Thread: Blues Junior Reverb problem driving me nuts

Forum Member

Blues Junior Reverb problem driving me nuts

Hi There,

My reverb stopped working. I didn't use it much but now I really have a need for it. The connections looked good so reading a bit online, I assumed the tank was bad so I replaced it with a MOD tank. And now I can't really tell for sure if this new tank is working. If it is, the reverb is super subtle. To the point where I can't tell if it's working properly. I seem to remember turning up the reverb all the way made for pretty severe shimmering reverb but this just adds a slight subtle "glisten" feeling. So subtle I'm not 100% sure I'm not imagining it. Would love to get advice on how to judge this and whether the issue might be somewhere other than the tank is greatly appreciated.

Thanks and best,

Greg

Re: Blues Junior Reverb problem driving me nuts

...could be something in the cables connecting the amp to the tank. I'd hit the plugs and jacks with some DeOxit and clean them.

Another area to look is a dirty reverb pot. Clean that guy as well.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Not really familiar with the schematic on that amp - is there a tube that drives the Reverb section?
    That might be bad.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

TFF Stage Crew

No tube reverb in the Blues Jr. It's a solid state circuit

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cogs View Post
    bad op amp? or cap. I’m not familiar with its reverb circuit. I use a scope, trace the signal and see where it dies.

Before pulling caps and replacing them, it could be an issue with the cable connected to the PCB. The Hot Rod Amps also have solid state reverb circuits and had a history of connectivity problems. Sometimes, reflowing some solder fixes cold joints.

HOWEVER, it would void any warranty if you do it yourself. Cleaning the reverb pot or cable jacks that connect to the tank shouldn't.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gkillmaster View Post
    Hi There,

My reverb stopped working. I didn't use it much but now I really have a need for it. The connections looked good so reading a bit online, I assumed the tank was bad so I replaced it with a MOD tank. And now I can't really tell for sure if this new tank is working. If it is, the reverb is super subtle. To the point where I can't tell if it's working properly. I seem to remember turning up the reverb all the way made for pretty severe shimmering reverb but this just adds a slight subtle "glisten" feeling. So subtle I'm not 100% sure I'm not imagining it. Would love to get advice on how to judge this and whether the issue might be somewhere other than the tank is greatly appreciated.

Thanks and best,

Greg
    Hand crafted empty pine 1x12 combo unfinished guitar amplifier cabinet .Chassis cutout 12-1/2" x 1-13/16" .20" wide x 16" tall x 10" deep at the bottom and 9-1/4" deep at the top . Slanted front . For Blues Junior chassis .
    Buyer is responsible for drilling holes needed to attach his chassis . The speaker baffle is 3/8" baltic bich plywood and the back back panels are 1/4" baltic birch plywood .

Disclosure , please read . I do not stock inventory , hence I am able to keep prices down . There is a 15 business day turn over time to allow me time to “safely “complete orders that are in the pipe line . Every tool I use to make each cabinet has the potential to inflict horrific trauma . Over the years I have suffered amputations and can honestly say that each accident has been due to being in a rush , hence I have adopted a strict safety policy . I am aware that I lose business due to my 15 day turn over policy , but I am fine with it and thank buyers that do buy from me inspite of my 15 day turn over time policy . Time starts when payment is received

I make each cabinet one at a time from 3/4" pine that I select and assembled with strong beautiful halfblind dovetail glued joinery . All corners are routered for standard corner protectors unless other wise staed . Each cabinet is sanded to a 150 grit when they are mailed . The speaker baffle is 3/8" baltic bich plywood and the back back panels are 1/4" baltic birch plywood .
    Please note : will need more sanding and prep work prior to a natural finish .

I am here to help in any way I can . Buy with confidence . Look at my feedback and see what buyers are saying about their buying expierience when they purchase a cabinet from me . I package all my cabinets very well and insured them for your piece of mind .

3 shipping options offered : Please make your selection at check out . Ebay Global shipping program offered . All foreign buyer will be responsible for paying import tax in their country .

