Thread: Hot Rod de Luxe preamp Tubes (V2)

Forum Member

Hot Rod de Luxe preamp Tubes (V2)

Hi there, recently I was quite concerned about a rather bad, quite thin sounding overdrive channel on my Hot Rod (the former model)
    I had focussed on the input tube (V1) and of course, the power tubes -obviously the clean sound hasn`t been affected.. My local dealer advised me to check the other preamp tube, the second one (V2?) caused my suspicion, as it rattled a bit when touched, and actually I tried a GrooveTubes 12AX-7M that I had as a spare one - I`m not sure if it`s really suitable, but I think I noticed quite a sound difference!
    Any advices or hints about that? Thanks a lot from Germany!

Re: Hot Rod de Luxe preamp Tubes (V2)

Anything 12AX7 regardless of the suffix (in this case M) should be compatible.

It's when you start throwing 12aT7, 12aU7, 12aV7, or 12aY7 in there that changes the gain structure (a 12AT7 has 60% the gain as a 12AX7, for example, which is why you see it used to drive reverb).
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke