Thread: A seemingly stupid question

A seemingly stupid question

Basically here it is. If you could live anywhere, where would that be?

Re: A seemingly stupid question

The apartment I'm in now is kind of growing on me, if I could I'd love to live here by myself. I'd make this room my music room and the small room my bedroom. The porch would be my storage area and I'd have steps up to the living room window with a chair where I could sit and drink coffee and play guitar or surf the internet. I'd get my cat a little brother to play with.

Otherwise I'd like a house out in the Seacoast region, close enough to Dover, Portsmouth, Durham, Rochester for the music scene.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Timely question. I'm eyeing retirement and looking at where I want to move to. Right now Spain and Portugal are the top contenders. I love island life but only in measured doses. Thinking I'll keep a boat someplace like St. Barts too. The Maldives are interesting. Whatever the case, we'll be doing the ex-pat thing as the USA has become a bit exhausting and it's certain that huge tax increases will be forthcoming due to the recent cuts and the COVID pandemic.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

If my kids weren't settled down in the US, I'd already be living in Berlin, my fave city in Germany. I've spent a bit of time there, first time when the wall was falling. It's unlike any other German city I lived in; friendly, diverse, and just fascinating. 2nd choice would be Amsterdam. Lovely town and like Berlin, not as hectic as other big cities in Europe.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Like OA, this is a question I've been asking myself. I bought my current home three years ago thinking, "This is is - my permanent home." Yet, with all the furor, noise and discord going on, part of me wants to just get away where I can kick back, play guitar and enjoy myself when I retire.

A recent announcement by the island government of Barbados offering a one-year "remote worker" visa attracted me. It got me to thinking that maybe I don't need to wait to retire; maybe I can do what I do anywhere. Because I can!

So, I don't know if Barbados makes my list, but here are places I would certainly consider:

• Costa Rica. Just about anywhere, not just San Jose
    • Vienna, Austria
    • Chattanooga, Tennessee
    • Reykjavik, Iceland (but man, it can get cold!)

Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

I love our little house in south eastern Massachusetts, but would love to be even closer to the ocean, maybe somewhere where the winters are shorter. My wife is from Cape Breton Nova Scotia and would love to live there. It's an awesome place, and her family is there, but wouldn't give me shorter winters. She has worked from home for decades and could live anywhere that she has good internet access. I've been working from home for the past several months and love it, though I don't know if it'd be accepted for me to do it permanently.

TFF Stage Crew

"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people."
    Lol
    That's a tough one. After thinking about all my preferences & qualifications I think I'll probably just stay put for now.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    If my kids weren't settled down in the US, I'd already be living in Berlin, my fave city in Germany. I've spent a bit of time there, first time when the wall was falling. It's unlike any other German city I lived in; friendly, diverse, and just fascinating. 2nd choice would be Amsterdam. Lovely town and like Berlin, not as hectic as other big cities in Europe.
    I enjoyed my visit to Berlin, it's a fascinating city.

Here's a cell phone shot from the top of the dome on the reichstag building:

Perhaps we could bury the hatchet.

Vinyl, I'd love to bury the hatchet. Let's be kind to each other. I have nowhere near the knowledge you have about amps and such, and I think I could learn from you. I don't hold grudges--life is short.

I've been where you took the picture. I have a horrible fear of heights and just wanted to be back on the ground. Ha ha. Last time, I ran immediately across the street and sat down for a beer to steady me.

Thanks for that pic, Vinyl. Glad we can be nice to each other.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Up until the last few years I would have always said that I am living exactly where I wanted to be. I’ve owned this home for 28 years now. After traveling a lot during my military years, and 30 years of motorcycle trips all across the US and Canada it seemed like I had made the correct choice to live where I do in the US.

The garbage that has been going on in American politics for the last few years has really gotten me to wondering if I should have relocated to the country I had thought about moving to when getting out of the army.

I've had the opportunity to visit a lot of places. I lived in the Washington D.C. area for seven years. I've been living in Atlanta for the last 46 years.

The basic problem is all of the places have "cons", including where I live now.

I've been to Spain and Portugal, lovely places, I especially liked Costa del Sol and Barcelona.

I've been to England, Ireland and Scotland. I really liked the Cotswalds. and Edinburgh.

Germany, Austria, Switzerland. Berlin and Munich.

Moscow and Saint Petersburg. Too freaking cold.

High taxes, too much government regulation. Can't live off the "grid"

Guess I'm SOL.

