Thread: Looking for opinions on a vintage Pro Reverb purchase

Forum Member

Looking for opinions on a vintage Pro Reverb purchase

I'm in the market for a vintage Pro Reverb. There are two available locally (a 66' blackface and a 72' silverface). I'll use this at home primarily and then play out with it once clubs start to open up again. I like the low-ish wattage of these and I hear they break up nicely (I'm playing a Gibson junior reissue with p90s and mostly playing rocknroll like Social Distortion). I'm new to these amps and buying vintage in general so any help would be appreciated in figuring out whats the best deal. Here are the posts of the two amps... FYI I havent heard either one in-person yet...

#1: 1966 Fender Pro Reverb - $2000
    All Original. Exc Cond. Casters. Foot switch. sounds great
    I called the guy and he's had it for 10 years. Never had it serviced and it still had the two prong cord. Its at the top of my budget but he said he'll negotiate a bit.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/msg...152055116.html

#2: 1972 Fender Pro Reverb - $1100
    Excellent condition 1972 vintage Fender silverface Pro Reverb 2x12 guitar combo amp. Handwired, All Tube, Original (no mods. Includes original speakers). Newly Serviced. New Tubes.
    Early silverface non-master volume version (sounds similar to blackface). Comes with slipcover, original foot switch, and casters. Sounds amazing!
    https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/msg...157466928.html

Thanks for the help!

Re: Looking for opinions on a vintage Pro Reverb purchase

I'd grab that silverface in a heartbeat.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Forum Member

Re: Looking for opinions on a vintage Pro Reverb purchase

I have had several ('64, '72, and currently '70), & I think you should try before you buy. I obviously love Pro Reverbs, but I don't think your description fits stock Pro's. Stock, they sound great, but aren't exactly quiet (45 watts), and stay very clean most of the way up the dial. Such a great clean, that steel guitar players love them. However, if you, or someone you know can mod amps, they are the perfect amp for the mods that can make it do what you want. My drummer was an amp tech when going to school for electronics in the 70s, and modded mine to sound fairly Dumble-y when pushed at a reasonable volume. From what I understand, the mods are all over the inter webs for this amp. You can, however, use pedals.
    If you want something stock to break up fairly early, you may want to look at a Deluxe Reverb, or something with a master volume. I currently gig with a Morgan Dual 20 at clubs, & use the Pro Reverb for outdoor gigs.
    Just my opinion, others may have different experiences