Thread: New Princeton RI Tweed Celestion G12-65 Lots of bass!

Forum Member

New Princeton RI Tweed Celestion G12-65 Lots of bass!

Im a Marshall guy with the studio series I have been itching for some fender cleans and that. I been eyeing the Deluxe and the Princetons HW but they are pricey and have not played them. Well Guitar center had the Tweed princeton so I bought off the shelf for a 100.00 off. Took it to my girls place and cranked it trying to break it in. It has a lot bass! with my Les Paul yeah they can be darker, I had to run it with the bass all the way down and run the treble pretty high. I had fenders in the past I have about 6 hours on the speaker I know it can take 20 to 40 hours to sound its best so i wonder if people have the same experience with these. It does breakup nice though.

Forum Member

Re: New Princeton RI Tweed Celestion G12-65 Lots of bass!

sounded much better today with the strat just needed some more loud breaking time:)

there's no question that Fenders play nice with single coils. You should try a tele through a Princeton, oh yeah

I have a tweed princeton with the 12 inch cannabis rex speaker. I doubt if it has 10 hours on it yet so I'm still in the breaking in period I guess. One of these fine days I'm going to unpack it (I moved into an apartment 4 months ago and had been busy prepping former home for sale) and start serenading my neighbors with it.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    there's no question that Fenders play nice with single coils. You should try a tele through a Princeton, oh yeah

I have a tweed princeton with the 12 inch cannabis rex speaker. I doubt if it has 10 hours on it yet so I'm still in the breaking in period I guess. One of these fine days I'm going to unpack it (I moved into an apartment 4 months ago and had been busy prepping former home for sale) and start serenading my neighbors with it.
    Have a squier affinity tele:) 2 les pauls Epi and a Gibson and 2 Strats Hendrix and a Players and a EVH:) lots of great 5 stars reviews with the C rex speaker and the Prince

Is this a 50s Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) or a 65 RI Princeton Reverb RI in Tweed covering?
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NTBluesGuitar View Post
    Is this a 50s Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) or a 65 RI Princeton Reverb RI in Tweed covering?
    65 in tweed

I've got a BFPR reproduction I built that I used a G12L-35 in and I like it.

"...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post

Let us know how that C-Rex sounds after you really break it in.

Srini

Forum Member

I ended up taking the amp back it was pretty dam good but i originally wanted a higher headroom so I got the Deluxe:) man its a full sounding beast.

There we go!

I've had my RI since 2008, and over the years, it's just gotten warmer and sweeter.

Which model Deluxe did you get, the RI or a Tweed, etc?
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    There we go!

I've had my RI since 2008, and over the years, it's just gotten warmer and sweeter.

Which model Deluxe did you get, the RI or a Tweed, etc?
    RI :) why in the hell do they put JJ preamp tubes in these? I put a Tungsol in the v2 for my vibrato channel it tightened the bass up nicely. The JJ are dark tubes/bassy and they are in my marshalls studio amp which I like. Princeton had the Sovteks.

Quote Originally Posted by ken374 View Post
    RI :) why in the hell do they put JJ preamp tubes in these? I put a Tungsol in the v2 for my vibrato channel it tightened the bass up nicely. The JJ are dark tubes/bassy and they are in my marshalls studio amp which I like. Princeton had the Sovteks.
    I had to change all of my tubes almost immediately after getting the amp. I believe the originals were JJs in mine too.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

I had to change all of my tubes almost immediately after getting the amp. I believe the originals were JJs in mine too.
    dark and bassy what did you put in?

Quote Originally Posted by ken374 View Post
    dark and bassy what did you put in?
    I'll have to give it a look-over. I am non-technical when it comes to amps and pay little attention to that sort of thing.

My DRRI was vurrry trebly when I first got it. Amp still sounded really good, but after about 3 or 4 years, it broke in and became one of the best sounding amps I've ever heard. And I get that same thing from other players when they hear it.

Forum Member

I'll have to give it a look-over. I am non-technical when it comes to amps and pay little attention to that sort of thing.

My DRRI was vurrry trebly when I first got it. Amp still sounded really good, but after about 3 or 4 years, it broke in and became one of the best sounding amps I've ever heard. And I get that same thing from other players when they hear it.
    I have the C12K speaker doesn't seem too bright. Yours is probably different, Glad yours is still performing good:)