Thread: Swapping Out for DiMarzio Pickups on strat?

Forum Member

Swapping Out for DiMarzio Pickups on strat?

Anyone else make this switch? I swapped out all 3, I think it sounds killer! Here's the sound of me playing it through a Mesa Boogie DC-5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4lMMAwa0oY

I have very minimal processing added to it: just some reverb, and maybe an exciter on a parallel track.

On a side note, this solo by Gilmour is honestly incredible. It's one of my all time favorites, just takes you on a journey.

As far as pickups, I got 2: DiMarzio DP419 Area '67 Hums and 1 DiMarzio DP218 Super Distortion S Strat Hum. I initially made the switch because I wanted to be able to play heavier styles, but it also sounds awesome for lighter stuff.

Forum Member

Re: Swapping Out for DiMarzio Pickups on strat?

deleted
    Last edited by MGW-AB; 02-17-2021 at 09:45 AM.

Hey, man, that sounds fantastic. Nice playing too.

And hello, fellow lefty!
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Dear deity it’s backwards!

Nice playing.

What is the signal chain?

What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

OK.

Time to educate you right handed players:

1). Yes, Dan, we have heard from a million people, "Your guitar is backwards"--it's funny the first time. After we've heard it a few times, we get polite and make a "ha" sound for you all.

2.) Yeah, we could have learned to play right handed. But you know what? Why don't you learn to wipe your butt with the other hand. Get used to that and then talk to me.

3). Sure we complain about the dearth of left-handed models. We know companies have to make a profit and lefty guitars cause them more trouble than not with the machinery and supply and demand. BUT it is very hard to see you all with the millions of choices you have. Play right handed then? READ #2 again

4.) I am being lighthearted here. Love to all my righty brothers and sisters whose guitars are being played BACKWARDS from our lefty point of view.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ParaShift77 View Post
    Anyone else make this switch? I swapped out all 3, I think it sounds killer! Here's the sound of me playing it through a Mesa Boogie DC-5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4lMMAwa0oY

I have very minimal processing added to it: just some reverb, and maybe an exciter on a parallel track.

On a side note, this solo by Gilmour is honestly incredible. It's one of my all time favorites, just takes you on a journey.

As far as pickups, I got 2: DiMarzio DP419 Area '67 Hums and 1 DiMarzio DP218 Super Distortion S Strat Hum. I initially made the switch because I wanted to be able to play heavier styles, but it also sounds awesome for lighter stuff.
    I have an American Standard 2010 with the same DP419-pickups as you and a Dimarzio DP100CR humbucker (also named "Super Distortion") in the bridge position. I have not swapped them myself, it had been done already when I bought it used a year ago. I have not had the possibility to compare them to the original Fender pickups, but I am absolutly happy with them.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    OK.

Time to educate you right handed players:

1). Yes, Dan, we have heard from a million people, "Your guitar is backwards"--it's funny the first time. After we've heard it a few times, we get polite and make a "ha" sound for you all.

2.) Yeah, we could have learned to play right handed. But you know what? Why don't you learn to wipe your butt with the other hand. Get used to that and then talk to me.

3). Sure we complain about the dearth of left-handed models. We know companies have to make a profit and lefty guitars cause them more trouble than not with the machinery and supply and demand. BUT it is very hard to see you all with the millions of choices you have. Play right handed then? READ #2 again

4.) I am being lighthearted here. Love to all my righty brothers and sisters whose guitars are being played BACKWARDS from our lefty point of view.
    Then there is Hendrix.

Really f***s up the equation...

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    Then there is Hendrix.

Really f***s up the equation...
    My first Strat was a righty. I loved that guitar, but playing it upside down was terribly uncomfortable. Hated the knobs in my way. And the horn got in the way.