Terms and Conditions : Buyer is responsible for reading this listing entirely in order to be well informed about this item . This item will be insured and I am not responsible if your cabinet arrived damaged . It will be the buyers responsibility to file a claim with the insurance company to recover from loss in the event that this cabinet arrives damaged due to postal rough handling . A signature will be required to receive the package from the USPS postage handler : no exceptions . You must agree to these terms prior to buying . I try to describe all the items I sell on eBay as best I can and take pictures to assist you in making a knowledgeable decision as to weather this is something you may want to buy on or not , So ! please ! only buy if you are serious and know what your looking at . I welcome any questions you may have to assist you on this cabinet . Please contact me with your questions prior to buying so I can help you out . I will be more then glad to assist you in any way I can . If a issue should develop through out the course of a transaction please make contact with me before you post negative feedback so I can have a opportunity to make things right . It is not necessary to post negative feed back . I will do what ever it takes to earn your positive feedback . Your satisfaction is very very important to me . I ship world wide . All USA buyers must have a known address, not a PO box in the lower 48 states . My preferred method of payment is through PayPal because of the assurance I get of receiving payment and you must have a eBay confirmed mailing address . Please do not ask to have your order shipped to a different address other than your eBay confirmed mailing address . I will only ship this cabinet to your eBay confirmed mailing address that you have on file with eBay ! no exceptions . I accept M/C and VISA as other forms of payment .

Hi I wanted to ask, if your BJ also has background noise, like hummmm when you turn it on. You can hear if there is silence but to register a little annoyance ...
    I wanted to know if this is normal!
    Thanks a lo

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cogs View Post

Hi I wanted to ask, if your BJ also has background noise, like hummmm when you turn it on. You can hear if there is silence but to register a little annoyance ...
    Thanks a lo

Quote Originally Posted by nirvana73 View Post
    Hand crafted empty pine 1x12 combo unfinished guitar amplifier cabinet .Chassis cutout 12-1/2" x 1-13/16" .20" wide x 16" tall x 10" deep at the bottom and 9-1/4" deep at the top . Slanted front . For Blues Junior chassis .
    Buyer is responsible for drilling holes needed to attach his chassis . The speaker baffle is 3/8" baltic bich plywood and the back back panels are 1/4" baltic birch plywood .

Disclosure , please read . I do not stock inventory , hence I am able to keep prices down . There is a 15 business day turn over time to allow me time to “safely “complete orders that are in the pipe line . Every tool I use to make each cabinet has the potential to inflict horrific trauma . Over the years I have suffered amputations and can honestly say that each accident has been due to being in a rush , hence I have adopted a strict safety policy . I am aware that I lose business due to my 15 day turn over policy , but I am fine with it and thank buyers that do buy from me inspite of my 15 day turn over time policy . Time starts when payment is received

I make each cabinet one at a time from 3/4" pine that I select and assembled with strong beautiful halfblind dovetail glued joinery . All corners are routered for standard corner protectors unless other wise staed . Each cabinet is sanded to a 150 grit when they are mailed . The speaker baffle is 3/8" baltic bich plywood and the back back panels are 1/4" baltic birch plywood .
    Please note : will need more sanding and prep work prior to a natural finish .

I am here to help in any way I can . Buy with confidence . Look at my feedback and see what buyers are saying about their buying expierience when they purchase a cabinet from me . I package all my cabinets very well and insured them for your piece of mind .

3 shipping options offered : Please make your selection at check out . Ebay Global shipping program offered . All foreign buyer will be responsible for paying import tax in their country .

Terms and Conditions : Buyer is responsible for reading this listing entirely in order to be well informed about this item . This item will be insured and I am not responsible if your cabinet arrived damaged . It will be the buyers responsibility to file a claim with the insurance company to recover from loss in the event that this cabinet arrives damaged due to postal rough handling . A signature will be required to receive the package from the USPS postage handler : no exceptions . You must agree to these terms prior to buying . I try to describe all the items I sell on eBay as best I can and take pictures to assist you in making a knowledgeable decision as to weather this is something you may want to buy on or not , So ! please ! only buy if you are serious and know what your looking at . I welcome any questions you may have to assist you on this cabinet . Please contact me with your questions prior to buying so I can help you out . I will be more then glad to assist you in any way I can . If a issue should develop through out the course of a transaction please make contact with me before you post negative feedback so I can have a opportunity to make things right . It is not necessary to post negative feed back . I will do what ever it takes to earn your positive feedback . Your satisfaction is very very important to me . I ship world wide . All USA buyers must have a known address, not a PO box in the lower 48 states . My preferred method of payment is through PayPal because of the assurance I get of receiving payment and you must have a eBay confirmed mailing address . Please do not ask to have your order shipped to a different address other than your eBay confirmed mailing address . I will only ship this cabinet to your eBay confirmed mailing address that you have on file with eBay ! no exceptions . I accept M/C and VISA as other forms of payment .

