Thread: Another Damned Carpel Tunnel Case

Another Damned Carpel Tunnel Case

I had an operation for it about 15 years ago. My right hand was better, but not 100%.

Now, it's come back worse than before. I have no health insurance, so I've been looking at reputable sites for help. Basically, I need to splint both my hand and wrist.

It does not hurt me to play guitar, but I've got to give my hands a rest.

I might have to become a kazoo player for a while.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Another Damned Carpel Tunnel Case

Ouch. good luck. I've been having some wrist issues, hopefully not from playing but rather all the moving activities. But that alarms me just the same because what if I'm doing a physical labor job sometime in the future. Am I going to have to be doing splints and icing all the time?

did you save any of your old splints?
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Willie, I am no doctor and strongly advise you to see one even if just for advice.

But here's what mine told me: splints will not exactly help and might cause some degree of muscular atrophy. He told me to only wear splints at night, while speeling, if I felt my hands hurt (and they did, so I used splints for sleeping only).

Ice and physical therapy help, ice being a great part of it.

Do you feel only pain or do you also feel a "shock" or cramps in your wrists? If it's just pain when you clench your fists or hold something, it could be just tendonitis, which is a matter of rest and ice more than anything else.

I also used antiinflammatory ointments, which are cheap and easy to find in drugstores. It helps a lot.

Oh and one thing that is highly overlooked: try to use your PC more and your cell phone less for internet. Handling a cell phone while typing and browsing sites is VERY BAD for wrists.
    Last edited by S. Cane; 08-06-2020 at 09:51 AM.

Dan, a couple of months ago, I actually threw away one that I had after my op. I've cussed myself up and down. I'm going to try to get one today. I got one last week from Amazon, and it did no good, worthless for my hands.

Serge, it could be tendonitis. It's in both hands, and I'm hoping it isn't diabetes related.

I need to take anti-inflammatories for a while. I don't use my cell phone for most correspondence. I use my laptop. I hate track pads, so i use an external mouse--I think that is responsible for a lot of my problems with my right hand. It's milder on my left hand, but still numb on the pinkies and sides of my hand.

I have been keeping my diabetes under control, except for those times when I have splurged. Still, it's a silent killer. I have a blood test coming up soon to see how I'm doing. If it is diabetes affecting my hands, I've got something worse going on than carpal tunnel. I am hoping it's tendonitis or carpal tunnel--those can be fixed to a greater degree. Once diabetes damages nerves, there's no recovery. My feet were damaged before I realized i had diabetes. I constantly feel as if I'm standing in water and sometimes have painful cramps. So I hope that's not what's happening in my hands.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison