Thread: I'm out of every other guitar forum

I'm out of every other guitar forum

I am entirely sick of what all the other forums I've been active at have become.

Over moderation, too much politically correct drama, too many young guys who don't have a clue about anything giving advice, AND older guys playing the "old curmudgeon" role and making a point in being rude or sarchastic.... Plus the very same old threads being posted over and over again.

I am so glad I found this place a handful of years ago. From now on I'll only log in here.

Re: I'm out of every other guitar forum

TFF also meets my daily "fix' for guitar-related stuff.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Forum Member

I hear you. I had to give up on facebook guitar groups entirely. Too much total nonsense, and all anyone wants is a fight.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianKelleher View Post
    I hear you. I had to give up on facebook guitar groups entirely. Too much total nonsense, and all anyone wants is a fight.
    I hear you brother. I was pretty active at another Stratocaster related forum, but I am done with all the PC bullshit and the fights.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianKelleher View Post
    Yes. I was pretty active at another Stratocaster related forum, but I am done with all the PC bullshit and the fights.

"You fought in the Tone Wars?!"
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

You're seeing now a veteran of a thousand psychic wars,
    My energy is spent at last, and my armor is destroyed,
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    "You fought in the Tone Wars?!"
    When it’s an ACTUAL tone war it’s cool... But I can’t stand another “Rosewood fretboard makes my strat sound darker” or “My U$ 100 Harley Benton is every inch as good as a Gibson Les Paul Jr” thread. Then it’s BS wars.

I checked in to a few different forums, but never even tried to connect with others. Other than a daily check at LetsTalkGuild, which I rarely post in, I only hang out here....
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

I don't hang out on other fora like I do here, but there's a good gang on Leftybassist.com, and I've gotten great info off Rickresource. Bought my Hofner from a guy on Lefty bassist. Ha ha, those guys are always buying and selling. You'll see a bass, and two or three will say, yeah, I owned that one at some point. But hey, we're a smallish community, and it's nice to see what's for sale.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I don't hang out on other fora like I do here, but there's a good gang on Leftybassist.com, and I've gotten great info off Rickresource. Bought my Hofner from a guy on Lefty bassist. Ha ha, those guys are always buying and selling. You'll see a bass, and two or three will say, yeah, I owned that one at some point. But hey, we're a smallish community, and it's nice to see what's for sale.

The problem with Rickresource is that it’s even more calm than here. You hardly get replies

I get replies only if I ask a question about something. Then I've gotten a lot of good help, lot of knowledgeable folks there. They're just not as personal as we've become here.

I tried the Hofner forum, and it's dead, or almost. Too bad because I'd like to discuss Hofners more. I've had a little interaction there, and it was good. Otherwise, the mortician might have to be called in soon.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

The Gear Page and here get about 90% of my screen time these days and it's a lot less than it used to be. There's a couple other fora I got to but one in particular seems obsessed with sub-100 dollar guitars. I'm not a cork sniffer but when people scoff at 2 or 3 hundred dollars as a lot of money for a guitar, I have a little problem relating to that.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

I get replies only if I ask a question about something. Then I've gotten a lot of good help, lot of knowledgeable folks there. They're just not as personal as we've become here.

I tried the Hofner forum, and it's dead, or almost. Too bad because I'd like to discuss Hofners more. I've had a little interaction there, and it was good. Otherwise, the mortician might have to be called in soon.

Indeed but but they seem to be much more responsive and active on the Facebook group than on the forum. Which is a pity, that forum used to be a very serious and resourceful place.

We've had several threads recently about this and the state of TFF. Rather than start yet another, I'm piggy-backing on yours, Sérgio, I hope you don't mind.

I made the decision today to "de-socialize" from another forum I've been a member of for nearly six years. It's not guitar-related, but that isn't the point. The point is that, like TFF, the site is ad-free and independently run. No dues or fees, just a labor of love, as it were.

The owner is the administrator and 90% of the time the moderator. Recently, he's experienced a health setback, which is not uncommon for those of us getting up in years. As a result, he's spending much more time on his forum, and it seems his physical condition is affecting his mental attitude.

I get it -- this is his "living room" and we're all guests. You can't just join, you have to be "approved." There are "house rules," and I'm okay with that. TFF has rules, moderators, owners, etc. The difference, in my opinion, is that TFF lets people come here to speak of things Fender related. Or not Fender related. This is "social" media, in that we come here -- especially in the time of COVID -- to joke, share recipes, and basically escape for a short while.

My thanks go out to Kenny F. and the mods for letting us go, for the most part. I've been a moderator on a pay site, and let me tell you, sites NEED moderation. They just don't need the owner traipsing about through every room in their house calling out guests left and right for what they say, how they say it, or if they include links to quotations, and so on. Micromanaging gets tiresome after a while.

And that's why I'm out of there. I won't be missed, so I'm not even saying good-bye. I'm just deleting my bookmark to the site and moving on. We've got it great here -- and I hope it stays that way!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

TFF Stage Crew

I've been here since the doors opened, & was asked to moderate shortly after that. Jeez, that's been awhile.
    I tried hanging out at the Gear Page, but it was just TOO big. Some threads are like a raindrop in the ocean, & others are like an avalanche of 20,30 pages or more. I simply don't have the time to sit & sift through all that.
    There have been some dust-ups & difficult people come through over the years, but overall it is a pretty cool place. A nice community of musicians who also share other interests

Forum Member

deleted
    Last edited by MGW-AB; 02-17-2021 at 09:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MGW-AB View Post
    I might possibly be an old curmudgeon myself. For the most part I have learned to scroll but occasionally I see something really, really, really stupid and respond with hard facts and no punches pulled.

As long as you do that in order to contribute to a thread with due knowledge, no problem.

What I really can’t stand is people who enter a thread and don’t make or answer any questions, their only effort consisting in being attention whores. You know, “hey, look at me, I’m old and sarchastic”.
    Last edited by S. Cane; 08-17-2020 at 11:24 AM.

A lot of us are getting old, and getting old is no excuse for bad behavior. I'd hate to run off younger players. It's not that i want to see this place expand. I'd love it though if we had active younger members who could give us a taste of what it's like to be a young player these days. I have connections to younger players, but around here, it's mostly metal and country. I guess I'm more interested in finding out what it's like for younger women and men out there on the scene.

I am not at all unhappy with the way things are here. I am really grateful to the mods and members past and present for giving me a community of guitar enthusiasts with whom to share my enthusiasm.

A lot of us are getting old, and getting old is no excuse for bad behavior. I'd hate to run off younger players. It's not that i want to see this place expand. I'd love it though if we had active younger members who could give us a taste of what it's like to be a young player these days. I have connections to younger players, but around here, it's mostly metal and country. I guess I'm more interested in finding out what it's like for younger women and men out there on the scene.

I am not at all unhappy with the way things are here. I am really grateful to the mods and members past and present for giving me a community of guitar enthusiasts with whom to share my enthusiasm.
    Yes, we don't usually see this here.

Forum Member

deleted
    Last edited by MGW-AB; 02-17-2021 at 09:43 AM.

I honestly can't say that I have seen that behaviour on the forums I have participated in.
    I have most definitely seen old geezers totally unload on somebody (and not in the good way) but it has always been in the act of addressing some clearly false statement or claim that purports to be truth and the recipient was absolutely well deserving of a brow beating. I freely admit I have sometimes thought the situation could have been handled a little more gently but I have never thought the situation did not need to be handled. When bullshit happens, there needs to be a response. Sometimes that response comes from me ... if I am first on the scene. My delivery might be more diplomatic than some but that doesn't mean I hold punches. Shitheads need to be put in their place and I make no excuses for that. I'm too old to put up with bullshit.

Like I said: as long as you’re actually saying something useful, you can say it however you like. If not, then it’s just more BS, regardless of who or how skilled you are. That’s my point.

Forum Member

deleted
    Last edited by MGW-AB; 02-17-2021 at 09:43 AM.

Again, I haven't seen that.
    I don't know what you're talking about.

Wait.
    Unless you're talking about troll posts.
    That's different.
    There are no age restrictions for trolls though.
    Young people troll just as well as geezers.

I never said anything about age restrictions, there are idiots of all ages. My first post in this thread mentions young and old. Luckily, we don’t see that behavior here. At least not often at all.