Thread: Oh my. Not that I should be surprised ...

Oh my. Not that I should be surprised ...

I shouldn't be surprised that the guitars that I packed back in January when our house was in the throes of humidity levels in the teens are responding to the current 50% levels of my apartment.

We're on the lower levels north side of the building. There's a river just outside our window and there is an outflow channel that exits the building under our unit as well. I have hygrometers all over the apartment and they're consistently reporting 49-55%. Which is fine, once you've adjusted your truss rods.

It was almost comical last night. I got ambitious and wanted to do some recording. I took out my bass. nearly unplayable, zero relief, buzz city. Took out the blue strat. same thing. took out my tele. almost as bad as the other two. I didn't even bother with the Gibson guitars. The Squier strat purchased used fairly recently was slightly better. About the only guitars that are truly playable right now are the two most recent purchases that were set up in the past month, the Esquire and the Epiphone LPC.

Ayup, got my work cut out for me, yes sirree, Bob. That's how I'll celebrate the closing on the sale of the house
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Re: Oh my. Not that I should be surprised ...

decided I didn't want to wait, found my 5mm and 4 mm allen wrenches. Took longer to take out the gig bags and undo the zippers than the actual adjustments. Each guitar except the lake placid blue strat took just a quarter turn, that one took two quarter turns (and I think the low E saddle needs to come up a smidgen). The bass took a quarter turn. Suddenly all the guitars that sounded sour and buzzy last night were sweet and luscious again.

The Esquire was fine.

The Gibson guitars, on the other hand, have to be extra careful to not lose those tiny truss rod cover screws. Not sure if I feel ambitious enough to tackle them. I need to get my work bench mat unpacked and look for the small screwdrivers and truss rod nut driver.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"