Thread: Fave Non-Fender Guitar

Fave Non-Fender Guitar

For years, I would have answered with a LP or 335. But y'all have heard me rattle on about Rics lately. It's been my fave brand of bass since 74. But I played a lefty Ric guitar for the first time when FedEx delivered mine several months ago. So my answer is the Ric 330. It sounds so good through my AC30 and DRRI. And almost as important, the neck fits my hand like no guitar I've ever owned. My 2008 AmStd Strat is almost as comfortable to play, but the Ric crosses the finish line every time.

If I had a 335, though, it'd be a contender for top spot--or a Heritage. After Don's review, I'd probably go Heritage 535 if I were in the market.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Fave Non-Fender Guitar

Well... all of my guitars are technically non-Fender and my favorite it my Tele style guitar, but out of my non-Fender style guitars, I like my Heritage H-535 the best.

It would be the Rick but I have been craving for a LP Júnior lately

I'm confused. Didn't we just have this thread? Or am I experiencing dčjá vu? Still...

As much as it's an odd choice, even to me, I'd have to say my KLŌS travel guitar.

Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

it's been many a long year since I've tried a Ric and at my current levels of GAS, probably would be best if I didn't touch one for a while until I get paid off. Heck, I'm even thinking about buy a third Squier Strat.

so my answer to this question? Probably my Squier CV50 Tele. I don't actually own any real Fender right now. Everything except my two custom shop Gibson are imports.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    it's been many a long year since I've tried a Ric and at my current levels of GAS, probably would be best if I didn't touch one for a while until I get paid off. Heck, I'm even thinking about buy a third Squier Strat.

so my answer to this question? Probably my Squier CV50 Tele. I don't actually own any real Fender right now. Everything except my two custom shop Gibson are imports.

Technically your Squier IS a Fender

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    I'm confused. Didn't we just have this thread? Or am I experiencing dčjá vu? Still...

As much as it's an odd choice, even to me, I'd have to say my KLŌS travel guitar.

I think I just did a thread about Fave Non-Fender Bass. I know these are silly questions. I'm just hoping to spark any discussion. I wish I had more technical expertise behind my posts.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

My favorite non-Fender guitar would have to be a 1977 Ibanez Silver Series Strat copy that I bought in the mid-80's for $25.
    A buddy of mine wanted money for a date and sold me that guitar. It wasn't very impressive at all. It just looked like a copy of an Olympic white Strat, (that had turned kind of toenail yellow by that time), with cheap hardware and lame electronics.

I bought new tuning machines for it, an original Floyd Rose locking trem, Dimarzio Pro 151 PAF, and two DP FS-1 pups, and a pick guard from WD, and some good pots and a switch and had it all installed after I modified the body a bit.

I filed the upper and lower bouts to be a bit more pointy, sanded them smooth, then painted them white with black tips. Below that, I covered the body with black fur, so now, the whole guitar has a kind of animalistic quality to it. After that, I had all the hardware and electronics installed.

What I ended up with was a guitar that I named the "Beast" and it has lived up to that name in spades! It's frightfully easy to play and get wild sounds out of it. Then I found out a couple of years later, that Dick Dale named his guitar the "Beast" so I had to re-name mine "Son-of-a-Beast."

31 years later, it's still roaring like the wild animal it is.

Harley

Great story, Harley!

(I'm going to have to get used to seeing your name here and not mistaking it for "Harley Benton.").
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Hexxe View Post
    My favorite non-Fender guitar would have to be a 1977 Ibanez Silver Series Strat copy that I bought in the mid-80's for $25.
    A buddy of mine wanted money for a date and sold me that guitar. It wasn't very impressive at all. It just looked like a copy of an Olympic white Strat, (that had turned kind of toenail yellow by that time), with cheap hardware and lame electronics.

I bought new tuning machines for it, an original Floyd Rose locking trem, Dimarzio Pro 151 PAF, and two DP FS-1 pups, and a pick guard from WD, and some good pots and a switch and had it all installed after I modified the body a bit.

