Thread: Logic Pro Hacks

Logic Pro Hacks

I know there is plenty of information on youtube, must be a lot of sites dedicated to Logic tricks.

I'm starting to use Logic now, and I know a lot of you have substantial information.

Perhaps you guys could post little tricks--not really looking for a repeat of their user's manual. I'm more interested in the specific things you're recording and any Logic tips you might have to offer from your actual recordings.

Just a thought!
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Logic Pro Hacks

Years ago, I took free Garageband classes at GC. Do they have something like that for Logic Pro?

Hard to convey that in a post here. My Logic skills took a quantum leap after watching Jono Buchanan’s Logic Masterclass on YouTube. Two lengthy videos but well worth the effort. I can’t post a link at the moment but search YouTube for Logic Masterclass Guildhall.

But one of the things I picked up was putting processing on parallel aux channels rather than loading up FX and VSTs on a particular channel. Not sure if it increases or decreases processing loads but was definitely easier to tweak when mixing. There was a Sound On Sound article that documented that. I’ll send along a link when I’m back on Wifi.

Here's some links to the stuff I mentioned above

Logic Pro Masterclass Part 1.

https://youtu.be/sqm8Q3jlNVI

Logic Pro Masterclass Part 2.

https://youtu.be/gZfA4c6GCwM

Sound on Sound article - the aux buss/parallel processing stuff is addressed in the Lead Vocal Treatment section. Not Logic specific, but you can apply the principles in the same way.

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/stage-studio

Thanks, Dirtdog, I'll check that out.

I don't mean instruction as much as the different features or items you have used on a track or are using.

I don't know if I'm articulating this correctly. It's 96 degrees here, and I think my frontal lobes are broiling....
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

after much fumbling around, I seem to have stumbled upon a process which works for me.

I assume the first two busses are being used for the output so I skip them. I could be wrong but I'm not taking any chances. I open a new track (note in my images it says "input 2", that's because the input 1 on my audio interface is lunched. I think it either got toasted or more likely the contacts are corroded from being plugged into 24/7. I now unplug all my cables when I finish a session. At some point I have a contact srubber plug that I hope will remedy that input's conundrum.) Let's just pretend it's "Input 1" on your AI

For output, I go to "Bus 3" and hit "create"

"Live and learn and flip the burns"

that gives you this screen

Last edited by DanTheBluesMan; 07-16-2020 at 09:55 PM.

next, I click on the sliders icon

that gets me this screen

Last edited by DanTheBluesMan; 07-16-2020 at 10:15 PM.

then I click on the box above the slider for the aux channel and highlight it

enter "-3" in this box

now the output from the audio track 1 is attenuated 3db going to the stereo output. when I recorded a bunch of audio tracks, I was having to play around with the sliders to keep my stereo output from getting overloaded. When I send my audio track to an aux channel and attenuate it 3 db right off the bat, I can stack up a slew of audio tracks and not over load my stereo out and I don't have to futz around with the sliders nearly as much, if at all.

screen shot of a recent session I did

I put down two tracks with one guitar, switched to another guitar. The first track with that guitar was a little hotter than I wanted, I forgot to reset the input gain on the audio interface, I corrected that with the fourth track. Having the aux channels down -3 really helped keep the levels under control. I didn't even need to use compression or limiting.

by the way, i sub grouped the four guitar tracks into an aux channel, put a hi pass EQ on it to make room for the bass track I'm going to add. With all the guitars on one fader I can balance the guitars and bass much more easily. I hope

Another trick was to first do a lo pass EQ on the guitar tracks until nearly all the sound went away. that was around 238 hz. I then closed the lo pass and put the hi pass at that frequency. When I track the bass, I'll set the EQ to lo pass at that freqency. I did this with a single guitar and single bass and it worked really well.

Wish I knew a lot more about drums. I'm kind of doing this all backwards. Guitars, then bass, then drums. Gotta go with your strengths and learn new stuff and add it as you go.

That's great stuff, Dan. I'm sure it'll be a help to me. Got in my 34" Ultra Wide monitor, Logic downloaded, ready to start setting up this weekend.

Dan, my mailbox is either full or the other person's is, so I hope you see this.

I'm trying to find a drum beat, something in 3/4 time that would be suitable for say a French chanson. Almost but not quite so strictly a waltz. I started exploring different drum kits etc but I just got lost in more modern drum tracks or genres unsuitable for what I want. I really want a simple beat, something unobtrusive.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Dan, my mailbox is either full or the other person's is, so I hope you see this.

I'm trying to find a drum beat, something in 3/4 time that would be suitable for say a French chanson. Almost but not quite so strictly a waltz. I started exploring different drum kits etc but I just got lost in more modern drum tracks or genres unsuitable for what I want. I really want a simple beat, something unobtrusive.
    Willie,

Set the time signature to 3/4, set the BPM and enable the metronome function. Create a loop recording 1 or two or however many measures you want on a channel for a Logic virtual instrument. Select a virtual drum kit and using either your computer keyboard or better yet a USB piano-style keyboard like an M-Audio Key Rig start recording your drums while loop recording. When it sounds right you save the loop and then drag it out as many measures as needed. This way is tons faster and easier than trying to find that perfect loop from a library, which usually never happens.

