Thread: what is a clean '65 VibroChamp worth?

Forum Member

what is a clean '65 VibroChamp worth?

I need some advice: last night, I found a pair of '65 BF VibroChamps at a local store. Both are very clean, including blue-label Fender speakers, trannys with codes indicating 1965, old tubes and both in almost excellent condition. One's grill cloth is a little dingy and has some scratches on the faceplate; the other's cloth is much cleaner (new?) and faceplate is very clean, but it's missing the logo on the front(?).

Soundwise, they are nearly identical, the rougher one needs some pot cleaner, tho. I actually preferred that one. I am taking my '73 VibroChamp in to A/B them for a reality check, each the pair are priced at more than twice what I paid for the '73. I want to see if I can hear that $$$ difference. Looks-wise, I am already sold!

There is some wiggle room on the price, but I think it's too high, the place is notorious for that. Should one of these be more or less than $500? Neat opportunity to try two like that at one time.

Please help me out, I am no expert by any means....

Forum Member

"Blackface, Blackface...be my pillow"

jmp,

Last year, I sold a primo, totally original, super clean, '65 Vibro Champ (w/ BF single footswitch) for $500 on eBay. It was an exceptional piece, in every aspect. They can be had for much less, tho. Thought I saw a decent one go for under $300 a week or two ago(?). You could do an eBay Search and check 'em out. I'm guessing $400 for a really nice one (better than what you're describing). Personally, I'd opt out for a SFVC at a significant savings. But, some collectors have to have BF, so... Good luck! :)

TFF Stage Crew
    I bought a '65 VibroChamp from a forum member back in the spring for $325 and he threw in a Weber replacement speaker in addition to the original. More than $400 for these is a little expensive in my book.

Forum Member

thought so...

I figured the price was too high, I just didn't know how high.
    I have a '73 that I love to death, and frankly, neither of the two I tried last night were a revelation. Plus, no footswitch! That's why I wanted to A/B them with mine, just to be sure. I just love the looks.

If I could get one under $400, or 6-something for the pair....

thanks for all the help, gents.

Forum Member
    jmp,

I added that footswitch to my '65, prior to selling it. Am 99.9% certain the Vibro Champ did not come with one, as odd as that may seem.

Again, I think yer all set with your '73 SFVC...unless you must have a BF for the sake of collecting(?). ;)

Forum Member
    Early 65 vibrochamps didn't have a fender plate on the grill. My 65 V-champ doesn't have one (Feb 65 - OB on the tube chart). I hope this helps.