Thread: Deluxe reverb at low volumes

Forum Member

Deluxe reverb at low volumes

New to the forum.
    Tiresome question with no definitive answer, but I'll ask anyway: is a Deluxe Reverb too loud for home, solo use? Looking for full spectrum (not boxy) sound, clean (no distortion wanted), with reverb and tremelo, at volumes that won't make me deaf.
    A Princeton might be ideal, but they appear to be getting more expensive by the minute. The pandemic makes going to a music store to try some out a somewhat dangerous proposition. Using an old Gibson with single P90 if that makes any difference.
    Appreciate any input, wikksmith.

Forum Member

Re: Deluxe reverb at low volumes

I don't believe I can tell the difference between 14, and 22 watts. At home or "living room" jams my 5E3 and DR clones work well, just different tones.

Forum Member

Thanks Bill.
    Any recommendations for a DR clone?
    wikksmith

Forum Member

I built mine!

don't forget the volume dial on the guitar, too. I've used Twin Reverbs in music stores to check out guitars and always turn them up past half way, 6 or 7. The guitar volume keeps it manageable and clean. Once I forgot to turn the amp back down and the next guy to try a guitar through it flipped the standby. Wow, what a spectacular explosion of squealing feedback.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Forum Member

When I first started playing out in the 60's, everyone had a Twin, and the music was never too loud. One 4th I remember 5 Twins next to my drums, in a hall that couldn't hold more than 300! Lead, Steel, Fiddle, Rhythm, and Piano all had Twins, (and the piano also has the power amp for his Rhodes!)

Depending on your neighbors, maybe.
    Getting it to naturally overdrive, it's pretty loud.
    Maybe try to new Tone Master Deluxe. It is a modeler, but it's pretty damn close in sound, plus it has built in attenuator. can go down to .2 watts, if I remember.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

The Deluxe sounds good at lower volumes, but you don't get the fullness of sound you want. I find that mine really gets the tone when the volume is set to 3-which is loud enough for my neighbors next door to hear it--they're very nice and tolerant of my playing. Even tiny all tube amps can be loud as hell. Modeler might be the way to go.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

Thanks for comments!
    Anyone use an amp attenuator with a DR? Would the result be any different from just leaving the amp volume at the lowest possible setting?
    wikksmith

Forum Member

Attenuators have their place.

Load boxes have more places.

And you can use headphones and turn that DR ALL the way up!

At the risk of incurring wrath, I would suggest a Vox AC15C1 1x12. I have the AC30 version. Even at lower volumes, the amp has clarity and depth.

I love Fender amps, but they are not made to be quiet. At least not in my experience.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison