Thread: Labella Deep Talkin' Flats for my Ric

Labella Deep Talkin' Flats for my Ric

I've just gotten some Deep Talkin Labella Flats for the 4001.

I've been using rounds, which accentuate the highs. But I've got rounds on my P and J basses, so I figure the Ric and my Hofner can do the flat wound thing.

I'm excited about getting them on. Also going to remove the horseshoe cover so I can more easily dampen the strings when I play.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Labella Deep Talkin' Flats for my Ric

I have them on my Precision Bass with the Jazz bass neck. They're still quite new, I only put them on last fall and there's probably <30 hours on them. They're still a little zingy for flats and it's probably going to take me a good 5 or 6 more months to get them really broken in. But when I turn the tone knob down and I pick with the side of my index finger, through both the Acoustic mini-stack and my DAW, the lows are amazing. I can't imagine what it would sound like through an Ampeg V-4 or SVT. What cab do you have again?

muh thump maker

Last edited by DanTheBluesMan; 07-22-2020 at 01:08 PM.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

I've got an Ampeg Heritage 4x10 and the Ampeg V4B head. It can rumble guts but it can growl too.

I have to admit that I'm chasing Macca's tone on Wings Over America. I think he was using his Fender Bassman 100 head. But the Ampeg should get me in the ballpark. I've never heard another Ric sound like that live. And it sounds so much different from his studio work. I don't want to sound like McCartney out of my obvious hero worship, but I just like that sound he gets.

If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Man, those Labella flats have improved my Ric's tones 100%, and the Ric already sounded good.

In the meantime, I've found out that at the time of Wings Over America, his original pickup had died, and it was replaced by a high gain pickup, which partly explains why his Ric sounds different on WoA from all of the albums he played the Ric on.

I'm happy with my horseshoe and toaster pups. I don't need no stinkin' high gain pup!

Dan, I meant to say, I'm looking for a jazz neck to go on my Precision. I know I can find necks as good or better than Fender ones, but I'm waiting until I find an AmPro neck to put on my Precision. It'd be easy just to swap between my J and P basses, but I want my Jazz Bass to keep it's neck. I might wind up buying an AmPro Jazz specifically to swap necks with.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Dan, I meant to say, I'm looking for a jazz neck to go on my Precision. I know I can find necks as good or better than Fender ones, but I'm waiting until I find an AmPro neck to put on my Precision. It'd be easy just to swap between my J and P basses, but I want my Jazz Bass to keep it's neck. I might wind up buying an AmPro Jazz specifically to swap necks with.
    If you do that, I'll take the spare peices. I prefer the Jazz body and electronics, but I can't play the Jazz neck - Precision necks are way more comfortable for me.
    But I can't find that combo; most builders are using the 1.5" nut of the Jazz style. I had to build my own - Jazzx body with fretless P-neck. (yes, flatwoulds on there - I used Rotosounds.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Quote Originally Posted by jrgtr42 View Post
    If you do that, I'll take the spare peices. I prefer the Jazz body and electronics, but I can't play the Jazz neck - Precision necks are way more comfortable for me.
    But I can't find that combo; most builders are using the 1.5" nut of the Jazz style. I had to build my own - Jazzx body with fretless P-neck. (yes, flatwoulds on there - I used Rotosounds.
    Thanks, I'll keep the Precision neck with all the hardware in case I ever need to sell the bass or for some reason put it back on the bass.

And besides, I'm a lefty.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Thanks, I'll keep the Precision neck with all the hardware in case I ever need to sell the bass or for some reason put it back on the bass.

And besides, I'm a lefty.
    Lefty neck would be cool on a righty instrument ....
    ||I was mostly joking of course... I get it - put it back to stock if you want to sell.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

I put a righty neck on a lefty body once. I didn't like it at all. First, I missed the side dots, but most importantly, I couldn't get used to the tuners being where they were and the backwards directions for tuning. It did look cool. I still have the neck. One day, I might buy a body and try it again.