Thread: Can someone explain string spacing on the road worn strat to me?

Forum Member

Can someone explain string spacing on the road worn strat to me?

Hello.
    Recently I picked up a road worn strat with the intention up upgrading parts. I was Under the impression that while made in Mexico, they were vintage correct in that I could use high quality replacement parts just like the originals. I thought compatibility and spacing would be exact. However, after noticing the strings on the fretboard I’m confused. Seeing the high e string so close to the edge of the fretboard will drive me crazy.
    1) are the roadworn strat guitars not the same layout as a vintage strat?
    2) why is the e string so close to the edge of the fretboard. Is this a body issue, a bridge issue, a quality control issue? Or just that the neck has to be shifted in the pocket?
    3) not sure if it’s the spacing that bugs me, but more how the strings are offset on the fingerboard.
    3) can I correct this, or did fender make this inaccurate intentionally ?
    Last edited by bluesroom; 06-13-2020 at 05:53 AM.

Re: Can someone explain string spacing on the road worn strat to me?

If the strings are not centered on the fretboard you can often loosen the neck screws and nudge the neck over a bit towards the side where the strings are farther from the edge. Don't push it too hard. Occasionally the bridge is off center and it can't be corrected this way.

I believe the Roadworn has the wider vintage string spacing (2-7/32" at the bridge).

Callaham sells a bridge that has vintage 2-7/32" mounting screw spacing with modern 2-1/16" string spacing. There may be lower priced alternatives.

https://www.callahamguitars.com/stra...vn_catalog.htm

I've had to do 'chiropractic' adjustments on guitar necks before. Also check the bridge saddles. They are not fixed in place being held by string tension. Sometimes the high E gets a little wide. If there's a gap between the B and E saddles, loosen the E string a little bit and push the E saddle snug against the B saddle. It doesn't take a lot to get the E back away from the edge of the neck. Set up on guitars is a game of thousands of an inch.

I had build a strat and had the same issue with the high E. There wasn't much room when I tried the neck adjustment and it didn't do much to move the string. Then I noticed the high E saddle

a simple tweak

and all was well.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Keep in mind 2 7/32 is vintage spacing. They correctly copied the original dimension which was not
    optimim
    Mark

Forum Member

So should I go with the Callaham v/n bridge spacing to correct this? Vintage compatible
    bridge mount with closer string spacing ?

If only the high E is close to the edge (and not the low E), I'd try adjusting the neck slightly as described above. The Callaham bridges will not correct the issue of the strings not being centered on the fingerboard.
    If you are able to center the strings on the fingerboard and still think you'd prefer narrower string spacing then I'd recommend the Callaham (or other brand) bridge with vintage mounting and narrow spacing.