Thanks a lo
    A five month old thread. How will a different cabinet solve the problem? The OP has a tank problem, or an OP amp problem.

The tank is analog, the driver and recovery circuit is solid state.

Don't get me wrong, there is a place for cabinet builders. I don't think a 15 day waiting process matters for cabinets. Do you offer covering options? Speaker sizes? Grill cloth?

Is there something about your cabinets that make them better? Something that will magically correct an electronic problem?

I don't begrudge anyone trying to make a buck. I actually admire it. Wish I had woodworking skills, but I don't.

Perhaps you have those skills. Maybe you just need to promote them better.

Me? I don't have those skills. I can fix an electronic problem in most cases, but I couldn't build a cabinet to save my life.

In the mean time, how about setting an example of how you are interested in helping others here, instead of trying to make a buck.

Meanwhile, the OP has not much in the way of suggestions of how to solve his problem. Without someone trying to make money.

Best wishes.
    vinyl

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vinyl View Post
    A five month old thread. How will a different cabinet solve the problem? The OP has a tank problem, or an OP amp problem.

The tank is analog, the driver and recovery circuit is solid state.

Don't get me wrong, there is a place for cabinet builders. I don't think a 15 day waiting process matters for cabinets. Do you offer covering options? Speaker sizes? Grill cloth?

Is there something about your cabinets that make them better? Something that will magically correct an electronic problem?

I don't begrudge anyone trying to make a buck. I actually admire it. Wish I had woodworking skills, but I don't.

Perhaps you have those skills. Maybe you just need to promote them better.

Me? I don't have those skills. I can fix an electronic problem in most cases, but I couldn't build a cabinet to save my life.

In the mean time, how about setting an example of how you are interested in helping others here, instead of trying to make a buck.

Meanwhile, the OP has not much in the way of suggestions of how to solve his problem. Without someone trying to make money.

Best wishes.
    vinyl
    sorry, my message was this:
    Thanks a lot.
    I accidentally copied and pasted an ad I got on ebay! Sorry again. Dario

sorry, my message was this:
    Thanks a lot.
    I accidentally copied and pasted an ad I got on ebay! Sorry again. Dario
    Copied and pasted an ad you got on ebay?

Sell stupid somewhere else, we're all stocked up here.

Reverb in Blues Jr amps is solid state, just as the rectifier (which is actually not "bad", it has advantages and disadvantages compared to all tube units such as more power, less heating, less compression and so on but this is a can of worms that ain't the point here... it's a 90s tube amp after all), so there are many variables off the equation here. I'd do as our friends said up there: check and clean the reverb pot and the tank wiring connections. That'll most likely do the job.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vinyl View Post
    Copied and pasted an ad you got on ebay?

Sell stupid somewhere else, we're all stocked up here.
    Listen, this is the ad link I accidentally sent you. If you want to believe it, fine, otherwise free to think what you want. Good day.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/rawcabs-Blu...-/293788172479

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Reverb in Blues Jr amps is solid state
    Just to clarify, the reverb drive and recovery stages in the Blues Jr are solid state. The reverb itself is not solid state- they still use a spring reverb pan.

I don't think Greg stuck around to hear the forum's advice.

Listen, this is the ad link I accidentally sent you. If you want to believe it, fine, otherwise free to think what you want. Good day.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/rawcabs-Blu...-/293788172479
    So, now you want us to believe you "accidentally" sent us the text of an ad. Now you're sending a link?

If you have a genuine problem, state it. Maybe you'll get some help.

If you want to promote a business, post something in the member's classified, or business classified forums.

I don't believe in "accidents".

Anymore than I believe in TV ads.

Apologies, but you're not believable.

Tons of regulars here. They're not stupid.

Forum Member

FWIW I've bought cabs from Refugio at rawcabs, and I really doubt he would bother to hawk his wares in a post. (Really great work!)

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Just to clarify, the reverb drive and recovery stages in the Blues Jr are solid state. The reverb itself is not solid state- they still use a spring reverb pan.

I don't think Greg stuck around to hear the forum's advice.

It's a spring reverb driven by a solid state opamp and the rectifier is also solid state, which actually has some advantages regarding what this amp is meant to do. The preamp and power are all tube.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    FWIW I've bought cabs from Refugio at rawcabs, and I really doubt he would bother to hawk his wares in a post. (Really great work!)

I think what we have here is a clear case of Occam’s Razor!