Thread: Question AmStd and AmPro Neck Switch--OK?

Question AmStd and AmPro Neck Switch--OK?

I like the neck on my Jazz Bass, fits my hands better than the Precision. As many players have done, I want to switch necks since I play the Precision more. The Precision is an AmPro, the Jazz an AmStd. Fender made some significant changes, and the AmPros, but both models have "staggered tuners". I'm not sure if they're different in any way or whether that would make a difference. I do know the tuning pegs are shaped differently.

I don't think there'll be a problem with the exchange. Any thoughts on the subject?
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Question AmStd and AmPro Neck Switch--OK?

I think it will work just fine. Do it and show us the result.

Quick question, are the strings the same kind? Are the bridges the same? If so, you can switch the necks and the bridges and save the strings.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    I think it will work just fine. Do it and show us the result.

Quick question, are the s
    strings the same kind? Are the bridges the same? If so, you can switch the necks and the bridges and save the strings.
    The bridges are differently made, but whether they fit, I'm not sure. I'm going to wait until I want to change strings. I'm going to put flats on the Jazz when I make the switch. I'll keep the ones on the Precision and just wind them again on the tuners.

I'll definitely post pics. It'll be a while. I've got to get to my pedal board first and then get all of my recording gear set up from scratch.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I like the neck on my Jazz Bass, fits my hands better than the Precision. As many players have done, I want to switch necks since I play the Precision more. The Precision is an AmPro, the Jazz an AmStd. Fender made some significant changes, and the AmPros, but both models have "staggered tuners". I'm not sure if they're different in any way or whether that would make a difference. I do know the tuning pegs are shaped differently.

I don't think there'll be a problem with the exchange. Any thoughts on the subject?
    Did you change them? How's it working out for you?
    Just Curious :)
    CEO of Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbalou88 View Post
    Did you change them? How's it working out for you?
    Just Curious :)
    My OCD kicked in, and I decided that I didn't want to put an AmStd neck on my AmPro P. Instead, I had the JB converted to fretless, and now I love it so much that I'm glad I kept that neck on it.

So I'm in the market for a lefty AmPro JB neck, and it has to be AmProd. On FJ's recommendation, i just contacted Stratosphere.com to see if they can find one for me.