Thread: The One That Got Away - Short Scale Telecaster

The One That Got Away - Short Scale Telecaster

It's probably for the best. Having gotten really into playing short scale acoustic guitars (my KLŌS travel guitar, and now my new Martin LX1RE), I thought maybe I'd like an electric. As some of you know, I've been eyeballing Telecasters of late, and all of a sudden I learned that Fender released a short scale Tele sometime around 2014. How many they made, or what became of them is a mystery, as I can find no information about them anywhere. Oh sure, Musician's Friend and Guitar Center have pages for them, but they are "out of stock" and no indication of future availability. Sigh.

Yesterday, I happened across one on eBay. I wasn't keen on the color, the pickups had been changed, and the price was way too high for my liking (as was the shipping cost). So, I passed on it, but put it on my watch list.

Well, somebody must have liked it because today it's been de-listed (sold). And there's not another to be found. Anywhere.

So, if they are so desired, why did Fender stop making them?

For my part, it's probably just as well. When I have more money coming in than going out, I tend to get a little crazy. I've been eyeing a PRS 35th Anniversary SE Custom 24, but (a) it's not a Tele, and (b) it isn't a short scale (which the PRS 245 is). I haven't gone that crazy, yet.

Re: The One That Got Away - Short Scale Telecaster

OS, I have the same problem--when I have a little extra change, I go for gear. I'm pretty satisfied with what I have now, so I'm going to funnel that money into improvements to house and property.

But the GAS is always strong. I am obsessed with finding a lefty Fender or other 'quality' maker fretless bass, passive pups, line markers because I'd have a hell of a hard time. I also want a double-bass--I think I could learn both jazzy stuff and a bit of classical on it. BUT the force is stronger than the dark side of amassing so much gear that I can't enjoy the good stuff I already have.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison