroverb have but Ive read owners suggest some upgrades to Make them sing... would be very interested in one of those though especially because of the 40w and reverb:)

I wanted a Vibroverb and always regretted not buying one a few years ago.

I just looked up prices. I saw 90s-era brown faces for 2200 dollars. I saw a new Vibroverb 68 Reissue for 1100 dollars. They have reverb.

I'd research the differences and see which one would better suit your needs. I'd be more likely to get the new Vibroverb, but that's just my tastes. The new ones are voiced for both modern and vintage tones.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=ch willie;644889]If you're not turned off by the automated work and cheaper parts of current Fender amps, you really should consider the Deluxe Reverb. It's loud and has beautiful breakup. If you play a huge room, you might need to mic it, but it'll do in most clubs. When I first got mine, it was a bit too treble-y. But as it aged, it has become warm and sweet. They're used on countless records too. I've heard stories about stars with stacks on stage but with a mic'd Deluxe doing the work backstage. If you can't spend that kind of money, you might consider a Blues Jr. Nice tube amps for a good price.

Fender also makes Custom Shop versions of several models. If you've got the money for one of those, that's where I'd go. I don't, and I couldn't be happier with my Deluxe Reverb. It gets compliments almost every time I play it at rehearsals and shows:

Sound suitable is that a blackface circuit?
    I think the custom shop is out of my league, if not a good deal on a used one.
    Any info on differences between the brownface and blackface curcuit?
    Once had an original 51 wide panel Princeton tweed.
    Nice and loud but lacked when used with a band...should have kept it for home use though🤬😂

I am no expert on amps, just know what I like and like what I like.

But we have some intelligent and knowledgable guys who will probably be very helpful in terms of the electronics. That's one of the things I love about this site. Folks know a lot about guitars and amps, and they're very kind about sharing info.

Forum Member

Have been checking this clip a couple of times. Is that a brownface and just a fuzz face on which he cleans and dirty up the sound on the guitar volume?
    Amp model? And guess its and amp with plenty of headroom to do that?

LINK:
    https://youtu.be/Hh2p4q8knvc

Forum Member

I am no expert on amps, just know what I like and like what I like.

But we have some intelligent and knowledgable guys who will probably be very helpful in terms of the electronics. That's one of the things I love about this site. Folks know a lot about guitars and amps, and they're very kind about sharing info.
    Sweet👍
    Love to learn as I know I have never gotten the full potential out of many great amps Ive owned as I stupid enough thought it was just plug in, and have the pedals do the overdrive and stuff..
    Never really experimented with the natural breakup and sweet spot🤯
    Now as Im older my sound is a lot cleaner and Id love to just go with a guitar-amp-boost and maybe a fuzz, plain simplicity:)

BTW: is it possible to have an amp set at breaking point which would probably be loud, turn on a fuzz pedal and on the fuzz just lower the volume so that you can get the amps natural breakup at lower volume, and have the possibility to go from clean to overdrive to fuzz just by using the volume knob on the guitar, or would the fuzz automatically colour the amp sound too much so that it wouldnt have the natural overdriven Tube amp sound?

Hope you understand what I mean?
    Best regards
    Torben

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Perry View Post
    Sweet👍
    Love to learn as I know I have never gotten the full potential out of many great amps Ive owned as I stupid enough thought it was just plug in, and have the pedals do the overdrive and stuff..
    Never really experimented with the natural breakup and sweet spot🤯
    Now as Im older my sound is a lot cleaner and Id love to just go with a guitar-amp-boost and maybe a fuzz, plain simplicity:)

BTW: is it possible to have an amp set at breaking point which would probably be loud, turn on a fuzz pedal and on the fuzz just lower the volume so that you can get the amps natural breakup at lower volume, and have the possibility to go from clean to overdrive to fuzz just by using the volume knob on the guitar, or would the fuzz automatically colour the amp sound too much so that it wouldnt have the natural overdriven Tube amp sound?

Hope you understand what I mean?
    Best regards
    Torben
    actually, I think that is doable with the right pedal. You'll want one that is known for being very transparent and definitely not high gain. There's one I can think of but the builder has somewhat of, uh, tainted reputation *cough*plagiarism*cough* that might do the trick.

