Thread: Man, do I really sound that much like Jeff Beck?

Forum Member

Man, do I really sound that much like Jeff Beck?

Hey guys, it’s my first post here in the forum – great to be here! Figure I’d start by sharing my playing with you guys. I’m a lefty and I play an American Pro. Absolutely love this thing, and it’s my first electric guitar where I finally have a whammy bar to play around with!

A piece of feedback I receive often is that I sound a ton like Jeff Beck. It's weird, I don't even consider him a massive influence. I do adore his playing, but never tried to learn any of his songs or anything. It’s probably because I use the bar a lot and sometimes play lead with my fingers such as in this clip - and also my guitar of choice probably doesn't help the whole thing lol. What do you guys think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a62v...ture=emb_title

Re: Man, do I really sound that much like Jeff Beck?

Very nice! Welcome to the forum! I can hear the "Jeff Beck" in the playing, too. There's a lot of his technique in your piece, the bends, the whammy bar, and bare fingers all contribute. I also play without a pick, but I don't sound anything like JB!

Sometimes I find there are players who I don't consider an influence, but I kinda drank in their style accidentally while listening to them. That's a good thing.

Very cool!

What gauge strings do you use? One can't really tell by the video, but they look pretty thick. I believe Beck has gone to a thicker gauge (.012) mostly due to his string bending. I know that Robin Trower not only uses a heavier gauge, but also tunes down a half step (D#) for that reason.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    What gauge strings do you use? One can't really tell by the video, but they look pretty thick. I believe Beck has gone to a thicker gauge (.012) mostly due to his string bending. I know that Robin Trower not only uses a heavier gauge, but also tunes down a half step (D#) for that reason.
    I use 10's!

Thanks for the feedback guys. Yeah that's true - I think that by just hearing him, I subconsciously think "whoa! I want do something like that!" even though I don't actively listen to his music. I think the whammy bar is just an incredibly expressive tool. I've been trying to back away from it, just a little bit! Let my fingers handle some of the emotional bends.