Thread: Help identifying Bassman

Forum Member

Help identifying Bassman

Not sure why my first thread wont work but im curious if this was a head originally ? and put into a cabinet and whats its worth? Any help greatly appreciated thanks!

Re: Help identifying Bassman

I know of no early silverface bassman that originally came as a combo, let alone faux green lizard combo. The reason I say early silverface is because the faceplate is a "blackline" faceplate.

You can determine approximate date it was made by serial number, transformer numbers, pot numbers, ink stamped number inside the chassis near the power transformer.

I don't know if the second picture was taken at a weird angle, but it makes the output transformer look like it's not mounted correctly.

More pictures might help.

As to the value, "original" early silverface amps generally bring more money than later ones. In the end, something is worth whatever someone will pay for it. In my opinion, that cabinet and speakers devalues it considerably. I'm no expert, that's just my opinion.

Welcome to the forum, don't be a stranger.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vinyl View Post
    I know of no early silverface bassman that originally came as a combo, let alone faux green lizard combo. The reason I say early silverface is because the faceplate is a "blackline" faceplate.

You can determine approximate date it was made by serial number, transformer numbers, pot numbers, ink stamped number inside the chassis near the power transformer.

I don't know if the second picture was taken at a weird angle, but it makes the output transformer look like it's not mounted correctly.

More pictures might help.

As to the value, "original" early silverface amps generally bring more money than later ones. In the end, something is worth whatever someone will pay for it. In my opinion, that cabinet and speakers devalues it considerably. I'm no expert, that's just my opinion.

Welcome to the forum, don't be a stranger.
    Thanks for the info yes the picture is taken on an angle and ill check for serial numbers. I know my dad had it recovered and its not original but wasn't sure if they made combos either-way its not from what you have stated . Im familiar with high gain heads very unfamiliar with fender. Ill get some more pics .Thanks again!

Forum Member

Looks like on the transformer 606-8-18 i believe a 68? according to this article ...

DATING FENDER AMPLIFIERS (INCLUDING SILVERFACE AND BLACKFACE AMPS) USING TRANSFORMER CODES

In general, Fender amps that don’t have rubber-stamped tube sticker date codes have EIA numbers on their transformers that might enable determination of the production date. These numbers always begin with “EIA 606,” and are followed by three or four digits in various combinations.

If three digits are present, the first digit refers to the year (i.e., a “7” would mean 1967). If four digits are present, the first two digits refer to the year (i.e., a “66” would mean 1966). The last two digits refer to the week of the year (i.e., a “26” would mean the 26th week or, roughly, June). For example, EIA 606-4-21 would denote the 21st week of 1964. It is also advisable to add about 6 months to the date to allow for time these parts may have spent in inventory storage.

Quote Originally Posted by smith10210 View Post
    Looks like on the transformer 606-8-18 i believe a 68? according to this article ...

DATING FENDER AMPLIFIERS (INCLUDING SILVERFACE AND BLACKFACE AMPS) USING TRANSFORMER CODES

In general, Fender amps that don’t have rubber-stamped tube sticker date codes have EIA numbers on their transformers that might enable determination of the production date. These numbers always begin with “EIA 606,” and are followed by three or four digits in various combinations.

If three digits are present, the first digit refers to the year (i.e., a “7” would mean 1967). If four digits are present, the first two digits refer to the year (i.e., a “66” would mean 1966). The last two digits refer to the week of the year (i.e., a “26” would mean the 26th week or, roughly, June). For example, EIA 606-4-21 would denote the 21st week of 1964. It is also advisable to add about 6 months to the date to allow for time these parts may have spent in inventory storage.

606-8-18 would indicate the 18th week of 1968. The reason I highlighted a portion of your quoted article in red is because there are instances where Fender sometimes used transformers made by Better Coil and Transformer, and their EIA code begins with 831. This is a good example of why the internet can be a source of mis-information.

Transformer date codes, pot date codes speaker date codes only provide a "ballpark" indication of the year an amp was made, which means it was made sometime after the latest date on a component.

From what I saw of your other pictures, which seem to be deleted, I think your power transformer may have been made by Better Coil and transformer.

Jensen speakers went out of business in the late 60's, and another company SICA Altoparlanti through a licensing agreement began producing Jensen speakers in Italy in the 90's.
    Last edited by vinyl; 08-13-2020 at 07:57 AM.