Thread: Issue with New Tone Master Deluxe Reverb

Forum Member

Issue with New Tone Master Deluxe Reverb Attenuator

Hi,

I just joined the Fender Forum and need some help. I recently received a new Tone Master Deluxe Reverb from Sweetwater. I chose this amp because I live in a small apartment and needed an amp that I could play at bedroom volume. The attenuator does work; however, at the lowest output setting of 0.2, it does not get whisper quiet as I was told it would by my salesman and based on what I have heard in video demos of the amp. When I roll the volume past 4, the amp gets much too loud for the 0.2 output setting. I was able to exchange the amp for a new one; however, the new amp is just as loud on the 0.2 output setting. Has anyone else experienced this issue with this amp? If so, has anyone found a solution to the issue? Thanks for any replies on this topic. :)
    Last edited by rjames1973; 07-04-2020 at 12:30 PM.

Re: Issue with New Tone Master Deluxe Reverb

Vinyl, why don't you go somewhere that Fender America is the only topic?

The guy may not be experienced as you are, but that doesn't mean you have to get nasty about his first post. You're new here too, and all I've seen out of you is fits of rudeness. If you're going to stick around, I suggest you change your attitude and act politely.

To answer the OPs question, it's probably just the nature of that amplifier. If it's an unsurmountable problem, you might look at getting a different model of some kind. It would be best if you could go to a shop and try out a few. I haven't had a lot of experience with those amps, but you should be able to find something more acceptable for your needs.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

TFF Stage Crew

Vinyl: I'm asking nicely one last time.

DO NOT attack people because you don't like their question, their choice of gear, or anything else.

I think you have demonstrated that TFF is not a good fit for you. Please adapt to how this forum is run, or find another forum.

Quote Originally Posted by pc View Post
    Vinyl: I'm asking nicely one last time.

DO NOT attack people because you don't like their question, their choice of gear, or anything else.

I think you have demonstrated that TFF is not a good fit for you. Please adapt to how this forum is run, or find another forum.

??? As far as how this forum is run, I totally submit to you. I won't submit to any other poster, including chwillie. He's a post whore.

Goodbye Vinyl. I’m post whoring a farewell to you.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by vinyl View Post
    ??? As far as how this forum is run, I totally submit to you. I won't submit to any other poster, including chwillie. He's a post whore.
    What’s your problem?
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by vinyl View Post
    Submission was never my request. Being decent and respectful to other members was my request. I'm sorry that didn't register. I am also entirely sympathetic to any medical issues you are having, and the emotional toll those may be taking. However, that cannot and will not excuse maltreatment of our members. Hopefully, when and if you return after your one-week suspension, we can move forward in a more positive way.

Forum Member

I'm the OP and just returned to see if I got any replies. I don't know what was said on this thread, but I'm glad I didn't read the deleted posts. Guess I won't be posting any more questions on TFF. LOL! :)

Quote Originally Posted by rjames1973 View Post
    I'm the OP and just returned to see if I got any replies. I don't know what was said on this thread, but I'm glad I didn't read the deleted posts. Guess I won't be posting any more questions on TFF. LOL! :)
    Well, it was by a new member who does not represent the general vibe around here, and what he said was about gear and not worth your seeing. The mods will make sure that it doesn't happen again without making a decision on the case.

The guys here are knowledgeable and help out if they're familiar with a piece of gear. We have our disagreements, but they're a great group of folks.

I don't know what was said either, but that was just one person. This is usually a pretty comfortable place.
    Last edited by Don; 07-19-2020 at 05:13 PM.

That's being just as obnoxious as the poster who got suspended. Don't judge us all by one guy's behavior, especially after seeing other users and the mods being promptly responsive and respectful to you.

It's probably too late now, but in my opinion, you have two options for the tone master deluxe:

1. An additional external attenuator.

2. The tone master is a solid state amp, and doesn't have a need for a "standby" switch. Which is why it has a "mute" switch. That switch mutes the speaker, but leaves the line out jack active. You could use the line out jack to feed a headphone amp or a mixer with headphones.

The tone master amps seem to be getting good reviews in terms of that "Fender" sound, and are considerably lighter in weight than the originals. Hopefully they will prove themselves reliable, and parts will be available later if it becomes necessary.

Forum Member

It seems to me the ToneMaster is not the right amp for a home bedroom user. It has two main use cases:

1. Gig-level amplification duties (play a bar, pub, small club) without lugging the weight of a tube rig.

2. Recording if you want to record it with the balanced output that has a built in digital mic and cab simulation.

It doesn't go down to bedroom level quiet, from my brief play around at a guitar store with it, and certainly, if I turn down my guitar pickups to further quiet it down, it sounds particularly trashy at very low volume levels.

What I use for home bedroom level practice with a nice fully responsive playable amp is a Blackstar HT5R, but this is the Fender forum, and I know Fender makes the right amp for your case too.

I offer my sympathies because it's a problem old as time that we buy the amp for the gig we wish we had (rockstar) and it doesn't fill the roll we have (for me, a computer geek by day, at home guitar player and songwriter by evening light).

If it was me I'd return or sell it and get something with:

a. a headphone output.

b. a TRUE 0.2 to 0.5 watt setting, which means, for good tone, you need a modelling amp, and probably will want one with an app to let you edit the amp characteristics to get the playability you want at bedroom level play. Fender makes much more capable bedroom-level modelling amps. So does everyone else.

And

c. I would go into a store and play it first next time.

I would not buy an amp online, from anyone, ever. Also, a great pair of open back headphones, means you can play and hear a natural soundstage (your room air) plus your guitar sound without anyone else being the wiser. 3 AM practice session? No problem. I use Sennheiser HD6xxx openback headphones for this.

Cheers.

W