Thread: The Sunday Thread for Mid-Summer Aug 2

The Sunday Thread for Mid-Summer Aug 2

Around here, we call 'em the "dog days" of summer. It's August -- the hurricane season is upon us, the cicadas have come out, thunderstorms and flash-flooding (or at least warnings) are the norm, and everything is as it should be. No real plans today; I'm working on two new old songs, Allen Toussaint's "On Your Way Down" (as performed by Little Feat) and Michael Nesmith's "Roll With the Flow." Mostly acoustic stuff, but I have my Ibby handy -- and I'm really falling in love with that guitar! -- when I want to jack it up a bit.

I hope everyone has a calm, happy Sunday!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: The Sunday Thread for Mid-Summer Aug 2

It is August! July was hot - my lawn is a nice shade of brown. Rain forecasted for today and the Tropical storm will hit by Tuesday. I was supposed to have the windshield replace on my truck on Tuesday - probably will have to rescheduled. Stated removing the nails and screws from my deck. The sawzall is making short work of it. I need to see my buddy at Home Depot to figure out how much flooring to order and then I'll get busy making it whole again. Anticipating a busy work-week, so today will be a day of little done. Have a great week, everybody!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Tomorrow morning my wife has surgery to implant a port and Wednesday she starts 12 weeks of chemo. When she started all of this we were told she’d only need radiation but you don’t know for sure until you get the word after removal of the cancer. So, today is just a day of self-quarantine thanks to the Corona virus (surgical requirement) and tomorrow the journey begins.

Laker, you guys have been through it this last year. I wish you you both all the best.

I have a lot of throwing away to do today. I've bought a new bed, mattresses, and a box springs for one of the kids' old bedrooms, and a new mattress for the other's. So I've got to get some queen sized monsters out to the curb. After I've done that, I'm going to my garage for a massive throwing away party.

I can't be bothered with a yard sale. People come by and pick up nearly everything I sit out, and the city will scoop up the rest of it.

I've been going through my house and throwing away useless stuff. An adult bib? When TF has anyone in my family used an adult bib?

It feels goooooood to throw out junk and to organize the useful things.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Lazy rainy (and somewhat cooler) day here in the DN. Heatwaves seem to have run their course. In the middle of two weeks vacation leave. Haven’t really done too much but ride my pedal bikes and motorcycles. Which is good for the body and soul. Plan was to get my daughter her learners permit this week but the lineups at DMV have been insane. So we’ll wait until things settle down a bit.

Haven’t picked up a guitar in weeks. Barely doing anything musical at the moment. Mostly just outdoor physical stuff, bikes, landscaping, small repair projects etc. But it’ll come back around when it gets cooler out and darker earlier in the evening.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Laker, you guys have been through it this last year. I wish you you both all the best.
    Thank you, Mr. willie. I see you’re a Tennessee resident so if in or near Nashville you may know a friend, Dennis, a good studio guy who’s playing keys with Delbert.

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    Thank you, Mr. willie. I see you’re a Tennessee resident so if in or near Nashville you may know a friend, Dennis, a good studio guy who’s playing keys with Delbert.
    Laker, I'm from Nashville, and I go back from time to time, but I've been away from there since 1989, and I have very few ties to the scene there. You have no idea how much I wish I could go back to my hometown, but Nashville property is impossibly expensive now.

I met a lot of great players when I was around the scene. Back then, though, it was hard to be a rocker. Country was what the place was about, 99% of it, I'd say.

It'd be exciting to be on the scene today, not for fame, but because the place is teeming with great players and engineers of so many genres.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I just watched a good F1 race and have a new guitar day tomorrow (stay tuned). I'm not sure what we're going to do today. My wife and I have both been feeling a bit under the weather- no fever or covid symptoms.

Forum Member

Internet was down this morning, just got it back to check the news.
    Finished my wife's old Gibson Friday, the tuner is close enough that it isn't noticeable. She spent most of yesterday afternoon playing, said Russell really set it up nicely, really easy to play. She wants to work on a couple of new (to us) tunes, as usual I have to sing the harmony part. I worked out to intro-outro-lead rides couple of weeks ago, maybe it will come together easily!

I saw Delbert McClinton a few years ago. He was opening for Little Feat -- wow, what a show! McClinton's band has to be one of the tightest acts I've ever seen. Contrast that to Little Feat, the consummate jam band.

My prayers for your wife, Laker.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Thank you, OS!

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post

I have a lot of throwing away to do today. I've bought a new bed, mattresses, and a box springs for one of the kids' old bedrooms, and a new mattress for the other's. So I've got to get some queen sized monsters out to the curb. After I've done that, I'm going to my garage for a massive throwing away party.

I can't be bothered with a yard sale. People come by and pick up nearly everything I sit out, and the city will scoop up the rest of it.

I've been going through my house and throwing away useless stuff. An adult bib? When TF has anyone in my family used an adult bib?

It feels goooooood to throw out junk and to organize the useful things.
    WE rented a dumpster to take the deck floor away. Had a lot of left-over room so we filled it with crap from our basement. Felt really good to get rid of all that junk!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    WE rented a dumpster to take the deck floor away. Had a lot of left-over room so we filled it with crap from our basement. Felt really good to get rid of all that junk!

Ha ha--it's soul cleansing!

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I just watched a good F1 race and have a new guitar day tomorrow (stay tuned). I'm not sure what we're going to do today. My wife and I have both been feeling a bit under the weather- no fever or covid symptoms.
    wasn't that a crazy ending. seems like half the leaders were blowing tires and riding on 3 wheels at the finish. The announcer (Jackie Stewart?) sounded like he was about to have an aneurysm he was so excited. wild finish.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

my loving kitty tried to wake me up at 5 am this morning, after i had gone to bed at 3 am. I ended up sleeping until nearly 11 o'clock, when my brother and I were supposed to check out an open house. Turns out I only missed a too small property. I got some walking in but there were t-showers meandering about and I wasn't able to get as much as I wanted.

Don't know if I mentioned this elsewhere but I finally figured out how to bounce stereo mixes to a thumb drive and was going through my back catalog of the last 4 years. I've got a trip to the mountains again on Tuesday and hopefully I'll have my new stereo unit in my car, with a USB port on the front plate. Really looking forward to this as I've been listening to casettes the last couple of years since the CD player died. I've got 20 something downloads on the drive and can't wait to hear them.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    my loving kitty tried to wake me up at 5 am this morning, after i had gone to bed at 3 am. I ended up sleeping until nearly 11 o'clock, when my brother and I were supposed to check out an open house. Turns out I only missed a too small property. I got some walking in but there were t-showers meandering about and I wasn't able to get as much as I wanted.

Don't know if I mentioned this elsewhere but I finally figured out how to bounce stereo mixes to a thumb drive and was going through my back catalog of the last 4 years. I've got a trip to the mountains again on Tuesday and hopefully I'll have my new stereo unit in my car, with a USB port on the front plate. Really looking forward to this as I've been listening to casettes the last couple of years since the CD player died. I've got 20 something downloads on the drive and can't wait to hear them.
    I’ve been using an iPod, old iPhone, and now, a thumb drive via USB port in our cars for around seven years now. I dumped SiriusXM as a result.

I use the iTunes app to copy my CDs and Cassettes into the PC and then load the music files onto the various devices. Works really well.