Thread: Here's the Sunday Thread for The End of August, 8-30

Here's the Sunday Thread for The End of August, 8-30

Well, August is done for. And we're still in the covidiocy. Which means nothing different for me today. A brief, outdoor church service this morning, then back home to... do what? I finished reading a library book last night, so I'll check online for something new. And I'll play some guitar (natch!). I'll watch baseball this afternoon, but this year is so weird, it seems like just exhibition season. There's no rhythm or team development to me.

I'm on track to be in Barbados this time next week. I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to a change of scenery right now!

How's everyone's Sunday shaping up?
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: Here's the Sunday Thread for The End of August, 8-30

Today is supposed to be a nice day weather-wise. We're meeting my stepson and his family down at the trout camp for a birthday celebration. They got tons of rain yesterday, so fishing will probably suck, but you know what they way about a bad day of fishing... I have a couple more days of vacation, but it hasn't meant much - still doing meetings and taking calls like I was working... this sucks!

Friday was cool. I got a phone call from my birth mother, her husband and my new sister. They all sang me happy birthday. A year ago we didn't know each other existed. Evert year on my birthday she would pray that I was OK - that I had been adopted by a good family. She even wrote my name on the calendar each year, but no one knew what it meant. It was really touching to be able to talk to her this year.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Glad to be alive. Glad about the simple and small things. Glad to have food, clothing, and shelter. Glad to be able to play guitar and to have guitars to play. Peace and love to all.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Crisp, sunny morning here with my coffee on the back deck. Finally got my motorcycle clutch parts from overseas (Bavarian Motor Works). So will spend this morning finishing the clutch job I started on 1 August. And ideally out for a ride this afternoon. The upside of the bike being on the work stand is that I’ve put a lot of mileage on my pedal bike this month - just shy of 500km right now.

In the final laps of getting my mother moved into a supportive living retirement home. It’ll be a big load off when she’s settled in there in a couple of weeks. Then a big push to clear out, clean, fix up and sell her condo. That’s what my autumn is looking like. Once that’s done I can take a deep breath. So. Many. Details. And Covid is making every part of this process way more sticky.

looks to be pretty decent today. going to an open house in a couple hours. I like the neighborhood it is in, and it has a heated stand alone workshop. Got my fingers crossed. The last open house that was a total zoo was for an investment type property being a two family unit, this is a single family home so hopefully it isn't as crazy.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

It's beautiful but very windy here! I took a nap in the three season room and the sound of cracking branches woke me up. Nothing hit the ground, though.

We're going to go check out a new local nature trail.

Don, it was windy up here too. I stepped out the door and almost immediately lost my hat.

Man, I like this house. 3003 sq ft. Built in 1930 after the Great Nashua Fire destroyed +80% of the buildings in the neighborhood. Tons of character, no 2 houses there look alike. I was shocked at how big some of the rooms were. We're putting in an offer but we'll have competition.

I hope we get it. The neighbor next door is pretty cool. I walked by a month or so ago and they were blasting good tunes. VW van. Tie-dyed shirts. I think I'd get along great with them.

That workshop is nice and big. It could easily be 300 sf and where I'm coming from a <100 room when I had one, it would be cavernous.

It's all pipe dreams right now, we don't have cash reserves to go deep into a bidding war. But I feel energized by the prospect that eventually we will get a house in that neighborhood.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

It’s been a mixed bag for the last couple of days.

I found out on Saturday morning that a good friend of many years had passed away from pancreatic cancer. When I talked to him at the end of May he was fine so I guess it was kind of quick. Saturday afternoon I sold my ‘56 Harley panhead to a good friend. I’ve owned my pan for 37 years so it was hard to part with an old friend. It’s going to a good home.

We started today with my usual breakfast with our good friends at the club where I’ve played my weekly jam session (interrupted by the corona virus) for the last two years. The owner hands me the phone and says someone wants to talk to the bassplayer. It turned out to be my fireteam leader from Vietnam who I haven’t spoken to for 53 years. A great way to end the week.

What an up and down couple of days.