Thread: Stiff Tuners on a Highway One

Forum Member

Stiff Tuners on a Highway One

Hi All

I'm currently borrowing a 2009 Highway One Strat, with a view to buying it if I bond with it.

First trouble area I've noticed is how stiff the Machine Heads are, they really take a great effort to turn. Assuming they are stock, these will be 'Ping' tuners... which shouldn't be terrible?

Did some reading and the consensus on Stiff Tuners is that you shouldn't have to grease / lube them. If engineered properly they should turn just fine. Could this just be a duff set?

As I like the guitar for it's 1968 Blackmore Strat vibe, I might consider swapping the tuners for something more like what a 68 might have (although that seems to be a mixed bag between the Klusons and the later F-stamped tuners on various reviews of the Custom Shop Blackmore tribute strat...)

Re: Stiff Tuners on a Highway One

It's possible that someone overtightened the screws that hold the knobs on. Back them off a little and see if that helps. These tuners are sealed and should never nee to be lubricated.

I once had a set of Grover Rotomatics where the grease inside had become sticky and the tuners became very stiff to tune. I sold them to someone who was comfortable taking them apart and cleaning and lubricating them. I imagined remnants of a cleaner or excess grease damaging my Les Paul.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    It's possible that someone overtightened the screws that hold the knobs on. Back them off a little and see if that helps.
    That was it! Thanks! 20yrs of playing guitar and I had no idea you could adjust the play in the tuners!

Quote Originally Posted by odgeUK View Post
    That was it! Thanks! 20yrs of playing guitar and I had no idea you could adjust the play in the tuners!
    That's great! Thanks for letting us know how it turned out.