Thread: Fender Slo Blo fuses

Forum Member

Fender Slo Blo fuses

I own a 1973 Fender Deluxe Reverb. I always turn off standby, then turn on power and let it warm up before use. This morning I accidentally hit the power button and shut it off. I turned it back on, flipped on standby and my 2 amp slo blo fuse blew. I think the surge is what caused the fuse to blow. The amp was serviced less than a year ago, everything was cleaned, caps replaced and tested.
    I started looking online and found the mdl-2 fuse available but they are all rated at 250 volts instead of 125. Is it okay to use this fuse? If not, does anyone know where I can get the original 125 volt fuse?
    Thanks Gary

Re: Fender Slo Blo fuses

Quote Originally Posted by glmoore0001 View Post
    I own a 1973 Fender Deluxe Reverb. I always turn off standby, then turn on power and let it warm up before use. This morning I accidentally hit the power button and shut it off. I turned it back on, flipped on standby and my 2 amp slo blo fuse blew. I think the surge is what caused the fuse to blow. The amp was serviced less than a year ago, everything was cleaned, caps replaced and tested.
    I started looking online and found the mdl-2 fuse available but they are all rated at 250 volts instead of 125. Is it okay to use this fuse? If not, does anyone know where I can get the original 125 volt fuse?
    Thanks Gary
    Fuses are rated for current, so a 2 amp fuse will blow when more than 2 amps flows through it. Regardless of it's a125V fuse, a 250V or a 600V fuse. A MDL-2 fuse should work fine.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vinyl View Post
    Fuses are rated for current, so a 2 amp fuse will blow when more than 2 amps flows through it. Regardless of it's a125V fuse, a 250V or a 600V fuse. A MDL-2 fuse should work fine.
    Thank you very much for the help!
    Gary

Forum Member

The slow blow is important though.

They make the same amp fuse in normal and slow-blow.

The slow-blow will take a few more milliseconds of power being slightly higher before burning up and can be necessary for the tubes to charge up.

Think of it as kinda the opposite of a surge protector...