Thread: 1978 Silverface Princeton Reverb

Forum Member

1978 Silverface Princeton Reverb

I am new to this forum and seeking advice/recommendations.

Sometime in the mid-'80's, I purchased a 1978 Princeton Reverb from a Mall music store in Dallas. It looked like it had been a floor model and was very reasonably priced. Years later, I went to another music store in Austin, purchased new tubes and installed them. Since then, it has spent most of the time in the closet. I recently took it out to see if it needed work. I'm not much of a tech but thought that checking the tube types with the list pasted in the amp chassis was a good idea. From what I see, several of the tubes the store sold me were not the type listed in the amp. Although I still have the original tubes, I'm thinking it best to purchase a new set that is correct. However, I don't know the best place or brand of tubes to purchase. I'm in my late '60's, recently retired, and guitar magazines these days advertise so many options. What should I buy?

Thanks in advance for any advice or recommendations.

Re: 1978 Silverface Princeton Reverb

Quote Originally Posted by andyv108 View Post
    I'm not much of a tech.
    Take it to a qualified tech. 42 year old electrolytic caps that are probably drier than the sahara desert. Indeed, the correct tubes are a plus. But do you want to play this amp, or do you want it to be a shelf queen? If you need advice about a qualified tech, then ask here, but be prepared to admit where you live.

Sorry to sound harsh, you have a nice porch weasel, please don't waste it.

In my opinion, very old amps that don't have anyone looking after them don't last.

Regards,
    vinyl

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vinyl View Post
    Take it to a qualified tech. 42 year old electrolytic caps that are probably drier than the sahara desert. Indeed, the correct tubes are a plus. But do you want to play this amp, or do you want it to be a shelf queen? If you need advice about a qualified tech, then ask here, but be prepared to admit where you live.

In my opinion, very old amps that don't have anyone looking after them don't last.

Regards,
    vinyl

No problem. Thanks for responding.

I live in San Antonio, Texas. Any recommendations re a qualified tech in this area?

Andy

the good news is you've got lots of good amp techs down there. It won't be cheap but trust me, it will be worth it. That's a nice amp to have just hanging around, I hope you get to use it.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by vinyl View Post

Regards,
    vinyl
    I agree. You really need to have the electrolytic caps replaced, for the amp's sound and to prevent damage caused by a failing cap.

Regarding the tubes, sometimes different designations are used (US vs Europe) for similar tubes. Let us know what you have and maybe we can tell you if they're acceptable.

Double post!