I filed the upper and lower bouts to be a bit more pointy, sanded them smooth, then painted them white with black tips. Below that, I covered the body with black fur, so now, the whole guitar has a kind of animalistic quality to it. After that, I had all the hardware and electronics installed.

What I ended up with was a guitar that I named the "Beast" and it has lived up to that name in spades! It's frightfully easy to play and get wild sounds out of it. Then I found out a couple of years later, that Dick Dale named his guitar the "Beast" so I had to re-name mine "Son-of-a-Beast."

31 years later, it's still roaring like the wild animal it is.

Harley
    Dude, that’s some story!! Pics will be appreciated, we gotta see that beast!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Dude, that’s some story!! Pics will be appreciated, we gotta see that beast!
    I hope I got this right. Pics are with my phone, so not the best quality.

Right now, I only have one non-Fender* electric guitar and that’s a PRS SE Singlecut. I like it a lot. It’s the closest that the PRS SE line comes to a Les Paul, so it’s also my favourite LPSO**

I played that for a couple of hours last night- dropped the E to D and started with Van Haley’s Unchained!

*incl Fender subsidiaries like Gretsch!
    ** Les Paul Shaped Object

I could change my answer daily! Lately, I'm playing my Guild Blues 90 a lot. This guitar is one of the main reasons I don't have a Les Paul! When I'm not playing that, I'm often playing my Carvin DC-150. It's my "gold standard" mahogany/maple/humbucker guitar. It's the other reason I don't have a Les Paul.

I hope I got this right. Pics are with my phone, so not the best quality.

wow!! Buffalocaster! That’s probably the wildest strat I’ve ever seen! Thanks for posting!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    Right now, I only have one non-Fender* electric guitar and that’s a PRS SE Singlecut. I like it a lot. It’s the closest that the PRS SE line comes to a Les Paul, so it’s also my favourite LPSO**

I played that for a couple of hours last night- dropped the E to D and started with Van Haley’s Unchained!

*incl Fender subsidiaries like Gretsch!
    ** Les Paul Shaped Object
    Sounds good! I think I know the model you're talking about and the guy I see who plays one of those a lot does the same thing. Drop D tuning.

Even though they sound pretty good, I know I will never own a LP guitar. I tried a LP Deluxe when I was a teen, and just couldn't get used to it.

Harley
    I only have two brain cells left, and I'm saving them for the WEEKEND!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I could change my answer daily! Lately, I'm playing my Guild Blues 90 a lot. This guitar is one of the main reasons I don't have a Les Paul! When I'm not playing that, I'm often playing my Carvin DC-150. It's my "gold standard" mahogany/maple/humbucker guitar. It's the other reason I don't have a Les Paul.
    I can relate to that. There are a lot of great guitars out there that are still affordable, and fun to play.

Harley

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    wow!! Buffalocaster! That’s probably the wildest strat I’ve ever seen! Thanks for posting!!
    Buffalocaster?!? I never heard that before! I'll have to remember that for my next furry build

Harley

Gibson Les Paul without a doubt.

I have too many favorites. In electrics it would be either my ES 335 or my Stol custom-built guitar. More likely I'd choose one of my acoustics - either my Gibson J-200 or my Guild F-30 Aragon. I know if the house was on fire, the J-200 is the one I'd be grabbing on the way out.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Buffalocaster?!? I never heard that before! I'll have to remember that for my next furry build

Harley

hahaha yes, it reminded me of one of these:

My Epi Riviera P-93 has become my #1 axe. With the pickup arrangement they have all the power of P-90s with little hum. Individual volume controls, master tone and neck/mid-all 3-and mid/bridge pu switching make it my most versatile electric guitar. These 2014 Les Paul Melody Makers are a close runner-up.

Quote Originally Posted by JDUB View Post

My Epi Riviera P-93 has become my #1 axe. With the pickup arrangement they have all the power of P-90s with little hum. Individual volume controls, master tone and neck/mid-all 3-and mid/bridge pu switching make it my most versatile electric guitar. These 2014 Les Paul Melody Makers are a close runner-up.
    drat, wish the pic links worked
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"