Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rickenbackers

Rickenbackers

So, a thread to discuss all the good things from Santa Ana, CA.

I’ll start with my own mapleglo blonde. I have a thing for 6 string Rickenbackers. These things are SO underrated. They do jangle, but oh boy do they GROWL when you want them to...

Re: Rickenbackers

That's a very nice looking guitar, Sérgio! A lot of knobs for one with only two pickups. What are they for?
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    That's a very nice looking guitar, Sérgio! A lot of knobs for one with only two pickups. What are they for?
    Neck pickup’s tone and volume, bridge pickup tone and volume knobs and a blender.

That's a great photo. I've thought about getting a 620, so I searched for video comparisons between it and a 330/360--couldn't find it on YouTube (odd!). What I found on fora says that the "620 might be said to have a more focussed sound with more sustain," to paraphrase. And yet, they sound similar overall. The only good excuse I'd have for getting one is that they look as cool af. I'll post pics of my 330 and 4001 together in this thread as soon as I get my good camera out and get some decent photos.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

is the 620 a solidbody guitar?
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    is the 620 a solidbody guitar?

Yes, solid neck thru body

I've got a 330 Rick. It's not always my go-to guitar, but I play it often enough that I don't want to get rid of it.
    Totally different sound than any of my other guitars - another dozen electrics, plus bass and acoustic.
    I've heard everything from folk-rock to punk played on them (watching a Tom Petty show on TV as we speak) and even from no gain to all the gain, you can still tell it's a Ricky behind it.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

I"ve had my 330 maybe six months or less, and it quickly became my number one, that after years of being a Strat and Tele guy. It's not a guitar for everyone, just suits my particular ideals.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by jrgtr42 View Post
    I've got a 330 Rick. It's not always my go-to guitar, but I play it often enough that I don't want to get rid of it.
    Totally different sound than any of my other guitars - another dozen electrics, plus bass and acoustic.
    I've heard everything from folk-rock to punk played on them (watching a Tom Petty show on TV as we speak) and even from no gain to all the gain, you can still tell it's a Ricky behind it.

Is yours a 6 or a 12 string 330? Oh, and PICS or it never happened!

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I"ve had my 330 maybe six months or less, and it quickly became my number one, that after years of being a Strat and Tele guy. It's not a guitar for everyone, just suits my particular ideals.
    Indeed. Ricks are definitely unique guitars. People either love them or just don't adapt to them at all. Everytime I open the case and pick up mine, people will ask me to hlod it or play it and it always goes either "wow, this is a work of art!!" or "Dude, how can you even play this thing??"

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Is yours a 6 or a 12 string 330? Oh, and PICS or it never happened!
    6- stringer hear.
    It's just a bog-standard black (Jetglow) 330. I don't have an online photo account to post pics to.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Quote Originally Posted by jrgtr42 View Post
    6- stringer hear.
    It's just a bog-standard black (Jetglow) 330. I don't have an online photo account to post pics to.

I use https://postimages.org/

free and easy

I use https://postimages.org/

free and easy
    I second that. In fact, there's sticky post here on how to post images, using Postimages.
    Striving to be ordinary

Ought not to have, but I've put in an offer on Reverb for a Ric 4003s. It's like McCartney's appearance wise (diff pickups)--unbound neck, unbound body, dot fret markers.

I am happy with the way my 4001 sounds. If I get the 4003, it will be to convert it into a fretless. The vid I saw of a guy with a factory fretless had it sounding so great that I totally dropped the idea of getting a Jazz bass for the conversion.

It's Mapleglo just like my 4001. I've never had two guitars of the same model with the same finish.

It's a RIC fever!!

I'm trying to resist. Got him down to 1950.00 with shipping. The unbound neck makes it perfect for a de-fretting. I've got to decide whether having a Ric fretless is worth paying about 2100.00 by the time it's de-fretted. I could get an AmPro Jazz and have it de-fretted for 1600. $500 is a lot of dosh.

Finally talked some sense into myself.

I'm going to take my current AmStd Jazz Bass and have it converted to fretless. When I see something that suits me, I'll pick up another Jazz Bass in the future for fretted action. I'm hoping Fender will offer lefties American basses with maple fretboards.

Willie, you still owe this thread some pics of that immorally besutiful Bass of yours

Willie, you still owe this thread some pics of that immorally besutiful Bass of yours
    Goodness!

Hard for me to believe I've had the bass 42 years. I still remember the smell of the case when I opened it for the first time. 1978, a couple of lifetimes ago.

Continuing the Rick thread, I just came across this video on Mike Campbell's 625/12, which was on the cover of Tom Petty's "Damn the torpedoes" album.

