Thread: Harley (Not The Motorcycle) Benton

Harley (Not The Motorcycle) Benton

I posted a question on the Telecaster forum about Harley Benton guitars, and no one has answered. I am curious, because I see a lot of very positive reviews on these extremely affordable guitars. Why aren't they more popular, and why do people here seem to avoid talking about them?

Re: Harley (Not The Motorcycle) Benton

I don't think most people avoid talking about them. It's more likely they aren't aware of them and the name doesn't draw them in to look at the thread.

I thought I posted this.

Harley Bentons are prevalent in Europe, not so much here. They're a low cost, good quality instrument, but I'd want to try before I buy.

When I lived in Germany, I bought HB picks and other accessories because they cost less and were of equal quality.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Thanks, Willie. That pretty much confirms what I thought. One down side, as I understand it, is that the company (Thomann Music) doesn't offer refunds. So, if your purchase is a pig, they may exchange it, but you can't just return it.

Yep, I did my shopping at Thomann.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I'm not a cork sniffer in any way, most of you guys know me and know that...

But I confess that I have little or no interest in just another company that produces "legal" knockoffs with cheap parts and shady labor just to help supporting a company.

No, thank you.

Harley Bentons are probably on the level of good Squiers. As it is in Brazil, so it is in Europe--American guitars are much more expensive there, as you would guess. They're good entry level instruments for folks who don't have a lot of money to spend.

Unless I found a unique model, I'd probably not buy a HB, but it's the same with Squiers--if I found a good model in lefty that I wanted, I'd get it, regardless of brand name.

I've never been interested in Harley Benton. I used to subscribe to the UK Guitar Techniques magazine - HB products all over the ads in that mag. Interesting product range for guitars of all types, super inexpensive compared to their mainstream brand counterparts but nothing that would entice me to order one, especially from overseas. Our exchange rate with the Pound sucks anyways.

I could just as easily find similar products at better prices in the bricks and mortar stores here in town. Jay Turser being the predominant budget brand. OLP used to be prevalent around here as well. No thanks.

I'm not a massive cork-sniffer either - I've owned Squiers and Epis. My favourite acoustic that I own is a Yamaha FG400. And I've owned Taylor and Gibson acoustics!

Actually, now that I look at my rack, all my guitars and basses are non-American right now - mongrel MIJ P bass, Sterling MM bass, Ibanez and Yamaha acoustics, Squier Tele, PRS SE, Gold Tone lap steel. Only American instrument I own is a Beck Musical Instruments (BMI) S10 pedal steel.

In terms of my Fender history - mostly MIM, with one US CS, one Chinese and one MIJ.

Amps are a mix: China-made Ampeg bass amp, '64 Gibson GA-19 RVT, Peavey Nashville 112.
    Last edited by dirtdog; 06-18-2020 at 06:48 AM.

I like the look (and price!) of some of their guitars, but I'm more tempted by accessories. If the shipping on one of the DIY kits wasn't the same as a complete guitar, I might give it a try. But the total price becomes nearly the equivalent of buying a whole guitar, so my interest wanes.

I've never tried my hand at guitar building or modding. I'm not sure I have the tools, the technique or honestly, the interest to go at it piecemeal.

OS, I think you're smart not to waste your time with a HB, much less a kit. You can find equal quality instruments in just about any shop and can try them in person. I'm not a cork sniffer, but after you've been playing your worthy collection of guitars, I don't think you'd be happy with a HB.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    OS, I think you're smart not to waste your time with a HB, much less a kit. You can find equal quality instruments in just about any shop and can try them in person. I'm not a cork sniffer, but after you've been playing your worthy collection of guitars, I don't think you'd be happy with a HB.