Thread: Help with Silverface Super Reverb chassis serial number

Forum Member

Help with Silverface Super Reverb chassis serial number

Hi everyone,

New member here, first post. And I'm already asking for help.

I'm thinking about buying what I believe to be a 1971 Silverface Super Reverb. As part of my due diligence I request photos showing all of the requisite verification points such as chassis serial, tube chart, transformers, speakers and pots.

Everything checks out EXCEPT the chassis serial. The chassis serial starts with "AS" instead of just "A", followed by the typical 5 numbers. I have a '71 Silverface Deluxe Reverb and a '65 Blackface Bassman head, both chassis serials start with "A" only.

I've checked all the online resources I know, called Fender customer support and today reached out to a few vintage guitar shops. So far no explanation.

Can anyone tell me if they've seen a legitimate Fender chassis serial that starts with "AS" or provide a logical explanation?

I attempted to provide a link to a photo of the serial number, not sure if it worked. Newbies!

Thanks much!

-G-

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=64914...%21140&o=OneUp

Re: Help with Silverface Super Reverb chassis serial number

For some reason I can't see the photo. I'm wondering then, could it be what you're reading as an "S" isn't really a "5?"
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Bartman, here's a link to a sticky note about how to post photos here. For some reason, the post looks messy in my browser, but all the info is there.

https://www.thefenderforum.com/forum...-Photos-on-TFF
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

Trying to post the photo again. It is an "S" for sure.

[IMG]https://i.postimg.cc/cJNwFKSZ/Chassis-Serial-Number.jpg[IMG]
    Last edited by Bartman; 07-21-2020 at 04:09 AM.

Forum Member

Thank you Don.

I now know why the photo wasn't showing in my posts. Tried to edit the post with the {IMG} tags at the beginning and end of the photo link but that doesn't work. I'll get it right the next time I post a photo.

Perhaps you could post some of the other pictures.

Sometimes there is an ink-stamped date inside the chassis. I don't remember when Fender discontinued that practice.

The only other observation I have is there is usually a "space" between the "A" and the number. The "S" occupies that space in your example. I don't think it necessarily means that it's bogus.

My opinion is that more pictures are needed for the members here to help you, if possible.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vinyl View Post
    Perhaps you could post some of the other pictures.

Sometimes there is an ink-stamped date inside the chassis. I don't remember when Fender discontinued that practice.

The only other observation I have is there is usually a "space" between the "A" and the number. The "S" occupies that space in your example. I don't think it necessarily means that it's bogus.

My opinion is that more pictures are needed for the members here to help you, if possible.
    Thank you very much. There is in fact an ink stamp date and name inside the chassis. IMO, that would be one of the easiest things to counterfeit with a custom ink stamp made at a print shop. I've attached that photo but my hang up is the chassis serial. Everything else checks out, transformers, pots, speakers all have the appropriate EIA markings so I am confident in that regard.

If I were looking at this amp solely as a players piece of gear, I wouldn't care. I am also looking at it for potential future vintage value. It is hard to believe that many Silverface amps are approaching or are already 50 years old! I don't think most collectors and vintage aficionados like anomalies unless they can be explained.

Curious if anyone has seen an "S" between the "A" and the numbers in the chassis serial number. This is a first for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartman View Post
    Thank you very much. There is in fact an ink stamp date and name inside the chassis. IMO, that would be one of the easiest things to counterfeit with a custom ink stamp made at a print shop. I've attached that photo but my hang up is the chassis serial. Everything else checks out, transformers, pots, speakers all have the appropriate EIA markings so I am confident in that regard.

If I were looking at this amp solely as a players piece of gear, I wouldn't care. I am also looking at it for potential future vintage value. It is hard to believe that many Silverface amps are approaching or are already 50 years old! I don't think most collectors and vintage aficionados like anomalies unless they can be explained.

Curious if anyone has seen an "S" between the "A" and the numbers in the chassis serial number. This is a first for me.

This amp has been modified. If you are looking for an investment, I would stick to blackface amps

The dead giveaways are the additional pot "tacked" onto the bias balance pot and the 2 bias filter capacitors. It may be a '71 amp but it has been "modified".

Unless you can get it for a steal, I'd steer clear of it. It will be a very long time before it's "collectible".

That's just my opinion. So-called "vintage Fender amps" are advertised every day on ebay, it doesn't mean they're worth the money asked.

Forum Member

This amp has been modified. If you are looking for an investment, I would stick to blackface amps

The dead giveaways are the additional pot "tacked" onto the bias balance pot and the 2 bias filter capacitors. It may be a '71 amp but it has been "modified".

Unless you can get it for a steal, I'd steer clear of it. It will be a very long time before it's "collectible".

That's just my opinion. So-called "vintage Fender amps" are advertised every day on ebay, it doesn't mean they're worth the money asked.
    Thanks very much for the solid input. I appreciate it.

The seller disclosed the addition of the bias pot tacked on to the balance pot. Good catch! Some mods can be undone, others leave scars. :-)

What would you consider a steal price for this amp? It is otherwise super clean. IMHO, almost too clean as the chassis looks polished to me. I was thinking the odd serial number might be due to a replaced chassis.

Thanks again!

-G-

I need to correct myself, Fender started using 2 capacitors beginning with the AA270 circuit, I thought it was later than that.

Is the chassis a replacement? Can't say for sure one way or another. There is documentation of the serial number "stamper" getting stuck on the same number on twin reverb/showman reverb amps, resulting in quite a few of those amps having the same serial number. Nothing about serial numbers with S in them. If it happened, I would think there would be more than 1 example out there. The silver face super reverb chassis was also used for bandmaster reverb amps.

Generally speaking, super clean amps will bring more money than one beat up, but I won't say what is a good price. I haven't been paying that much attention to prices for over a year, but there is a way to see what people actually paid on ebay.

Here's a link to a 6-part article about dating Fender amps by serial number by Greg Gugliano. This is part 6 but if you scroll to the bottom, the bibliography link will lead you to the other 5 parts.

http://www.ggjaguar.com/fendamp6.htm

Forum Member

I need to correct myself, Fender started using 2 capacitors beginning with the AA270 circuit, I thought it was later than that.

Is the chassis a replacement? Can't say for sure one way or another. There is documentation of the serial number "stamper" getting stuck on the same number on twin reverb/showman reverb amps, resulting in quite a few of those amps having the same serial number. Nothing about serial numbers with S in them. If it happened, I would think there would be more than 1 example out there. The silver face super reverb chassis was also used for bandmaster reverb amps.

Generally speaking, super clean amps will bring more money than one beat up, but I won't say what is a good price. I haven't been paying that much attention to prices for over a year, but there is a way to see what people actually paid on ebay.

Here's a link to a 6-part article about dating Fender amps by serial number by Greg Gugliano. This is part 6 but if you scroll to the bottom, the bibliography link will lead you to the other 5 parts.

http://www.ggjaguar.com/fendamp6.htm
    Thanks again. I read Greg's full article as part of my research before I posted here. Really great information.

I'm moving on from the amp. I had a Silverface Super Reverb when I was in high school, my first "quality" amp so it has a bit of meaning to me. I'll be patient, keep looking and hopefully find one at the right price or I may get lucky and find a reasonable Blackface Super as you suggested earlier. The joy is in the journey.... Thanks for your help!

-G-

I apologize for not being more help. Maybe some other members haven't seen Greg's articles, maybe not.

Forum Member

I apologize for not being more help. Maybe some other members haven't seen Greg's articles, maybe not.
    You've been very helpful and I appreciate it.

Your comments moved me away from making a potentially bad, emotionally driven decision and directed it more toward hard facts.

The GG article you linked is excellent and anyone who hasn't already read it could benefit from doing so. If I came off like I was "poo pooing" your help, I apologize. Not my intent. I tend to give very direct replies.

Again, I appreciate your input.

-G-

Quote Originally Posted by Bartman View Post
    You've been very helpful and I appreciate it.

Your comments moved me away from making a potentially bad, emotionally driven decision and directed it more toward hard facts.

The GG article you linked is excellent and anyone who hasn't already read it could benefit from doing so. If I came off like I was "poo pooing" your help, I apologize. Not my intent. I tend to give very direct replies.

Again, I appreciate your input.

-G-
    When all is done and said, some decisions are made with your heart, not your head. Not always a good move.

Rest assured, I take no offense from your replies.

Don't be a stranger.

vinyl