Thread: Cobain Mustang Mod

Forum Member

Cobain Mustang Mod

I had my Cobain Mustang modded by adding a mini-toggle switch in between the volume and tone knobs. It was simpy too hard for me to switch pickups on the fly using the sliders. The sliders now serve as coil split, series, and out of phase switches. With both pups on and the Duncan JB in split mode, I can get a great Stratty position 2/4 sound.

I also had dual concentric volume and tone pots with treble bleed caps installed so that I can ramp down the bridge volume pot to clean up the JB without treble loss and set the neck pup volume higher to even out the volume between the high output JB and the low output Mustang neck pickups when using them both together. It also allows me to use 500K pots with the JB and 250k Pots with the Mustang single coil, rather than the stock 250k for both. I definitely prefer the JB with the 500K pots.

Here is a pic, along with my CP Jaguar HH:

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...kdcNstF7m9CatL

If you zoom in on the control plate area, you can see the toggle switch and dual concentric knobs.

Also, for anybody else experiencing difficulty with your Mustang vibrato bar falling out, I found nylon tipped grub screws online at McMaster & Carr that work great! I bought a bag of 6 very inexpensively a couple years ago and the first screw I installed is stilll going strong, so I think it is a good, inexpensive long term solution. You can probably also find them at most hardware stores.
    Last edited by Ricey; 08-29-2020 at 09:20 AM.