Thread: Egad! It's the Sunday Thread for August 16, 2020

Egad! It's the Sunday Thread for August 16, 2020

It seems like just a week since I posted a Sunday thread!

A lot of rain this week, limiting the amount of outdoors time, but I did manage to get in some bicycle time. I live in the suburbs, so I'm on a quest to mentally map the entire neighborhood. I'm nearly there.

Started adding another song to my repertoire. This time it's Little Feat's "Voices On The Wind," a song from their Craig Fuller days, and one I've liked since it first came out. As with other Little Feat songs I've worked on, there's a lot of subtlety and complexity that isn't apparent on first listen. I'm finding what hampers my learning is my gawdawful vocals. Good thing I'm not a performing musician, I'd have all the cats in the neighborhood yowling.

Gearing up for another week of teaching. Back to one week a month, which is more manageable than every week! I hope everyone has had a good week and has a better week ahead.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: Egad! It's the Sunday Thread for August 16, 2020

I got up early, had Rutles Tea with my coffee, and listened to Earl Hines, Spike Jones, Hoagy Carmichael, and George Formby. I love jazz best from Duke, Gershwin, Earl Hines, Ella, Louis, and Django and the like. I listen to more modern jazz, but I could never connect with fusion.

Like all of us, I go through phases with music. I listen to and love great guitar playing, but I'm less interested in playing guitar hero than in using the guitar in an arrangement with instruments that are sometimes more prominent--in order to serve the song.

If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Rain predicted here today - we need it bad. I'm going to meet a cousin from my new family today. My (new) brother and his family are going to meet me there and we'll all do a barbecue.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

coffee in my hand
    waiting for the rain to fall
    one more Sunday morn

It's our last day of vacation. It looks like it's going to rain. I think I'll relax and play some guitar.

we were originally going to get some of that rain, Don. But it looks like it's going to miss us now. we need it. It's getting crispy and we need something to wash all the dried poop off the sidewalks,

my cat's already shedding his summer coat. I've been brushing him daily but he's still tossing hairballs. It's a tough job looking so good, poor kitty.

we're now ending week 6 since the nephew moved in. No sign at all he's going to be elsewhere anytime soon. I've lost my storage and work area for sorting the household stuff. We're paying north of 3 bills a month for storage and I was hoping to have it done by Labor Day. Ain't happening now. I might have to rent some space where I can spread shit out and sort it, I've got to get this done or it's going to be one of those "Storage Wars" episodes where they find virtually nil of value, except maybe my dad's old electric train set from the '30s.

The father of my youngest brother's girlfriend just got hospitalized with Covid, but it doesn't seem to be too severe. They last had contact July 25th. 3 weeks ago so hopefully my bro wasn't exposed. If he was, I've already seen him 2 times in the last couple of weeks ... cough cough ... uh oh.

lost one of my cousins this week to acute pancreatitis. We weren't close and haven't seen him since his mom's funeral in 2014. He was the youngest of his family and always had less than great health being born with one barely functioning kidney. But he was the first of our 'generation' on my mom's side to die. There have been a few on my dad's side and probably more that we don't even know. Being isolated in NH we didn't get to know the extended families much. There will be no funeral because of covid.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Lazy Sunday here after a particularly tough week.

Drove my daughter back to her mother’s and had lunch with my old folks. Then took 15 mins to arrange some stones for my Cacti bonsai.

I have been diving deep into Raul Seixas’ albums, to put together a tribute with some friends here in town. I even talked to his guitarist about his 70s records, it was a very pleasant and enriching chat.

I’ll have a couple of beers and play a lot of riffs this evening.

p.s. Where’s Roger?!

Forty-three years ago today Elvis died...my wife reminded me of that this morning.

We did our breakfast run on the Harley to meet our friends this morning and that was a beautiful morning dining out on the patio of our favorite place. Next Sunday afternoon I’ll be joining a good friend to play an afternoon gig on that same patio. Later, this afternoon, we’ll be doing a dinner run with our Corvette club so that should be a good time. Since this Covid virus thing started we haven’t seen many of our club friends.

Hope all have a great day!