Thread: Favorite Bass Model? (Are We Fenderites?)

Favorite Bass Model? (Are We Fenderites?)

I started thinking about how much I love Fender basses, about how versatile they are, and how they've survived in a music market that has changed dramatically over the years. Think 1984 and how many records were made with the Steinberger stick. Compare that number to the number just a few years later. A trend, though a few still use them. Fender basses can adapt to any genre, and Fender survived many such trends and is still going strong, although there are many, better manufacturers of basses out there.

My fave bass is the Ric 4001 or 4003. I admit that my attachment to my 4001 comes from having played it for 42 years, since I was 16. I wouldn't buy a second Precision or Jazz Bass, but if I had the dosh, I'd collect Ric basses. I wouldn't mind having several 4001s/4003s to mod. There's something kind of ugly about the 4001 that makes it beautiful to me, if that makes sense. I dig the funky shape of them, just freaky. I have no idea what Ric was trying to accomplish with that body--I mean, look at the horns!
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Favorite Bass Model? (Are We Fenderites?)

Well, Fender and/or Fender DNA for me. Have had a bunch of P, J and PJ basses. Also on my third EBMM Stingray. Have considered G&L in the past but never pulled the trigger. Only non Fender basses that interest me are Lakland and now D. Lakin (still heavily Fender influenced). Never had any jonesin’ whatsoever for any of the boutique/coffee table basses. Yes, Sadowskys are beautiful, but I get what I need from a Fender P or J! Meat and potatoes, baby!

I’m not as dogmatic with guitars - I’ve had a bunch, Fender, Gibson, Taylor, Gretsch, PRS and many more.

I’ve never really cared for the Rick esthetic. They sound good and the ones I’ve played felt great in my hands, but just nope. Not for me.

I don't play bass very often, but with my recent gravitation toward short-scale instruments, I find my Ibanez MiKro GSRM20 in "Root Beer Metallic" a very pleasant experience.

Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Squier by Fender so I guess I'm sort of a Fenderite?

I was watching an Ibanez *model eludes me at the moment but it was one Carol Kaye used. I figured if it was good enough for her ...

but it sold.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

I played Fender basses for first 25 years that I was a bass player and then moved to a Musicman Stingray 5 for the next 10 years, but my favorite is the Lakland deluxe 55-94 that I've been playing
    for a tad over 20 years now. It has a kick-ass sound, is versatile, and I've always said that from day 1, the Lakland has a neck that is so comfortable it feels like ut's the only bass I've ever played. it looks like this one.

I've never played a note on a five string. Was it something you got used to quickly? Do you actually use the B string much?

And yes, your Lakland(s): beautiful.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

Ha ha. When I wrote the title to the thread, I knew I'd get to see that beautiful bass, renderit.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I've never played a note on a five string. Was it something you got used to quickly? Do you actually use the B string much?

And yes, your Lakland(s): beautiful.
    I started playing a five string when I got sick of tuning the E down to cover some songs of the ‘80s and I didn’t like the sound of the octave pedals available at that time. I also like that I can cover three octaves without much change in hand position.

It took a little bit to break the muscle memory that the bottom string was an E. The first time I sang the Doors’ “Love Her Madly” all hell broke loose for me when I forgot I was playing the fiver.

I had a bit of a play on my Hofner. I'd have to rank it my fave along with the Ric. My love for the Hofner has nothing to do with it, besides the initial purchase. It' the hollow sound. Of course it's impossible for a small-bodied bass to sound as rich and deep as a standup bass (same tuning and octave), but I'm impressed at how much of an acoustic sound the Hofner has, more like a standup bass than a solid body electric sound. I recorded a snippet of bad playing but great sound with the Hofner through the Ampeg V4B. Played it back after a few days and was pleasantly surprised by the sound. It can do McCartney, but I've never heard a Hofner do this.

Forum Member

I am and have always been a Fender guy. I have a ‘62 Reissue Jazz. I love it and and I’m good with that!
    - Sean
    .................................................. ......

I prefer the Jazz body and electronics - especially the stack-knob configuration.
    However, I have fairly big hands, so the Jazz neck is very uncomfortably for me - my hands literally (not figuratively) cramp up if I play it for too long. I like the width and size of the Precision neck much better.
    Unfortunately for me, there's a very limited number of basses, short of custom build, that have those specs - far more common are the P=bass body with a J-bass neck.
    So, I had to build my own. Ebay'd a Jazz body - basswood with quilt maple cap, P-style neck - ended up fretless (bonus!.)
    Finished it with an iced-tea burst, red-stained back (similar to a Les Paul, with natural "binding". Fender CS Vintage 60's pickups, stack knob...
    really happy with it.

Last edited by jrgtr42; 10-07-2020 at 07:55 PM.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Yes, I'm a lefty and trying to buy a Jazz Bass neck for my Precision. It has to be an AmPro or better--I'm pretty anal about it. It is impossible now, but maybe when Fender puts out the revamped Pro, the old ones might get sold for parts. I keep a look out and so far, no success.

Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Thanks, Kenny. I've kept an eye out there for a while, but they only offer a Pao neck from the Standard line. They used to keep a stock of American parts for lefties, even bought an AmStd Strat neck from them once, but I haven't seen an American neck for lefty bassists in a while.

Email them and let them know what you are looking for. They have been really helpful through the years for me and also a couple of friends.
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Quote Originally Posted by FrankJohnson View Post
    Email them and let them know what you are looking for. They have been really helpful through the years for me and also a couple of friends.
    Well, you'd think that'd have been an obvious step, but I didn't even think about that. One day, I'll get used to living in the post 1890s world.