Thread: Feedback on my Mexican strat

Forum Member

Feedback on my Mexican strat

I’m not sure what the exact model is, I’ve had this guitar since 2011 and it’s been my number 1 since. All I know is that it’s a Mexican model, I can post pictures if that helps.

My issue, while relatively minor, is this: I get feedback when one singular pickup is activated. Neck, bridge, middle, if only one of them is selected there's feedback. If I’m using two pickups it’s noiseless. The feedback itself is pretty faint and doesn’t hardly bother me at all. It's done this since I’ve had it.

The reason I’m looking into it now is because I just got some sweet ‘59 vintage pickups put in my friend’s old starcaster I bought off him. It doesn’t have this problem at all, and I realize that my strat would be that much better without it.

Anyone had this problem before? Some insight would be much appreciated.

Forum Member

Re: Feedback on my Mexican strat

deleted
    Last edited by MGW-AB; 02-17-2021 at 09:46 AM.

technically that's hum, not feedback. Feedback is when the volume of the speaker is high enough to resonate either the strings or the wire and/or other parts in the pickup itself into vibrating, which goes out the speaker back to the guitar out to the speaker back to the guitar etc, hence the name 'feedback'.

Hum is just the nature of the beast that is the single coil pickup.

if you can play loud enough i.e. you won't be thrown out of wherever you are playing, feedback can be manipulated into sound forms that are an art onto themselves. Jeff Beck was (heck, still is) one of the best. Hendrix is probably the most famous. Listen to the opening of "Foxey Lady" for a prime example of feedback that was intentional.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Yeap. Nature of the beast.

I was browsing Joe Bonamassa’s Instagram the other day and he was playing a very cool 60s Strat he had just acquired.

Someone posted a reply to his video asking what he did about the strat’s hum. His answer: “I turn up the volume”.