I think the TS808 might be the way to go for what you play. But Dan knows more about this stuff than I do, so I defer to his knowledge.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    actually, I think that is doable with the right pedal. You'll want one that is known for being very transparent and definitely not high gain. There's one I can think of but the builder has somewhat of, uh, tainted reputation *cough*plagiarism*cough* that might do the trick.
    Cool info all of you have, really appreciate it👍 Thanks❤️
    Hope some of the guys mentioned will chime in too🙏🏽

Have been looking at the Klon centaur (?) and have been in contact with bill, have definitely thought of that one to do the magic but it would be money I had to pay without trying, because theres non for sale here in DK, and Id like the long tail version the most if I had to take it all the way on that one 👀
    But actually, some said it was better for a 2 pu guitar and wasnt for all.🤔🤔🤔🤔

Forum Member

My favorite clean is a 59-60 Fender Bassman.
    Period.
    Below 4-5 they are beautiful.
    If you have the room to crank it ... it is my favorite dirty too.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    My favorite clean is a 59-60 Fender Bassman.
    Period.
    Below 4-5 they are beautiful.
    If you have the room to crank it ... it is my favorite dirty too.
    The bassman is without reverb, right?🤔

Forum Member

Yes.
    If you HAVE to have that there are many solutions out there.
    I like this one...the vibrato is awesome

Or if you need all in one solutions: Bassman circuit at 20 amps + reverb
    + a chillingly good vibrato The Victoria Silver Sonic

But if I could have but one toy it would be this: Clark Piedmont

Last edited by renderit; 09-07-2020 at 04:49 AM.

Forum Member

Clark Piedmont. He knocked off the perfect 1960 Bassman. Tight yet wonderfully rich. Sounds just like an original. Today.

If you want one that sounds just like an original back a few years after they were made this is a good choice. Tighter. Less "drifted".
    A bit more '59 in the speaker department. (The 60 had better speakers): Victoria 45410

Forum Member

Or....

And, believe it or not, the new reissue Fender is making sounds pretty damn good as well.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    Or....

And, believe it or not, the new reissue Fender is making sounds pretty damn good as well.

😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳
    GAS!!!!!
    Wow what a great collection!!!!!

I'm glad someone else suggested the Deluxe. Might not be right for his needs, but I like it that renderit gave a nod to the Deluxe, even to the machine-wired and plastic parts DRRI. I've had mine for 12 years, and I like it more all the time. I hope the parts will hold out. Time will tell.

Forum Member

I think the Deluxe is a golden standard.

I have had the DDRI right next to this one.

Yes, you could tell the difference.

But it was close enough that my feeling was if you put the DDRI in this cabinet with this speaker and these tubes it would be so close as to not matter.

Forum Member

I'm glad someone else suggested the Deluxe. Might not be right for his needs, but I like it that renderit gave a nod to the Deluxe, even to the machine-wired and plastic parts DRRI. I've had mine for 12 years, and I like it more all the time. I hope the parts will hold out. Time will tell.
    Great info guys.
    Which brownface would come closest to the vibroverb?
    Looks like None of the ones made before the vibroverb has reverb so is it correct that 63 was the introduction of reverb?

Also anyone here able to explain all the short terms of amps as Im really confused...

DDRI would be =deluxe Reverb reissue, right???? Or am I all wrong here😕

I do believe you are correct, that 1963 saw the introduction of reverb on black face models

DRRI = deluxe reverb reissue
    PRRI = Princeton reverb reissue
    TRRI = Twin Reverb reissue but I don't see that nearly as often as the previous 2

1963 brought many "firsts" for Fender. The 6G16 Brownface Vibroverb amp. The later Blackface reverb amps that had a totally different "tremolo" circuit employing the "trem roach" approach. The introduction of "bright" switches. The change in circuit designations from 6GXX to AAXXX designations or ABXXX designations. Don't know why I'm so interested in history, I had some of the worst history teachers in school, but I find Fender history interesting.
    Cheers.