Thanks for the replies.

Right now, I'm looking at Belize, but it's not promising. At least there's no language barrier.

Wow, Vinyl, I've been to a lot of those places, but I've never been to Russia. I read a lot of the old Russian literature, and I would love to see Moscow and St Petersburg. You've been to some other places I haven't been. Traveling can be so wonderful--gives us lots of stories if nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Wow, Vinyl, I've been to a lot of those places, but I've never been to Russia. I read a lot of the old Russian literature, and I would love to see Moscow and St Petersburg. You've been to some other places I haven't been. Traveling can be so wonderful--gives us lots of stories if nothing else.
    In my opinion, traveling is the best education to be had.

For now, I'm happy that baseball is coming back tonight. Maybe that will help solve my wanderlust for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by vinyl View Post
    Right now, I'm looking at Belize, but it's not promising. At least there's no language barrier.
    I visited Belize last year. Landed via cruise ship at the eastern port Belize City and took a bus cross-country to the Mayan ruins at Xunantunich (which was my goal). Overall, I don't think I'd be happy retiring there, although there has been some push for ex-pats to do so.

Costa Rica has a large English-speaking ex-pat community, including an entire Quaker sect, with dairies, agriculture, etc. The country has coasts both east and west, and mountains (and volcanoes) in the interior. It has the highest standard of living in Central America, and despite its neighbors having socio-political-economic issues (Nicaragua, Panama) and has a fascinating diversity of biology, ecology, and geography.

My youthful upbringing occurred in Vienna, Austria (which I also re-visited last year) and I attended college in Munich. The entire Bavarian region is stunningly gorgeous, but I fear the cost of living on a retirement income might be prohibitive. The same applies to Iceland.

@Laker echoed my thoughts. I really like the home and location where I currently live, and my family (daughter, SIL, grandkids) live a mere 30 minutes away. But I'm getting so tired of this "uncivil war" that's been brewing in this country over the past couple of decades. If the Muslims wanted to destroy us, they got a good start on 9/11...
    Striving to be ordinary

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    I visited Belize last year. Landed via cruise ship at the eastern port Belize City and took a bus cross-country to the Mayan ruins at Xunantunich (which was my goal). Overall, I don't think I'd be happy retiring there, although there has been some push for ex-pats to do so.

Costa Rica has a large English-speaking ex-pat community, including an entire Quaker sect, with dairies, agriculture, etc. The country has coasts both east and west, and mountains (and volcanoes) in the interior. It has the highest standard of living in Central America, and despite its neighbors having socio-political-economic issues (Nicaragua, Panama) and has a fascinating diversity of biology, ecology, and geography.

My youthful upbringing occurred in Vienna, Austria (which I also re-visited last year) and I attended college in Munich. The entire Bavarian region is stunningly gorgeous, but I fear the cost of living on a retirement income might be prohibitive. The same applies to Iceland.

@Laker echoed my thoughts. I really like the home and location where I currently live, and my family (daughter, SIL, grandkids) live a mere 30 minutes away. But I'm getting so tired of this "uncivil war" that's been brewing in this country over the past couple of decades. If the Muslims wanted to destroy us, they got a good start on 9/11...
    Thanks for the input OS, I admit that I'm more of a "mountain" guy than a "beach guy, and I've never been to Costa Rica.

I also agree that we have an "uncivil war" happening in this country. Things are really "nuts" here.

I'll look more carefully into Costa Rica.

Regards,

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by vinyl View Post
    Thanks for the input OS, I admit that I'm more of a "mountain" guy than a "beach guy, and I've never been to Costa Rica.
    So am I (I am "pitifully white" as I like to describe it - I don't tan in the sun, I burn!). I really enjoyed the "cloud forest" in Monteverde, and the town of La Fortuna at the foot of the Arenal Volcano is also quite vibrant. I'm not sure I'd be real keen at living that close to a live volcano (last erupted in 1968), though.
    Striving to be ordinary

although there were many places i wanted to visit in my youth (Egypt, Japan, Thailand, Cambodia/Vietnam (in spite of the war, there was much cultural things I wanted to check out), India ... you can probably tell I have much interest in Middle Eastern/Far Eastern countries ... I doubt very much if I'd ever want to live there. If money were no objection, I'd probably like to live in Hawaii. I think the climate would suit my bones just fine and they have world class observatories there. I've never been there so it's hard to say whether or not I'd like the culture.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

I'd love to live in the Rocky Mountains, on a lake full of trout. Colorado or Wyoming - maybe Montana. then again, a bass pond in my back yard would also do.

