I have a '98 Fender AmDlx Strat that came stock with Fender's then new Vintage Noiseless (VN) pickups. I had the guitar modded when I bought it so that the controls are set up as follows: 500k push-pull master volume pot with treble bleed capacitor, 1 Meg pot for bridge pup tone, and 1 meg pot for middle/neck pup tone. The push-pull pot on the volume knob is an override switch to turn on the bridge PUP so I can add two additional pup combinations: bridge + Neck, as well as all three pups on at once. The push-pull pot is on the volume knob instead of one of the tone knobs because the luthier that installed it did not have 1 meg push-pull pots on-hand. He did have 500k on-hand and Fender's spec for the VNs is a 500k volume pot with treble bleed, plus two 1 meg tone pots.

I do not like the fact that, when the volume pot is pulled up to engage the bridge pup override, it interferes with my picking, so I recently bought a 500k Fender S-1 switch to replace it (S-1 had not yet been released when I had the push-pull pot installed).

When the S-1 is installed, I would also like to set it up either as a dedicated bridge pup volume or a bridge + middle pup volume control and move the current 500k push-pull volume pot to the middle knob position and set it up as a separate volume control for either the neck or neck + middle pups. This will give me independent volume control over the bridge and neck/middle pups. The S-1 would retain my current bridge pup on override feature, while the 500k push-pull on the 2nd volume knob will be used to add Mustang like out-of-phase tones to my Stat. The 1 Meg push-pull would go in the farthest position as a master tone control. I would like to do this because I find that, with my Les Paul, which has independent volume and tone controls for each pup, I utilize the volume controls much more frequently than the tone knobs and I pretty much never ramp down the tone control on my Strat neck or middle pickups-they are almost always set full up. This mod would also enable me to do that toggle switch volume cut-off/stutter trick on my Strat.

I know that everything I have wrote about so far is possible, but have another idea I would like to ask about?

I do tend to roll back the tone on my Strat bridge pup slightly to tame those sometimes shrill/harsh Strat bridge pup tones. With a master tone control, this will roll back the highs on my neck and middle pup as well. Therefore, I am wondering if I could wire my Strat so that the lone tone knob normally only acts on the bridge pup? This way, I could roll back the highs on my bridge pup, but when I switch to the neck pup, tone would be unattenuated. For those rare instances when I would like to roll back the tone on the neck or middle pup, I would use the 1 meg push pull pot to convert it to a master tone knob; i.e, when push-pull is down, bridge tone control only, when pulled up it would bring the neck and middle pups back into the circuit as a master tone control.

Does this sound possible or could this independent volume functionality be achieved in a different manner that does not involve permanent modifications to my guitar or dual concentric knobs (I want to retain that classic Strat look)?

What are some potential pitfalls that I have not considered?

Should I set it up so one volume knob controls Bridge+middle and the other controls neck or would it be better if one controlled bridge and the other middle+neck? Alternately, one volume could control Bridge+Neck, while the other controls only middle.