Thread: Help? Ric 330 Pup Problem

Help? Ric 330 Pup Problem

Last night when I plugged in my 330, my neck pickup had lost so much volume.

The pickups were at the same volume until I plugged in last night. Somehow it happened when the guitar was sitting idle.

What do you think? Bad pot or bad pup? I've never encountered this in all my years of playing.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Help? Ric 330 Pup Problem

A bad pot will usually cut in and out or make noise as you turn it. Maybe the switch is dirty.

I've only had two pickups fail- both were Carvin C22-N neck pickups on my Carvin DC150. I'm not sure why it happened, especially more then once to the same guitar. I have to suspect that the pickup has a design flaw- perhaps overly tight windings?

Here's a odd one- check the pickup height- I've had a couple of guitars where a pickup changed height on its own- the height spring was too soft and didn't put enough load on the adjustment screw's threads and it backed out over time.

The height seems okay.

And there is zero scratchiness on the switch or pot.

Worst case, I get a new pickup--it's under warranty. It would just be a bitch to deal with.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

my only experience with bad pickups was my new '74 Stratocaster but I was such a green horn I didn't know it could happen and thought it was me.

I had a grounding issue once when I installed new pickups in a LP just before going to a friend's party. Bridge was ok but the neck was like half volume. When i stuffed the braided line back into the pot cavity I didn't push it far enough into the channel and the outside mesh was contacting the neck's volume pot causing a short or grounding issue. Properly dressed the wires and it was fine afterwards.

Maybe somebody assembled your guitar on a day when they had to go to the bathroom really badly and were in a hurry to finish the *&^(# before they left.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

You're probably right, Dan.

This guitar has become my go to. I swear I never expected it. I can't let my other girlfriends find out; the Strat would be really jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    You're probably right, Dan.

This guitar has become my go to. I swear I never expected it. I can't let my other girlfriends find out; the Strat would be really jealous.
    uh oh, you're in trouble. where was the strat the other night? Hell hath no fury like a guitar scorned.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    uh oh, you're in trouble. where was the strat the other night? Hell hath no fury like a guitar scorned.
    The Tele doesn't care and wants a threesome, but the Strat is pissed. While I was sleeping last night, it used a sharpie to write "Bastard" on my forehead. I don't have any tattoos, so I left it on. I don't know, feeling kinda cute.

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Do you have Rick O Sound on that? If so, open it up. Clearances are small in there and it can cause exactly what you are experiencing. Make sure everything is good there. I’ve had it happen on my 360.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
    Do you have Rick O Sound on that? If so, open it up. Clearances are small in there and it can cause exactly what you are experiencing. Make sure everything is good there. I’ve had it happen on my 360.
    The 330s don't have the Rick o Sound.

Someone told me to check the fifth knob--I might have turned the pup down with it.

Well I was coming back with:
    there is a contact in the mono Jack assembly, if it does not make contact, the Neck pickup will not work. You will need to very gently pull it out by a fraction using needle nose pliers so it does make contact. But I think that’s only ROS.

Yees certainly try the 5th knob. It is a master neck pickup vol in relation to the bridge pup. It’s purpose is to balance the pups with their individual vols at max
    Mark

Also, if you are on Facebook, search Mark Arnquist and friend him. He is the master of all things Ric.
    Mark

And when adjusting that 5th knob, have your other vols maxes. Picture doing a Q sweep. Turn that knob till you find the spot where everything changes. That’s where you want it. That know allows you the most flexibility when using the individual pup volumes.
    Mark

It was the fifth knob.

I feel a bit silly. I haven't really touched the fifth knob since I got the guitar.

My ego's bruised, but my 330 is fine.

I feel a bit like those times I thought my amp wasn't working and realized I hadn't plugged in my guitar...

Glad that got sorted. Adjust as I mentioned.
    Mark

that is so cool about Rics, I didn't know they did that. I'll keep that in mind when I get to try one.

Uh-oh, what is that familiar feeling? Should I be concerned?

Get ahold of yerself, Dan. It's just a cool guitar that does a lot more than it's famous for and looks cool as hell because so few people play them. Nothing to get excited about. Sounds incredible, but so do a lot of other really fantastic guitars, and it's okay if a Ric draws you, you can resist.

BUY BUY BUY (subliminal message in all caps)

Rics rock! Love my 360/12 and my 4003 is now my default bass. They are weird creatures though. LOL
    I guess I like something that sounds different from the norm. My most used electric guitar right now is a Brian May.
    Mark

Me too. The only Ric guitar I ever saw live was on a young woman in a Nashville band in the early 80s. I was pretty involved in the music scene then. I rarely saw other bands with a 4001--that's been my main bass since I bought it new in 78. I've lived in a few places, including Europe, and I've played in a lot of clubs--never saw anyone playing a Ric.