Thread: Tuners: Safety Posts

Forum Member

Tuners: Safety Posts

When stringing up on these "safety post" tuners, is there a rule of thumb for determining how much string to cut off?

Re: Tuners: Safety Posts

On the wound strings, I cut the string 2 or 3 posts past the post it's going it (cut the low E string at the D or G post, for example). For the plain strings I cut them 3 or 4 posts past the post it's going into then bend the last 1/2" (13mm) of the string into a "V" shape so it binds into the hole a little and doesn't slip.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    On the wound strings, I cut the string 2 or 3 posts past the post it's going it (cut the low E string at the D or G post, for example). For the plain strings I cut them 3 or 4 posts past the post it's going into then bend the last 1/2" (13mm) of the string into a "V" shape so it binds into the hole a little and doesn't slip.
    So on the High E and B strings, you'd kinda loop it over the post and measure going back DOWN, 3-4 posts???

Quote Originally Posted by giddyap View Post
    So on the High E and B strings, you'd kinda loop it over the post and measure going back DOWN, 3-4 posts???
    I don't do it that way but the result would be pretty much the same.