If you take the time to watch the video, there's plenty of cool trivia on that guitar. For instance, it was built right next to one of George Harrison's own Rickenbackers!

so is that a 12 string (can't see any doubles) or is it being played as a 6 str

I could be wrong but AFAIK Mike plays it fully strung.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...8/?jwsource=cl

I was reading some news about the 2021 guitar models and saw that RIC is releasing some cool models and finishes in Europe. They do have an odd way of doing business, advertising and running the company but they know their own stuff.

Sorry that the article is written in Portuguese, but I'v only found European articles about it in Portuguese and German. Anyway the pictures look good, I especially like the Tobacco Glo finish (the black plastics not so much).

Rickenbacker, 90ş Aniversário com Dois Novos Modelos de Ediçăo Limitada | Arte Sonora

I'd love one of those 330 type basses. The one on the left is just too exotic for my Rickenbacker tastes. It is a beautiful instrument, just strange to see, I guess.\

I'd love one of those 330 type basses. The one on the left is just too exotic for my Rickenbacker tastes. It is a beautiful instrument, just strange to see, I guess.\

I never liked black plastics on guitars except on SGs.

I like that Tobacco Glo, if they could do a guitar in that finish that doesn't have so much of it covered by a pickguard, I'd be all over it.

I really like how the 620s/610s feel. I owned a Jetglo 620 for a few years, then I picked up a nice 610 that I really enjoy playing (so I sold the 620). I also have a Fireglo 330-12, and a 4001 which is fun to play. Rics are great and sometimes underrated guitars.

I happened upon this on yt. Watch this guy play. Good lord, he makes it sound incredible.

Last edited by ch willie; 02-16-2021 at 12:06 PM.

I happened upon this on yt. Watch this guy play. Good lord Krishna, he makes it sound incredible.

that was totally uncalled for, dangit. What model was the one being used on the outro of the video? I wished there was information about what effects he was using, but dayum he sure did make it sound good.

What model was the one being used on the outro of the video?
    It's a 330. He certainly got a great sound out of it.

The minute I played my 330, it took over from my Tele as number one. I thought that it was a honeymoon phase, but nope, it's the one. I'm making myself lay it down for a month while I see where I can go with the Les Paul and writing. If I played live today, I'd go total 330.

I checked their US dealers for NH, but they had my buddy Dave's store in Amherst as a dealer. He hasn't been open for 2 or 3 years now, unfortunately.

There were a couple on Reverb, in the 2K range. I'm not going to jump the gun on anything at the moment so I'll be keeping an eye out. I want to find out more about them. I do recall that the basses had certain issues to watch out for i.e. headstock cracks, neck joint cracks and I don't know enough about these guitars to know what to watch for if buying used.

I'm getting whiplash here. Just a few days ago, I was full in the throes of GAS for a Flying V. Rickenbacker has doused that conflagration but sparked a new tinderbox of its own.

I watched a factory tour video specifically showing how they made 330s. WANT.

I might be in need of therapy. Think I'll go play my new keyboard for a while.

I checked their US dealers for NH, but they had my buddy Dave's store in Amherst as a dealer. He hasn't been open for 2 or 3 years now, unfortunately.

There were a couple on Reverb, in the 2K range. I'm not going to jump the gun on anything at the moment so I'll be keeping an eye out. I want to find out more about them. I do recall that the basses had certain issues to watch out for i.e. headstock cracks, neck joint cracks and I don't know enough about these guitars to know what to watch for if buying used.
    If you keep your eyes open you can sometimes pick one up at a lower price. I got my 610 off Reverb just watching every day until someone posted a good deal - I paid under $1000 for it several years ago.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

If Rickenbacker built guitars that actually fit player's hands they'd sell a lot more of them, amass ample cash reserves to allow expansion of their production facilities, and upgrade their corporate status to that of a major player instead of the also-ran they've always been (and seem determined to remain).
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

I really need to find one in person to play. I haven't touched one in so long and all I remember was the flypaper-like fingerboard, which bore an uncanny similarity to the horrible neck on my first Stratocaster. It's probably been well over 30 years since I've tried one.

But, damn, the sound.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    If Rickenbacker built guitars that actually fit player's hands they'd sell a lot more of them, amass ample cash reserves to allow expansion of their production facilities, and upgrade their corporate status to that of a major player instead of the also-ran they've always been (and seem determined to remain).
    Do you mind expanding that comment? How do Rickenbackers NOT fit a player's hands?
    Striving to be ordinary

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

The fretboard is too fucking narrow for my fingers.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

I did see a mention about that. They don't tend to flair out as much as the other major brands. At first I was thinking about neck depth but I thought it couldn't be that.

Like I said, I haven't played one in many decades and I am far more advanced a player than I was the last time I tried one. Or at least that's what I tell myself

I need to know if I can live with the difference to get that sound. I'm kind of hoping I can.

The narrow neck is just what I like about it. I have big-ish hands, put them into Clapton's imprints at the Guitar Center in LA, and the dimensions were amazingly close. Not sure why, but that neck feels like it was made for me.