Thread: The watch thread

The watch thread

are you into wristwatches? Or pocket watches, for what it's worth.

I’ve always been a Casio man. Since before G-Shocks first appeared. My old man was a skilled woodsman, hunter and diver, and he’d always wear Casios. Of course, not from the beginning but when I was born, back in the 70s, I’d inherit his nearly-dead Casios everytime he had to get a new one. I loved those well worn real deal watches.

Still wear Casios to this day, my main daily dressers being the G-Shocks, as I’m sort of an adventurer.

Three things I never leave home without: my Casio DW-5600 (the older ones got lost or overworn), my Zippo lighter and my Victorinox Swisschamp.

I even wear it to work (I'm a lawyer):

Since I do a lot of hiking and trekking when I ain’t gigging with my guitars, I just got myself a Master of G Mudman, which I’ll post as soon as it gets here. It has a compass and the Tough Solar power feature, which is definitely an improvement...

Yes, I’m old schooled and practical regarding watches, having owned a Rolex Submariner once and having sold it due to not understanding having so much cash into a wristwatch, when my casios can withstand the apocalypse and still stand for a fraction of the price.

Re: The watch thread

lordy, I haven't worn a watch since about 1976 and i still have a slightly bald patch on my left arm. Only in very recent years has it nearly gone away.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

I wore a watch until the mid 90s. Nice ones, but not Rolex nice by a longshot. Once cell phones got "smarter', I no longer wore a watch. my son still does at times. Had a pocket watch too that I wore at my job as head teller at a bank in the mid 80s.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I love watches. I own around 16 that work. I don't have anything too fancy - the "flashiest" is a Seiko Gold colored watch that looks a lot more expensive than it really cost. I have a few Android watches that are pretty cool, too.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

I almost always wear the Timex Iron Man series. Velcro bands in case fishing line with something that can pull you overboard gets tangled in it, and they stand up well to salt water. Purely a functionality decision and not a fashion statement. When I fly I use a Seiko analog because I need a sweep second hand backup for holding patterns and instrument approaches. Again, purely function over form. When your life can depend on your watch you don't buy jewelry.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

For the last 24 years I’ve been wearing a gold and stainless Rolex Datejust that my wife gave me as a Christmas gift. She had wanted to give it to me for my 50th birthday while we were running the Key West Poker Run on our Harley but was afraid it might get lost if we had a an accident during our time on the road so it became a Christmas gift.

Since 2016 I've worn an Apple Watch. I'm on my second. In my younger years I was into fancy dress watches and wore a Must de Cartier. However, it broke and Cartier refused to honor its "lifetime warranty." It got stolen by movers. I inherited my father's 1968 Omega Dynamique, a self-winder, but just cleaning it cost me about $400, so I put it away.

Before I got my Apple Watch, I was wearing a variety of Timex watches, which I still have in a drawer. My thinking then was that if one broke or the battery died, I'd just buy another watch!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

I don't wear a watch anymore, but when I did it was an analog Seiko diver watch. I've had this watch for at least 20 years. I like the functionality and look.

I have a nice Seiko 5 Automatic that a former girlfriend bought for me 30 some years ago. Still have it but the band doesn't fit my wrist anymore. Been meaning to get it replaced for years now.

When I was racing bicycles, I had a range of plastic sports watches, Timex and the like. Wore those types of watches for years. Then went matchless for about 10 years.

About a year ago, I started working in a secure facility and we're allowed to carry in any mobile devices into the Secure Zone. I normally use my phone to check the time. So I went and bought a nice plain jane Timex analog watch with a leather strap. This was about two weeks before COVID hit. Since I've been working from home, I haven't worn a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    are you into wristwatches? Or pocket watches, for what it's worth.

I’ve always been a Casio man. Since before G-Shocks first appeared. My old man was a skilled woodsman, hunter and diver, and he’d always wear Casios. Of course, not from the beginning but when I was born, back in the 70s, I’d inherit his nearly-dead Casios everytime he had to get a new one. I loved those well worn real deal watches.

Still wear Casios to this day, my main daily dressers being the G-Shocks, as I’m sort of an adventurer.

Three things I never leave home without: my Casio DW-5600 (the older ones got lost or overworn), my Zippo lighter and my Victorinox Swisschamp.

I even wear it to work (I'm a lawyer):

Since I do a lot of hiking and trekking when I ain’t gigging with my guitars, I just got myself a Master of G Mudman, which I’ll post as soon as it gets here. It has a compass and the Tough Solar power feature, which is definitely an improvement...

Yes, I’m old schooled and practical regarding watches, having owned a Rolex Submariner once and having sold it due to not understanding having so much cash into a wristwatch, when my casios can withstand the apocalypse and still stand for a fraction of the price.
    Michael Schumacher used to use a Casio watch in his F1 car!

I'd forgotten but just saw in my chest of drawers a Seiko and a Swatch. Batteries, and I'd be good to go. Got me thinking.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Speaking of batteries, this thread made me pull out my watch and the battery was dead! I opened the watch and saw that the battery had leaked very slightly. Thanks to Sergio's thread, there was no damage and I cleaned it up, but be warned- I had a nice watch that was destroyed by a leaking battery

CHECK THE BATTERY IN YOUR OLD WATCHES!!!

Here's most of mine...

"We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Damn, Gibsonjunkie! Not only do you have an impressive set of guitars, now you've got a good bunch of watches!

I'm defintely into watches, though I don't have a really good one now.
    My everyday is a Seiko, plus I have a Timex Expedition for weekends, running / cycling etc.
    If I had my choice, there's a company called Vortic Watch Co, that takes old pocket watches, like early 1900's era, from the big American companies like Waltham, Elgin, Illinois, and so on, and rebuilds them into wristwatches. They're not cheap, obviously, but the history is super cool.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Do any of you have a Waterbury watch? Waterbury, Connecticut made watches that are mentioned in literature from the turn of the century (19th-20th). James Joyce talks about one in either Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man or Ulysses. When I did my MA at UConn, I took a trip to Waterbury, just to see it.

I've heard that old Waterbury made watches are prized.

Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

The Three Stooges can make the same joke over and over, but I don't care. I love them. Moe Howard was a genius.

oooooo, woise guy, uh? nyuck nyuck nyuck woo woo woo wooo wooo
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Forum Member

I couldn't wear watches until I was in my 20's, they would just stop. Once I took them off they would run again! My grandmother bought me a "dollar" pocket watch, and I carried it for years until a horse reared up and fell on me. My wife and her family gave me a Bulova while I was deployed for Christmas 1969, and I still wear it once in a while. In the 80's and 90's I had to have the digital, but by the late 90's, they were getting harder to see. I complained to my old friend Pete, and he showed me the Timex he was wearing. A few days later he gave me one, yeah I still wear it! I have replaced the battery a few times, but looking at it now, it's only half a minute slow from my computer time!

The last go around with a watch::

I kept hearing a noise in my pickups, a kind of click.

On another forum, I think, a guy said, do you wear a watch?

I was so used to having one on my arm, I hadn't even thought of that. And that was it. I pick with my left hand, and that's the arm with my watch.

A quick update... Hadn’t posted my new Mudman... I am really enjoying it.

It’s an older model but I like how it has all the Master of G features except the automatic adjusting, which anyway wouldn’t work here in South America.

I already wore it to a few hiking trips. Pretty cool.

I’m definitely gonna collect these.
    Last edited by S. Cane; 08-30-2020 at 09:44 AM.