After a little practice you'll get good at it, and you can use multiple drum tracks for complex rhythms.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Chuck,

I probably know less about keyboards than I do about drums, which is almost like dividing by 0. I googled M-Audio keyrig and these things were huge desktop space gobbling things. I'm not sure if I want to lose that much real estate. Also everything I saw was out of stock. Covid shut-ins bought them all?

any recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Willie,

Set the time signature to 3/4, set the BPM and enable the metronome function. Create a loop recording 1 or two or however many measures you want on a channel for a Logic virtual instrument. Select a virtual drum kit and using either your computer keyboard or better yet a USB piano-style keyboard like an M-Audio Key Rig start recording your drums while loop recording. When it sounds right you save the loop and then drag it out as many measures as needed. This way is tons faster and easier than trying to find that perfect loop from a library, which usually never happens.

After a little practice you'll get good at it, and you can use multiple drum tracks for complex rhythms.

Chuck

Another vote for a small USB MIDI keyboard controller - has all kinds of utility in Logic (or any other DAW for that matter). Left index finger = kick. Right index finger = snare. Or that's how I do it anyways.

Logic's virtual drummer is worth exploring here as well. Go to "Track | Add New Drummer Track" once you've set your time signature and tempo, Logic does some of lifting to get you close to what you need. When you select that track and activator the track's Edit window (scissor icon), you get access to all kinds of parameters - drummer style, drum kit, drum "feel" (try "quiet" and "simple" for your track). Add or remove certain percussion. This will take some experimentation to get what you feel is right. Cool thing with this feature is you can then convert the drummer track to MIDI and have that locked in (and/or edit it in the MIDI editing window).

Failing that, do what OS says - signature and tempo setting - and then maybe just record handclaps/hand taps with your mic with the feel you want. Or fake it with your voice - as a scratch track anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    Chuck,

I probably know less about keyboards than I do about drums, which is almost like dividing by 0. I googled M-Audio keyrig and these things were huge desktop space gobbling things. I'm not sure if I want to lose that much real estate. Also everything I saw was out of stock. Covid shut-ins bought them all?

any recommendations?
    Dan, I've got a few - a large 49 key, a 25 key and a 25 key with mini/slim keys (Novation LaunchKey Mini). I end up using the Novation Mini the most due to it's small form factor. I keep it plugged in all the time so its there when the muse strikes. In Logic, this unit is automatically recognized as an input (MIDI over USB) on a Software Instrument track. Once the track is activated, a software instrument is selected, just hit a key and you'll hear something.

The Novation is fairly small, relatively inexpensive and also has the added bonus of those colourful MPC type pads - ideal for drumming! I've taken three piano lessons in my life, know where middle C is and can make a few simple major and minor chords if I look them up - certainly no keyboard wizard. But if you can use an ATM, you can use one of these. You don't need music theory/keyboard training to make use of this as a virtual drum machine.

@ch_willie - one more thing - were you messing around with Logic's built in loops for drum beats? Granted, there's only limited stuff in 3/4 time, but that's another option.

duplicate post

yeah, Dirtdog, I've been trying that. I found something close but no cigar.

Thanks, everybody, for the advice. That's going to help me a lot. Gosh, this place and you folks are wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    Chuck,

any recommendations?
    Dividing by zero results in infinite knowledge, so you should be good.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I have an Nektar Impact GX49 that was around $100 and works great. Power is off of USB so it doesn't even need an adapter.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

I've decided to record the drums from a drum machine. I'm eager to get down a take of the song, and if I can record it like I hear it, the drums will disappear altogether and replaced by sparce, orchestral percussion, which I can do on my Korg Kross 88.

I

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    Dan, I've got a few - a large 49 key, a 25 key and a 25 key with mini/slim keys (Novation LaunchKey Mini). I end up using the Novation Mini the most due to it's small form factor. I keep it plugged in all the time so its there when the muse strikes. In Logic, this unit is automatically recognized as an input (MIDI over USB) on a Software Instrument track. Once the track is activated, a software instrument is selected, just hit a key and you'll hear something.

The Novation is fairly small, relatively inexpensive and also has the added bonus of those colourful MPC type pads - ideal for drumming! I've taken three piano lessons in my life, know where middle C is and can make a few simple major and minor chords if I look them up - certainly no keyboard wizard. But if you can use an ATM, you can use one of these. You don't need music theory/keyboard training to make use of this as a virtual drum machine.
    I spent a couple hours looking up these (and others), going to check out any labor day sales. I'm getting to the point where I really want to get a better grasp on drums than just what's on the library loops because I'm not finding what I want. Plus being able to lay down some keys would be a definite plus as I'm getting more edujumacated about this theory stuff

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I've decided to record the drums from a drum machine. I'm eager to get down a take of the song, and if I can record it like I hear it, the drums will disappear altogether and replaced by sparce, orchestral percussion, which I can do on my Korg Kross 88.

I

Good plan!

Reminds me of when I started doing this back in the day; I’d program some beats in FruityLoops, bring that into the DAW, record other parts and then delete.

there’s no wrong way of creating!

I've gotten the best drums, computer or machine, from my Alesis16. Default stuff is horrible. Good lord, it's a box full of 80s war crimes. But I choose a different kit and set wot-ever to get what I want. There's one setting close to Mick Fleetwood's sound. I've always loved how his drums sound when there's no echo, and you can hear the flat thud of the bass drum. Damn his drumming is a bass player's wet dream.