Thread: This is NOT the Sunday Thread for July 5, 2020

This is NOT the Sunday Thread for July 5, 2020

Just kidding. Yes, it is.

I ran a virtual 5K yesterday in support of the U. S. O. and two days straight of heat, humidity and effort brought me to a Sunday where I plan to just take it easy. Another sweltering day in the forecast, and today I'm staying in.

Of course, that's always a dangerous thing, as I spend way too much time on the web, and that usually co$t$ me when I starting looking a guitars 'n' stuff!

I bought at a discount a three hour train ride ticket on The Potomac Eagle, a tour through bald eagle country, along the Potomac River. A two hour drive in each direction makes this a day trip for me. I thought of going this weekend, but wanted to see if my family had any July 4th plans (they didn't). But the ticket is valid through September, so when I really need to escape the COVID-19 house arrest, I'll call and reserve a seat.

Re: This is NOT the Sunday Thread for July 5, 2020

Had a great time with my kids yesterday, and they had a good time, but they're spoiled 26 and 29 year olds. My son snapped at my daughter once (not harshly), and I threatened to make him hug her and sing the Barney song, "I love you, you love me, we are one big family", and I threatened them both with the time out corner.

That doesn't have the effect it did 20 years ago.

We had fun though and great food. I just bought my first gas grill, and man, I'll miss the charcoal taste, but I'll never cook with charcoal again. God garsch we grilled slabs of the biggest zucchinis I've ever seen, red onions, brats, and hamburgers. Best 4th burgers we all agreed that we'd ever had.

My daughter brought her great dane and a roommate's lab puppy. No fights, no growls, no snaps--these three male dogs of different ages played so gently with each other, wild but sweet.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

My son went drifting for the first time yesterday and it did not go well! The car was running perfect then suddenly shut off. A fuse was blown. A failed oxygen sensor looked like a ground to the chassis and took a while to diagnose then another 45 minutes to get the part. After that the car ran very poorly. I think poking around to diagnose it might've made things worse. Then the AC in his Escalade failed. A rear AC line rubbed through where it passed by a chassis component. He's "repairing" that now so he can go camping.

I'm going to watch the Formula 1 race in 15 minutes!

Happy Sunday, This weekend has been two more days of the same (not much), but I'm learning to adjust. Friday was cool, though. I got a text from our old friend TeleBob/Telenator and he asked me if I'd help him shoot a video for a product he's selling - check it out - it's hilarious- and he actually sells these bad boys! https://chruler.com/.

I drove up to the Berkshires to visit and hang out on Friday. He lives a few miles off the Mohawk Trail so the drive out was a blast. Sadly, there were a bunch of slowpokes cruising around, so I didn't get to open up the Mustang too much on the way out. (the way back was a different story I think I drove 20 miles without seeing one other car in my lane). He lives out it the middle of nowhere - not even cell service! It poured rain so we never shot the video, and we never picked up a guitar, but had a blast just talking and discussing everything but politics. It was good to catch up with him.

I also had to run down to Orange, CT to drop off my Roland Keyboard. I've been trying to work on some of my "keyboard songs" and when I switched it on, the sound output was extremely low. There are a couple bad capacitors that need to be replaced. The guy came highly recommended so hopefully I'll get that back soon and start working on the tunes.

Yesterday I cleaned out under the kitchen sink. I'm getting a new faucet to review so I wanted to make sure I could fit under the sink to install it. It's one of those fancy Delta faucets with the touch spout and with a small adapter I can use Alexa to operate it (I love new toys). I need to run an always-on plug so it can be powered (it has a battery pack, but that's so '80's). There is a switched single outlet under there for the disposal so I just need to figure out how to change to a duplex and wire one switched and one live. That will be my project today.

We have been talking about returning to our office, but the sewer backed up and trashed the carpets, so we're waiting for that to be replaced - probably a couple more weeks.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Forum Member

We're at my daughter's house in TorC. Her birthday, and great granddaughter's birthday is the 4th Lots of good food, plenty of beer, sure fun seeing the kids. They spent a fortune on fireworks, also had some really cool mortars, the daughter's boyftiend built a 4 tube launcher.
    My granddaughter brought me a new grill, combination gas, charcoal, and an add on smoker, My old grill needs rebuilding, now I won't have to!

I've been a walking fool this past week, averaging 5.7 miles a day. Just got back from a 4.8 mile walk after a nice continental breakfast at JaJaBelle's coffee and bakery. We've had pretty decent weather, albeit with some much needed rain. I did a lot of walking between showers.

Darn shame last night didn't have any municipal fireworks, although the citizenry tried mightily to make up for it. I had an early dinner and a couple brews, went back to my apartment and never got back out. Old man fell asleep early. Just as well, I woke up feeling great.

Tomorrow, fingers crossed, we dot the I's and cross the T's on the sales paper for the family home. 24 hours from now, it will hopefully be a done deal. It will be such a relief.

I spent some time at the storage area yesterday, gauging the amount of stuff I have there. I'm psyched to get my stuff set up here finally. Then there is the sorting of the house stuff, primarily getting rid of the 3 dozen or so boxes of paperwork my parents accumulated since 1953.

I'm looking forward to a very busy and productive July, finally paying attention to my stuff for a change.

Incidentally, last night I noticed that I have not been hearing the constant activity from the neighbors upstairs. My brother thinks they were working out and this week the gyms reopened. I'd like to think they just moved out since it's the first week of a new month. I can't imagine anybody working out that much, it was 4, 5 hours at a time and well past 10 PM which to me reeks of utter lack of consideration for anybody else.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Forum Member

This is my first post here in many years. Dont look at the LPF much these days, and had forgotten I signed up on FF roundabout when it first came online. I saw the old FDP died awhile back. Hope ya’all had a good 4th. We’re blessed to be Americans.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiggs View Post
    This is my first post here in many years. Dont look at the LPF much these days, and had forgotten I signed up on FF roundabout when it first came online. I saw the old FDP died awhile back. Hope ya’all had a good 4th. We’re blessed to be Americans.
    Glad to have you (back) with us. Four posts in 18 years??? Hey, please feel free to add a few more than that over the next 18, OK?

Another lather-rinse-repeat weekend. Lazing, mountain biking, motorcycling, beer drinking and grilling. We had our national holiday on July 1 so a short week last week. Not much guitaring/bassing but playing around with my Repro-1 and Repro-5 synth VSTs. Had a virtual band jam earlier in the week but did not go as well - way too much latency to lock in with the drums.