Thread: Troubleshooting a 1990 Twin Reverb Issue

Forum Member

Troubleshooting a 1990 Twin Reverb Issue

HI all,
    I bought a Fender Twin Reverb a few weeks back and the reverb didn't work. I replaced the reverb tank with one that isn't the correct part, but it worked. I used that one while I waited for what I believed was the correct one (4AB3C1B) to come. It came and I put it in....nothing. I tried a couple different RCA cables...still noting. So I figured I got a lemon. Ordered another tank and it came, I put it in, and you guessed it...nothing. So I'm at a little bit of a loss as to what to try now. Do you guys have any thoughts? I just retubed it if thats worth noting. Thanks in advance for the help!

Re: Troubleshooting a 1990 Twin Reverb Issue

Have you tried swapping the reverb cables?

Is the reverb footswitch plugged in (try it unplugged)?

Does the reverb "crash" sound come through the speaker when the amp turned on and is rocked?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Have you tried swapping the reverb cables?

Is the reverb footswitch plugged in (try it unplugged)?

Does the reverb "crash" sound come through the speaker when the amp turned on and is rocked?
    If you're referring to the RCA cables then yes I've swapped them a couple times, no difference. I've tried with and without the foot switch, no difference. If I tap on the tank really hard it will make a sound so it's getting some kind of signal. But I have to knock REAL hard.

Reverb tanks have an input and an output. If you inadvertantly switch the cables and get the output plugged into the input, and vice versa, you would get the symptons you described. I think that is what Don is asking by "swapping" cables.

If that doesn't work, then I'd start with trying the wrong tank that you said worked. If it still works then the problem is probably not the cables.

The bad news is if the incorrect tank works, then you have some other problem that is not cables or tubes.