Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rickenbackers

Re: Rickenbackers

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    If Rickenbacker built guitars that actually fit player's hands they'd sell a lot more of them, amass ample cash reserves to allow expansion of their production facilities, and upgrade their corporate status to that of a major player instead of the also-ran they've always been (and seem determined to remain).

That's exactly their point. In John Hall's interviews, he always states that RIC won't go down that road. They simply don't want to be bigger and have to move production to overseas, offer cheaper budget brands like Epiphone or Squier, and so on.

Me, I admire them. All their guitars are made in California, there is no proper "low end" or "high end" model, each one being close to unique, and they also don't have a boutique called "custom shop", like Fender and Gibson do. Makes me think of what Fender was all about back in Leo's days.

Even proper custom instrument orders are very rarely taken. And they actually don't sell the reissue/vintage fad. If asked, they'll tell you that modern Rickenbackers are just as good as the vintage ones and probably even better.

As for the necks and fitting big guys' fingers, there are several models with wider necks.

Quote Originally Posted by thewonders View Post
    I really like how the 620s/610s feel. I owned a Jetglo 620 for a few years, then I picked up a nice 610 that I really enjoy playing (so I sold the 620). I also have a Fireglo 330-12, and a 4001 which is fun to play. Rics are great and sometimes underrated guitars.
    These 620s have the fastest necks I've always tried, at least for my small hands. They are also very light. I gigged with mine a handful of times. The only downside is that they are a "one trick pony", not nearly as versatile in a cover band as a stratocaster.

I've been looking around and hens' teeth are plentiful in comparison. There's 1, that's one single Ric 330 within 100 miles of me to try. It's in the South Shore section near Boston, which is currently under a major winter storm right now for the next 36 hours. That's over an hour away on a good day with no traffic and good luck finding parking with all the snow they've been getting this winter. I'd probably have to wait until Spring.

Sweetwater has a very tempting price on one but there's no financing. I'd have to sell a bunch of guitars and put the rest on a credit card. But at least that's not going away. The one down in Boston is 3 hundred dollars more.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    These 620s have the fastest necks I've always tried, at least for my small hands. They are also very light. I gigged with mine a handful of times. The only downside is that they are a "one trick pony", not nearly as versatile in a cover band as a stratocaster.
    Have you tried a 650? Similar body but wider maple neck.

Have you tried a 650? Similar body but wider maple neck.

No. Rickenbackers are not very easy to find here where I live and I was lucky to come across the a 325, a 330 and a 620. Chose the 620 exactly because of the thin neck, small solid body and the high gain pickups.

I liked the 325 too but it was TOO expensive.

No. Rickenbackers are not very easy to find here where I live and I was lucky to come across the a 325, a 330 and a 620. Chose the 620 exactly because of the thin neck, small solid body and the high gain pickups.

I liked the 325 too but it was TOO expensive.
    I understand. I prefer the thinner necks (620, 330) myself. I would gave kept the 650 I had - it was a fun guitar to play around on - but I just didn't care for the wider neck.

I understand. I prefer the thinner necks (620, 330) myself. I would gave kept the 650 I had - it was a fun guitar to play around on - but I just didn't care for the wider neck.
    The 330 was also a dream guitar but I’m a short man, just a tad taller and stronger than Angus Young, so semihollows and hollowbodies will usually make me uncomfortable and dwarfish looking.

The 330 was also a dream guitar but I’m a short man, just a tad taller and stronger than Angus Young, so semihollows and hollowbodies will usually make me uncomfortable and dwarfish looking.
    My first Ric 6-string was a Jetglo 340 which has a great sound but I've just never been a big-body guy. So I sold the 340 and first tried a 650, but there's that wide neck. That's when I bought a 620.

Yeah, Ric's are a bit smaller neck than I'm used to and am generally comfrtable with, but still on the right side of where I can't play them. SO many of the newer brands |I really dig so many things about them, but they use a similar neck pattern to Ibanez' Wizard neck. That's just too thin my my big paws - my hands cramp up when I try to play for more than a couple minutes.
    My biggest complaint about my Rickenbacker 330's neck is the frets - it feels like they are under the finish, bringing a new level to the "fretless wonder" of the early |Les Paul Customs.
    But the body is comfortable and the sound is so different from everything else I have, I can't possibly get rid of it.
    Dan - if everything was "normal" I'd offer to meet up and let you wring mine out - I'm not that far, and easier to get to than south of Boston.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Dan, I don't mean to make you lust after a Ric like I lust after a 30 yr old Ingrid Bergman, but ....

If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Yikes. My reverb feed alerted me at 4:20 that the fireglo 330 I was watching dropped its price from 2100 to 1600. I saw the listing at 5:09

sold
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Telenator once approached them about having them build one custom and they laughed at him. He built a couple from scratch that we pretty awesome. His Rickenrockers had the look, feel and sound but had a wide neck and were freakin' beautiful! Not sure if phtots are around... I'll look.
    Last edited by gibsonjunkie; 02-24-2021 at 06:44 AM.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Dan, I got mine from Dave's, brand new and at a much better price than the new ones I see on reverb. I paid only a bit more for mine than the one you missed on Reverb.

You've probably been to the site. They are out of stock on the Fireglo 330, but I'd either contact them or keep a watchful eye. They're not the most personable sellers in the world, still worth checking into.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I’m really enjoying these guys, great “early Rolling Stones” vibe and tone, with a Rickenbacker jangle

Holy thread revival Batman!

I had a 360. Maple. Great looking guitar. Cool sounds.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Tele-Bob View Post
    Holy thread revival Batman!

I had a 360. Maple. Great looking guitar. Cool sounds.

Don't forget the Rickenrockers. They were the sland.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim