Thread: 1960 Duo-Sonic

Forum Member

1960 Duo-Sonic

Hello folks, new member here. Nice site, lots of information to be sure. Thought to join and dig around, ask some questions, see what shakes out.

So from the back of a closet I dug out my serial number 41050 Duo-Sonic from my early teen years bought in '71 from a pawn shop. Wow, glad I hung onto it as the pick ups alone sell for chaaching! Anyway, it's in pieces and like a dummy I refinished it back then to something dumb. I want to restore it and play on it again. Some work I will farm out to a pro like the neck etc. but other work I can surely do. A rep at Fender pointed me to a possible source for paint and I'm going to need a few other minor things.

If anyone has any input about a project like this why, I'm all ears. Links to parts etc. Like them tiny little rubber busihngs that go between the pickups and the pick guard LOL! Or, or or...what is the dam value of the cap that is across one of the pots here? Hmmmmmm

Be safe out there now!
    Last edited by LiteSync; 07-18-2020 at 01:20 PM.

Re: 1960 Duo-Sonic

THat sounds like a fun project! Many of the parts are available from a number of online sources. I get a lot of small items from Philadelphia Luthier Tools & Supplies. They have the rubber tubing that you are looking for (though I prefer to use metal springs).

that sounds like a nice project, take some before, during and after pictures, please.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

TFF Stage Crew

I went through a Musicmaster phase a few years back because Duo Sonics were too expensive, lol
    I foolishly sold an excellent condition '64 Sunburst model for about $400. You couldn't touch it for less than $1200 today.
    You can probably source some trad-style aftermarket colors online, but DuPont no longer makes nitro or acrylic lacquers

Quote Originally Posted by Cogs View Post
    I went through a Musicmaster phase a few years back because Duo Sonics were too expensive, lol
    I foolishly sold an excellent condition '64 Sunburst model for about $400. You couldn't touch it for less than $1200 today.
    You can probably source some trad-style aftermarket colors online, but DuPont no longer makes nitro or acrylic lacquers
    there's an ebay seller with nitrocellulose in many traditional fender colors. I went to order some ocean turquoise metallic but they just sold their last can. I had actually changed my mind and got some tinted clear for a neck finishing project instead. Even swap.

madisonmusicstore on ebay, selling Gracey's nitro

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    THat sounds like a fun project! Many of the parts are available from a number of online sources. I get a lot of small items from Philadelphia Luthier Tools & Supplies. They have the rubber tubing that you are looking for (though I prefer to use metal springs).
    I would LOVE any links you may have in your book marks.

Thanks for responding everyone. So far it's coming along well. Many of the metal parts went in my stainless steel pin wet media tumbler that I use for bullet brass cleaning. The parts come out like BLINDING clean in every nook and cranny...very kewl. Next week the neck goes to a pro for a complete assessment of needs. Found the OEM paint on line too. I am beyond excited to play this again and transport myself back to a time long ago... (hmmm gotta scrape up a lil practice amp.)

Quote Originally Posted by LiteSync View Post
    I would LOVE any links you may have in your book marks.

Thanks for responding everyone. So far it's coming along well. Many of the metal parts went in my stainless steel pin wet media tumbler that I use for bullet brass cleaning. The parts come out like BLINDING clean in every nook and cranny...very kewl. Next week the neck goes to a pro for a complete assessment of needs. Found the OEM paint on line too. I am beyond excited to play this again and transport myself back to a time long ago... (hmmm gotta scrape up a lil practice amp.)
    here's your practice amp