In reality, I've lived in my home town most of my life and still live within 2 miles of the house my dad built in 1948. I am a Bloomfield boy through and through and am living exactly where I want to be.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    I'd love to live in the Rocky Mountains, on a lake full of trout. Colorado or Wyoming - maybe Montana. then again, a bass pond in my back yard would also do.

In reality, I've lived in my home town most of my life and still live within 2 miles of the house my dad built in 1948. I am a Bloomfield boy through and through and am living exactly where I want to be.
    It has been my intent to move to Wyoming for the last 6 years. After we get some medical things settled (and if my stocks ever return to some semblance of sanity) we are going. Ever since seeing the Rockies as a kid I needed to be there. Something about zero humidity and wearing shorts when it is 40º and not dying of heat when its 100º appeals to me. Wyo has no income tax and (in most places) VERY low property taxes. The fishing and hunting appeal to me also. As a kid I wished for Montana but the inheritance laws are pretty freaking bizarre. South Dakota (also no income tax, but higher property tax than Wyo) is another possibility in the Black Hills region, but the property taxes are higher and the yearly dealing with the bikers is unappealing.

Brittany, France.

Absolutely stunningly beautiful. Super cheap to live. I speak the language (passably). Four hours to Paris by TGV.

California, Hawaii or Rio de Janeiro.

I love Rio, it is my all time favorite city. But it has too many contrasts, and it’s one of the most violent places in the whole world.

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    California, Hawaii or Rio de Janeiro.

I love Rio, it is my all time favorite city. But it has too many contrasts, and it’s one of the most violent places in the whole world.
    Sergio, obrigato for replying. Hawaii (the island) is a contender, but probably too expensive. California is a non-starter. Rio is very interesting but my main problem is the language barrier.

I'm 67 years old. I'm not really interested in learning a new language. I admit I know very few words in other languages and that makes me even more handicapped.

My main point is I've been to many places that I enjoyed visiting, but could I really afford to live there? Food, rent, taxes? assorted miscellaneous expenses? And does it make it worth moving? I'm a newbie here, so I'm trying to "feel" my way. I think other members may help. Regardless, I appreciate anything anyone has to say.

Regards,
    vinyl

P.S. I admit I got off to a bad start. I hope the other members will forgive me. I acted stupidly.

I've thought about this a lot since we started discussing it.

If I can stay in my house until I drop, I'll be happy. I'm not wealthy, but my house is a good one in a good, safe neighborhood. I have a nice lawn, privacy in my back yard, trees, bushes, etc.

I am not bragging, just making a point. I've lived in wonderful places abroad and in the states, and I've traveled to a lot of places, but when it comes down to it, I like my home, and I'm happy here.

Bill (vinyl), this discussion is germane to me as it seems to be for you. so I'm adding this for your consideration:

International Living, an organization that has been around since long before the Internet.

I find it a wealth of information. Just today, I read an article titled, "
    How I built my dream home in Playa Herradura, Costa Rica for under $100,000." I continue to be encouraged that life in retirement does not have to be ever-increasing taxes and fewer and fewer opportunities for living a comfortable life.

Currently, I'm looking at opportunities for full-time remote work. In my previous job, I worked from home, and the coronavirus has returned me to that situation, even if my employer would rather I work from an office. If I'm green-lighted for all remote work, I will seriously consider selling my home and moving. So, if you share your experience here with me/us, all of us will benefit.
    Striving to be ordinary

Thanks OS,

I retired a couple of years ago. At this point, I don't have much interest in trying to go back to work, but I wish you the best in that endeavor. It hasn't been too long and I suspect I could go back to work as a contractor. Basically, I think that would have diminishing returns. But that's not really what I want to do. I spent 38 years working for the same company, and they were good years, but I was working in the "field". None of that allowed much for playing, and now I just want to enjoy being home. To me, it was time to hang up my hat. Cancer left me with 8 weeks of radiation, 8 weeks of chemo, surgery, and an additional 20 weeks of chemo. Don't get me wrong I'm glad to be happy to be alive, but now I have not much feeling in my fingers and toes, and not having much feeling in my fingers makes it very hard to play guitar.

We all have our crosses to bear, and I wish you all the very best.

I probably won't be posting much in the near future. Unless it's something I can be of "direct help".